Honey Expiration?

Options
Does honey expire? I have a bottle of honey in my pantry that I know has been in there for over a year but I cant find an expiration date on it anywhere. Honey is kind of expensive so I'd rather not waste it if I dont have to...does anybody know how long its shelf life should be?

Replies

• joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Ask your husband to try it, then wait 24 hours!

Seriously, honey is basically just sugar so if you don't see something growing on it or smell something, I'm 90% sure it's fine. (But see my other post for more background on my attitude on these things.)
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    lol I had to laugh at this!
  • stephr2014
    stephr2014 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Honey does not expire.
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    Honey doesn't expire. Weird but true.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    no - honey is nature's perfect food. They found honey in the pyramids over 3000 yrs old & still good. It never spoils - in fact, you can use it as a preservative. Did you know you can also put it on scrapes as an anti-bacterial? yes. My grand-kids (& kids used to) LOVE it when I put honey on their boo-boos. It doesn't sting and doesn't scar.
    I keep honey in my house at all times - fresh on the comb (of course) is best
  • Amandajean1105
    Amandajean1105 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Funny Funny.... But I'd agree, i've always heard that it does not expire.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I ate 21 year old honey and I'm still here. I didn't know it was that old until AFTER I'd eaten it but it tasted fine. The honey I have in now has been in for about 2 years and there's nothing wrong with it.
  • fitsaxon
    fitsaxon Posts: 57
    Options
    Might be OK!

"Honey never goes bad. It was reported that archaeologists found 2000 year old jars of honey in Egyptian tombs and they still tasted delicious!"

http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/honey-facts.html
  • scantrll
    scantrll Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am a beekeeper and I can say that honey doesn't expire. Even if it crystalizes all you have to do is put the bottle in hot water and stir to make it back into smooth honey. Just don't microwave honey, it can ruin honey for some reason (don't ask me why tho! LOL).
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    Found this link online about honey hope this helps!

http://scienceline.org/2007/04/ask-westly-crystallizedhoney/
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

Hahahaha!!!!

I use the 'sniff it and see' on a lot of things, but I don't think honey would go off as it's basically sugar...
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks everybody! :)
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    Options
    Bacteria can not grow in honey... hence the reason it is the "perfect food" and can be used as an antibacterial, or a preservative. With the high concentration of sugar in honey, nothing bad can grow in it. So it remains good, forever (literally).
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    it's fine x
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have pretty old honey, but all it's done is crystalize. And maybe I am really weird, but I actually like it better that way... hahaha!
  • hello_kitty3
    hello_kitty3 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have found an expiration date on some honey I had in my pantry and it was over a year past that date and nobody got sick when I used it lol
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options

Seriously, honey is basically just sugar so if you don't see something growing on it or smell something, I'm 90% sure it's fine. (But see my other post for more background on my attitude on these things.)

Haha. Having read your other post this made men lol a lot
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options

"Honey never goes bad. It was reported that archaeologists found 2000 year old jars of honey in Egyptian tombs and they still tasted delicious!"

I always wondered who was the poor sap who had to taste that honey. He probably thought that was the end of the line for him. :)
  • aharmeson
    Options
    Honey doesn't expire. It does sometimes crystalize, if this happens you can just heat it up in and it should return to normal.