Relationship Advice

Options
Blooperss
Blooperss Posts: 42 Member
My ex and I dated for 8 months before we went our separate ways because he wanted more (moving in together, etc) and I couldn't give that to him with where I'm at in life - just not a good place mentally.

We ended things around July when he told me he was in love with me, but now it's October and he's already dating someone else and getting ready to move in with her. I'm absolutely devastated because I feel like I missed out on the love of my life. How on earth do people move on that quickly? It's like those 8 months meant nothing and all those memories meant nothing.

I know I need to just move on as well but I'm truly perplexed as to how someone can say and show me how much they loved me to only be in another serious relationship right away. I know he was very invested and in love with me during our time together, I have zero doubts about that. He said that I'd be the girl he'd marry and have kids with one day. Just need some insight into this.

Replies

• Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    Ppl are strange- some folks have to have someone and can’t be alone - I was with my ex for 20 years - she was dating a week after I left ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ moved in with the dude with in 6 months - you cant dwell on what goes on in some one else’s head cause the human mind is a fascinating thing amarite @isalsayourface123 and you’ll never know that thought process-

Sorry you’re hurting, it gets easier . Trust me
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Sorry that you’re going through this. Breakups are hard enough in themselves but even harder when the other person moves on so quickly.

Here’s my perspective. My previous relationship was intense! In all of the best & worst ways. It was so toxic: yet I loved him more than I’ve ever loved anyone before. We were together for 12 years!! We would break up for a bit & end up back together. The final time that I left him was in the month of November- by January I was dating someone else & he had moved in with me. Total rebound looking back. If you truly love someone then you don’t just get over them that quick. I had gotten so used to being in a relationship though that I didn’t even know how to be alone.

With that being said- a lot of people can’t deal with being alone. They need to be needed, wanted, etc.. I don’t think him moving on so quickly is a reflection of what he felt for you: I’m sure he meant what he said & how we felt.

It’s so easy to get into our own heads; replay conversations, etc.. Don’t second guess what you had. What you may have to do though is accept the fact that he has moved on. You can question things on & on, but you’re only destroying yourself in the process. Accept what has happened & work on healing yourself from the break.
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    This probably isn’t the best place to ask for serious relationship advice. I’d say he probably wants what he wants, as in moving in and kids, and you didn’t want it so he found someone who did. Love is relative. It ebbs and flows so don’t think that you will never find another love of your life. You will.

What are you talking about - This IS the most serious place in all of mfp is it not?? I mean once you scrape away the sarcasm and wit is not all bad - look at that serious sound advice you just spewed out

a8g0x13v53dn.gif
  • Blooperss
    Blooperss Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sorry that you’re going through this. Breakups are hard enough in themselves but even harder when the other person moves on so quickly.

Here’s my perspective. My previous relationship was intense! In all of the best & worst ways. It was so toxic: yet I loved him more than I’ve ever loved anyone before. We were together for 12 years!! We would break up for a bit & end up back together. The final time that I left him was in the month of November- by January I was dating someone else & he had moved in with me. Total rebound looking back. If you truly love someone then you don’t just get over them that quick. I had gotten so used to being in a relationship though that I didn’t even know how to be alone.

With that being said- a lot of people can’t deal with being alone. They need to be needed, wanted, etc.. I don’t think him moving on so quickly is a reflection of what he felt for you: I’m sure he meant what he said & how we felt.

It’s so easy to get into our own heads; replay conversations, etc.. Don’t second guess what you had. What you may have to do though is accept the fact that he has moved on. You can question things on & on, but you’re only destroying yourself in the process. Accept what has happened & work on healing yourself from the break.

Thank you so much for the insight, Melissa. You were right on point - I was starting to doubt everything we had because what's the point of loving someone knowing that it could possibly not be real? I care for him a lot, I hope he's not rushing into that relationship and making a lifelong decision that quickly. But I know that I also need to move on, it just hurts because I still feel the same way about him. I couldn't fathom dating anyone at this point, let alone move in with them.
  • isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »
    Ppl are strange- some folks have to have someone and can’t be alone - I was with my ex for 20 years - she was dating a week after I left ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ moved in with the dude with in 6 months - you cant dwell on what goes on in some one else’s head cause the human mind is a fascinating thing amarite @isalsayourface123 and you’ll never know that thought process-

Well, I can only speak for my mind. It's pretty simple. Food and working out. That's about all I got going on in there.

Oddly enough i did this exact same scenario recently...he couldn't give me what i needed so i moved on. Except i dont have a serious boyfriend already...but give me another week.

Eta: this isn't exactly like my scenario...this some similarities...and maybe I didnt really love the guy...I dunno🤷‍♀️
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Except i dont have a serious boyfriend already...

you must not have received my pm's ??

drat.

• isalsayourface123
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Except i dont have a serious boyfriend already...

you must not have received my pm's ??

drat.

Haha...you are fast. Come here you.
  • RevGym2
    RevGym2 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Well, I can only speak for my mind. It's pretty simple. Food and working out. That's about all I got going on in there.

Oddly enough i did this exact same scenario recently...he couldn't give me what i needed so i moved on. Except i dont have a serious boyfriend already...but give me another week.

Eta: this isn't exactly like my scenario...this some similarities...and maybe I didnt really love the guy...I dunno🤷‍♀️

The more I see people on here not doing the healthy things and then I see you doing healthy things the more I realize how we should become great friends, maybe even more. I’m glad to hear you don’t have a serious boyfriend.

Can I get your pager number?
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    MarcyMavin wrote: »
    I’d say if he moved on that quickly, it’s obvious he wasn’t the love of your life or you of his. You didn’t miss out on anything.

This ^^^^

It sounds like he had his future mapped out and you didn't agree with his timeline. You should be thankful he moved on so quickly.

Don't forget your time together. We grow as individuals with every relationship. You'll meet the love of your life some day. 💙
  • isalsayourface123
    Options
    RevGym2 wrote: »

The more I see people on here not doing the healthy things and then I see you doing healthy things the more I realize how we should become great friends, maybe even more. I’m glad to hear you don’t have a serious boyfriend.

Can I get your pager number?

Listen @RevGym2 you need to upgrade to this if we will ever have a future together

pkwy34fawmyv.jpg

I need to hear all the fitness advice and words of encouragement daily. Maybe even hourly.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    OP, You are young. 8 months seems to you at this time like a large chunk of your life, and it is. Move on. It becomes of less significance each day. Eventually, it's just part of your education that makes you who you'll become.
  • FitGirl_Running
    FitGirl_Running Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The fact that he moved on so quickly says a lot about him. I'd say you dodged a bullet. Be thankful and go on your merry way.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    The fact that he moved on so quickly says a lot about him. I'd say you dodged a bullet. Be thankful and go on your merry way.

yeah, this is probably very true.

I'm dodged a bullet or two in my day, I damn sure have..... been clipped a couple of times too.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't waste time stressing about this guy. Your memories are important and what you felt for him is, too. But it's over and as much as that hurts, people move on. Fast, slow, or whatever. They just do.

After major breakups, I've waited more than a year to date again...and I've started dating again in 6 days. Neither was really the right or wrong amount of time, in my opinion.

Relationships in general are all about timing. It doesn't mean that a person is *necessarily* rebounding if they start up again quickly. For me, I dated 5 guys right after my divorce proceedings started and #5 wound up being my second husband. If you had asked me at that time, I would think it was crazy to be dating so soon and never thought I'd get married again in the first place. You just never know.

I know some people are very obvious rebounders and have to be deeply enmeshed in a new relationship almost immediately after a breakup. That's their problem. But don't be afraid to move on in your own time. It doesn't mean the previous relationship wasn't important or real. It's just over.

As others have said...it does get easier. Like any other difficulty in life, the intensity very gradually starts to fade.