Why is it so hard to stay motivated?!

Options
I want to workout regularly, I just can’t find the motivation to get out there and do it. I always have an excuse that I’m too busy, have no time, will do it tomorrow, etc... any tips on making fitness into a lifestyle rather than viewing it as a chore? Thanks!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What type of exercise do you like? My favorite is hiking or biking, not a chore for me. Find some sort of exercise, some thing that gets you moving it will not be a chore for you either.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Friends. Setup times to workout. It is harder to back out when you are the one setting it up.

Find something you like. I like to run. I hate going to the gym or running on a dreadmill so I go outside... With friends. And I setup early morning runs. I also have goals (future races and paces). It keeps me motivated and accountable. Find something that keeps you motivated and accountable.

Good luck.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    For me I am goal oriented. Walking to beat friends and family step count averages on Fitbit. Running using a training plan to improve my pace and/or distance. My sister and I text each other often to keep each other accountable. Tracking my progress on apps helps me see what kind of progress I am making toward my goals.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Find something you like. I like to run. I hate going to the gym or running on a dreadmill so I go outside... With friends. And I setup early morning runs. I also have goals (future races and paces). It keeps me motivated and accountable. Find something that keeps you motivated and accountable.

Good luck.

I second the goal setting. I had a medical scare last year and said enough was enough. I signed up for a 5k, paid for RunKeeper app for the training program and tracking (although there are plenty of free options available), and told people about my goal. Occasionally they would ask how things were going. My husband would help encourage as well.

• MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I set a fitness goal and I have a SCARY ( but respected) friend:trainer to keep me accountable to those goals. Haven’t messed up since starting that.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You have to turn it into a habit and keep an eye firmly on your goal. They say that if you want it enough you will find a way, and if you don't you will find an excuse. You also need to find things you enjoy about exercise - or find ways of enjoying what you don't initially like. For instance, I used to shun exercise because I am not sporty or physically gifted. I was the girl who was always picked last for any school games team. The fear of being bad at physical activity meant I was not prepared to risk doing any of it, especially in public.

However I have always been good at 'fake it till you make it' and when I took an interest in physical exercise, I guess that is what I did. Instead of trying to hide in the background I just swallowed my pride and did weird and wonderful challenging stuff. In public. Nobody else in our gym does Turkish Get Ups, let alone starting out without any weight but balancing a yoga block on their fist to practice getting the balance right. I quickly discovered nobody stared and laughed. The only comments I get are from people genuinely interested in what I am doing and why.

I'm off at a tangent now, so will stop, but my basic point is that telling myself it was OK to do something uncomfortable and doing it resulted in my finding out it was not only OK but became enjoyable. It could be as simple as saying "that was really fun" after every work out even if it didn't feel like fun while you were doing it.
  • zippie2223
    zippie2223 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Listen to this when you start to lie to yourself

https://youtu.be/6YjAk_l71Vk
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Dcouture11 wrote: »
    I want to workout regularly, I just can’t find the motivation to get out there and do it. I always have an excuse that I’m too busy, have no time, will do it tomorrow, etc... any tips on making fitness into a lifestyle rather than viewing it as a chore? Thanks!

Look at like brushing your teeth and taking a shower. You like feeling cleaning right?
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    When you start seeing results
    THAT will "motivate" you to hit the gym or whatever you like doing.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    my #1 motivation is health. I am 54 and probably double your age. down 74 lbs as of today. Don't think about it, just do it!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Set goals.

Prioritize your goals for best time to adhere to them.

Not to beat you up, but excuses involving time are just that...excuses.

• steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Action usually comes before motivation. You need to start doing something and seeing results before the motivation to continue doing it really kicks in. Start small and build the habit... ex. make a plan of accomplishing 15 minutes of physical activity a day, that could be a 15 min walk, 15 min home body weight workout (push-ups, lunges, planks, squats, dips, repeat), 15 min bike ride, 15 min free weight, whatever. Once you get into the routine, build on it. Starting is the hardest part, often once you get started, you'll find the motivation to do more. Good Luck.
  • MrKilt
    MrKilt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Find someone to tell you to get off your lardy a55. When you start getting into it Nd seeing results, you will physicalky start to feel withdrawal symptoms if you do NOT work out. Dont be afraid to ask someone to kick your *kitten* for the first while. Thats why MFP exists.
  • LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    apullumapullum

It’s simple: you don’t stay motivated.

Motivation is temporary. If your workout plan relies on motivation, then it’s not sustainable.

Find activities you enjoy, and make them a routine. Routines are sustainable. Motivation is not

Totally agree with this. The neat thing about starting simple and TRACKING your results is how you want to do better each day. Note that word WANT, not have to, WANT TO. If you start with walking, then write it down (or get an app to track your walks) every day how far you went, what speed you walked, how long you walked, how you felt after you walked. And then you walk every day, even when you don't feel like it. Even if you are tired, or blue, or stressed, or whatever. And when you get home and you write down what you did, and you will feel GREAT that you did something for yourself. You will build self-discipline, you will have pride in yourself, and you will look forward to the next day. I know this because I was where you are now, and I am NEVER going to go back to that pathetic, whiney person again!

The ball's in your court now, go for it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Any fun activity that involves moving your body will burn calories. Any fun activity that challenges you a little (and continues to do so over time) will build fitness.

A lot of people think exercise has to be miserable and exhausting in order to be good for you. It's a lie.

There are hundreds of ways to move more: Group classes of many kinds, machines (elliptical, cross trainer, stair climber, etc.), sports (basketball, tennis, golf, badminton, soccer, ice hockey, etc.), swimming, cycling, active video or VR games, skating (ice, roller, inline), canoeing/kayaking/rowing, running/jogging, dozens of kinds of dance (ballet, tap, swing, line, belly, pole, square, polka, etc.), hiking, parkour, skiing (snow or water), playing tag and other games with children, Crossfit, strength training, disc golf, curling, bowling . . . I could go on and on.

Find some fun way of moving your body - ideally one you personally find so much fun you'd do it even if it weren't good for you. That's the sweet spot. Make friends who do it, too, as a bonus motivator.

Now? You're missing out. For real. ;)
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It took me some time but eventually I stopped at the long term scenario. Now I think only about the next day - prepare a simple meal plan, take it meal by meal, day by day. Exercise: I put on my walking shoes - if I manage that, then I am A for away.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If motivation were easy, you wouldn't need it!! :wink: