Does anyone actually like Angel Food Cake?

Replies

• not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    edited October 2019
    I’ve never had it, don’t know if it’s really a ‘thing’ in the UK or at least in the same form as in the US. We have Angel Cake 🍰 , which is usually a striped layer cake in the same flavour/colours as Neapolitan Ice Cream; chocolate, vanilla and strawberry.

I have thought of trying to make it though, at various times but have hesitated because I have no idea whether a recipe looks legit or not since I don’t know what I’m aiming for! I imagine it being a very light, very close textured thing, like a Genoese Sponge but with less flavour?

Based entirely on the reaction of the contestants on one episode of The Great British Bakeoff, I'm going with it's not a thing in the UK. The contestants were all perplexed by it and totally baffled by the cake tin (you cool it upside down). Properly made it's delicious and light. Usually I've served/had it with berries and whipped cream.
  • nancydriedger
    nancydriedger Posts: 48 Member
    I love it, could eat the whole damn cake in one sitting without frosting. I actually substituted angel food cake for bread to make french toast once. It was really good.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I love it, could eat the whole damn cake in one sitting without frosting. I actually substituted angel food cake for bread to make french toast once. It was really good.

This is an idea I didn't know I needed in my life, but now that I know, I have a gap to fill.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    Which is better/worse...Angel food or pound cake?

They're both better, neither is worse. ;)
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    grew up with it. Had it on every birthday all 5 of us kids. My mom made it out of a box and served it with strawberies and whipped cream.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I generally do not like it - but it's good cutting up in cubes and toasting them.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    I generally do not like it - but it's good cutting up in cubes and toasting them.

Oh that would be good... or with warm berries
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    i LOVE angel food cake. alas, i can no longer eat wheat - cheap supermarket angel food cake was my fave.
  • RachellaJ
    RachellaJ Posts: 58 Member
    No, because the only time I’ve had it was when my grandma served it when I was a kid. It was always store bought, dry, and topped with frozen or canned fruit and fat free frozen yogurt. Totally disappointing dessert for a kid. But grandma was always kind of half-dieting and it was the late 80’s and early 90’s, so fat free was king. There were a lot of Snackwells (remember those?) and health food store cookies made with fruit juice. Maybe if I had a homemade one I would like it, but it wouldn’t be my first choice.
  • pancakerunner
    RachellaJ wrote: »
    No, because the only time I’ve had it was when my grandma served it when I was a kid. It was always store bought, dry, and topped with frozen or canned fruit and fat free frozen yogurt. Totally disappointing dessert for a kid. But grandma was always kind of half-dieting and it was the late 80’s and early 90’s, so fat free was king. There were a lot of Snackwells (remember those?) and health food store cookies made with fruit juice. Maybe if I had a homemade one I would like it, but it wouldn’t be my first choice.

I think this is the same for me!! We would have it whenever my mom was on hr low-fat kick... ahhhh
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Its the of the few desserts I like... but I'm not a huge dessert person. I eat it with whipped cream and strawberries.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 247 Member
    Toasted with butter. Or with strawberries and whipped cream. Oh and lastly my grandmother had to make it.
  • pancakerunner
    Its the of the few desserts I like... but I'm not a huge dessert person. I eat it with whipped cream and strawberries.

I came across this recipe and it actually looks good.
    https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51178/seven-minutes-in-heaven-food-cake/rixxoxy16mzs.jpg

• Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    I make my own and serve it with freshly picked raspberries from my backyard and just whipped whipping cream! 🍰🍰🍰
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,636 Member
    Angelfood cake is delicious when presented with copious amounts of dense sugar frosting. Think of it as a vehicle for eating the frosting.

They sold angel food cake with chocolate frosting at the local bakery near where I grew up. When Mom and I went down there to buy dessert for dinner guests, I'd ask and ask for her to buy that cake. But she always bought coffee cake instead. Either that or pineapple rum cake (which I did NOT appreciate at the time).
  • mrslyng
    mrslyng Posts: 1 Member
    I love it. Have since I was a child. My mom use to make me one on my birthday every year and I still get one for my birthday, just not made for me
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member

I came across this recipe and it actually looks good.
    https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a51178/seven-minutes-in-heaven-food-cake/rixxoxy16mzs.jpg

They had me at 4 cups whipping cream, never mind a double batch of chocolate pudding.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    The texture reminds me of the inside of a cheap sofa but sure, I'll eat it.

I've never had homemade. Probably way better. I see someone shared the lovely and talented Claire Saffitz's version and I would 100% try that!
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    I make mine by adding a large can of sliced peaches in juice, instead of adding water. Delicious with low-fat yogurt topping!
  • pancakerunner
    adotbaby wrote: »
    I make mine by adding a large can of sliced peaches in juice, instead of adding water. Delicious with low-fat yogurt topping!

Oh, that would be good!