finding difficult to Over head press

Replies

• fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    wiigelec wrote: »
    Also a video of your press would help identify any form issues that may be hindering your progress...

some of you were really rude and mean to me here, i lost track of the abuse i received here, in my PMs etc. so no, i will not be sharing any videos of myself here.
  • fitpal02020
    erickirb wrote: »
    jonmarrow wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    so i recently started doing stronglifts, thanks everyone for the suggestion. its helping me a lot.
    i have some questions:

-when will i start seeing my biceps getting bigger?
    -my sleep has drastically improved ever since i started this program, in fact too much to the point dont want to get up for work. is this a normal benefit?
    -i am having difficulty doing OP. The basic premise for me to do this program was that I would gain strength and become stronger. I am noticing slight increases in strength with all other works that are part of this program such as squats, bench press etc. EXCEPT for over head press.
    Last time I had to do 60 lbs of over head. I was able to do it but it took a lot from me. Took a lot of effort.
    So to others who started this program, did you face this challenge and how did you overcome it?

@jonmarrow maybe I've missed it, but I didn't see you talking about your actual workouts since your OP on Sept 27. Have you been working out this week? How's it been going?

yes I am happy to share my progress. However, my main concern, which is why opened this discussion seems to have been lost in translation and would appreciate if someone could suggest how I should modify my routine in order to move further in this program:

LAST WORKOUTS:

Friday, 4th October 2019:

-Squats: 105 lbs-5x5
    -*Overhead press: 65 lbs-3x5, 2x4
    -Deadlift: 145 lbs-1x5

Wednesday, 2nd October 2019:

-Squats: 95 lbs-5x5
    -BenchPress: 85 lbs-5x5
    -Barbell Row: 95 lbs-5x5

As you can see from the above the problem for me is *Overhead press. Cleary I am not good at this. I was able to 3 sets of 5 reps each some what successfully but the time i got to 4 and 5, I couldn't pull bar all the way up for the 5th rep. Hence for last 2 sets I was only able to do 4 reps.
    I dont know what's wrong with me. For some reason I am not able to do overhead presses. What could this be an indication of? weak arms? weak shoulders? How do I work on this weakness?
    How do I move forward with this program now that I have learned that I am unable to do overhead press beyond 65 lbs?

For OHP, lower the weight back down to 55, if you gext 5x5, go to go 60, if you fail on 65 two tines in a row (2 workouts in a row, not 2 sets), then drop do 55 again and work back up, ots called deloading. Another optikn is get microbplates 1.25 lbs each and increasebthe weight by 2.5 lbs/workout instead if 5lbs

thank u i really appreciate that, so is this like a known technique? i will follow this in my next workout going forward
  • fitpal02020
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    OP, if you want biceps, I would recommend the following:

1. Continue on strong lifts
    2. Have patience
    3. Continue on strong lifts
    4. Have patience
    5. After a time longer than you think, when your dead lift approaches 300+ for reps (you are about the same size as me, but I'm 25 years older and 20 pounds heavier), so I know over time it will get there, add chin-ups to your routine. If you can't do them, start with either lat pull downs or a chin up "machine" that has an assistance component and work your assistance weight down. You'll get all the benefits of a curl, but you'll augment strength in your core, your back, and your shoulders.
    6. Have patience.

If you want your overhead press to improve, see above.

I think most folks who do programs like this - or similar will agree that the OHP is the slowest mover of the lifts. For me, it was always the one that stalled first and most often, that I would need to take a step back every once in a while and go ahead. It is a movement whose form is very important. Most people trip up when they do not engage their entire kinetic chain in the movement. You have to tighten everything for this lift to give the most benefit - and for your growth in it to be the most steady.

To give you an idea, my reps went up pretty steadily until I reached about 105 pounds. I failed the reps on that for 3 straight sessions. Then went back to 85 and worked back up. Passed 105 and stalled again at 120. Backed off to 100 or so, and worked back up. Lather, rinse, repeat. Now, about 1.5 years later, was repping close to 160 for 5 (before a recent car accident - which has sent back down to about 125). It is a process.

Remember that failing reps is a normal part of your progression at times. Follow what the program says about this.

This is going to take time. It takes consistent, regular work.

Have patience.

I cant have patience when i look at people like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0n3N59VnM
    who have a solid physique by doing more or less the same exercises I was doing in my original routine but now I only have to stick to 3 exercises for god knows how long and no guarantee when i will see big forearms and big biceps but other people can hit the gym do all sorts of exercises and get a fit physique!

Why do I have to stick to such a boring routine? life is not fair.

You don't. It just seems like you don't actually know what you want. Stronglifts will give you strenght. Bodybuilding will "sculpt" your body and give you some strength, but not as much as powerlifting types.

That's why I bodybuild - I was the aesthetic look, and don't care if I can't lift 150kg in a deadlift.

It also gives you more opportunity to do other exercises that are not just the 3 lifts.

Oh yeah - and PATIENCE, as others have mentioned above already...

So dude - have a good think about what you actually want - what are you goals? Is it just big biceps? Well get onto a bodybuilding-type hypertrophy program then, you don't need to OHP impressive numbers to grow your biceps.

PS - OHP is hard for everyone, so suck it up and chip away at it like everyone else does.

I want STRENGTH. thats my main goal and thats why I have stuck to doing stronglifts that everyone suggested here. It's a great program so far but at the same time i dont just want to neglect sculpting of my body, especially my forearms and biceps?
    How do I sculpt my forearms and biceps that they at least look normal and strong. I dont want to just get bigger and bigger. I dont to look like a coat hanger, no thanks. I just want a good sculpted physique while having strength.

How do I sculpt my forearms and biceps while being on the stronglifts program? there, that's my question.

Build a base of strength to work with first. Then worry about crap.

But I'll answer your question anyway since your so persistent it's getting rediculous.

Go buy a doorway pull-up bar, hang it in your bathroom, and every time you walk through the door do pull-ups to failure.

Also, go buy a couple of sandbags. Go onto your side walk. Pick one up in each hand. Walk with it til you have to put it down. Then do the same thing back. Repeat.

Thank you i was going to say the same thing. Maybe add after you've done pull ups to failure dead hang as long as you can.

I have read many well respected strength and conditioning people will say one shouldn't be messing with isolated bicep and grip work until the have mastered pullups.

Farmer walks are geeat also.

ok what do you mean " Maybe add after you've done pull ups to failure dead hang as long as you can." ? this sentence doesnt make sense to me.

u mean its better to incorporporate other isolated exercises for forearms and biceps?

No. Isolation exercises would be of questionable value. What i was suggesting would be do as many pullups as possible. When you can no longer do a repition just hold in the bottom position as long as you can to build grip/forearm strength.

sorry but isn't pullups still an isolation exercise?

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,428 Member
    edited October 2019

2. Have patience
    4. Have patience
    5. After a time longer than you think, when your dead lift approaches 300+ for reps (you are about the same size as me, but I'm 25 years older and 20 pounds heavier), so I know over time it will get there, add chin-ups to your routine. If you can't do them, start with either lat pull downs or a chin up "machine" that has an assistance component and work your assistance weight down. You'll get all the benefits of a curl, but you'll augment strength in your core, your back, and your shoulders.
    6. Have patience.

I think most folks who do programs like this - or similar will agree that the OHP is the slowest mover of the lifts. For me, it was always the one that stalled first and most often, that I would need to take a step back every once in a while and go ahead. It is a movement whose form is very important. Most people trip up when they do not engage their entire kinetic chain in the movement. You have to tighten everything for this lift to give the most benefit - and for your growth in it to be the most steady.

To give you an idea, my reps went up pretty steadily until I reached about 105 pounds. I failed the reps on that for 3 straight sessions. Then went back to 85 and worked back up. Passed 105 and stalled again at 120. Backed off to 100 or so, and worked back up. Lather, rinse, repeat. Now, about 1.5 years later, was repping close to 160 for 5 (before a recent car accident - which has sent back down to about 125). It is a process.

Remember that failing reps is a normal part of your progression at times. Follow what the program says about this.

Have patience.

I cant have patience when i look at people like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0n3N59VnM
    who have a solid physique by doing more or less the same exercises I was doing in my original routine but now I only have to stick to 3 exercises for god knows how long and no guarantee when i will see big forearms and big biceps but other people can hit the gym do all sorts of exercises and get a fit physique!

You don't. It just seems like you don't actually know what you want. Stronglifts will give you strenght. Bodybuilding will "sculpt" your body and give you some strength, but not as much as powerlifting types.

That's why I bodybuild - I was the aesthetic look, and don't care if I can't lift 150kg in a deadlift.

It also gives you more opportunity to do other exercises that are not just the 3 lifts.

So dude - have a good think about what you actually want - what are you goals? Is it just big biceps? Well get onto a bodybuilding-type hypertrophy program then, you don't need to OHP impressive numbers to grow your biceps.

PS - OHP is hard for everyone, so suck it up and chip away at it like everyone else does.

I want STRENGTH. thats my main goal and thats why I have stuck to doing stronglifts that everyone suggested here. It's a great program so far but at the same time i dont just want to neglect sculpting of my body, especially my forearms and biceps?
    How do I sculpt my forearms and biceps that they at least look normal and strong. I dont want to just get bigger and bigger. I dont to look like a coat hanger, no thanks. I just want a good sculpted physique while having strength.

How do I sculpt my forearms and biceps while being on the stronglifts program? there, that's my question.

But I'll answer your question anyway since your so persistent it's getting rediculous.

Go buy a doorway pull-up bar, hang it in your bathroom, and every time you walk through the door do pull-ups to failure.

Also, go buy a couple of sandbags. Go onto your side walk. Pick one up in each hand. Walk with it til you have to put it down. Then do the same thing back. Repeat.

Thank you i was going to say the same thing. Maybe add after you've done pull ups to failure dead hang as long as you can.

I have read many well respected strength and conditioning people will say one shouldn't be messing with isolated bicep and grip work until the have mastered pullups.

ok what do you mean " Maybe add after you've done pull ups to failure dead hang as long as you can." ? this sentence doesnt make sense to me.

u mean its better to incorporporate other isolated exercises for forearms and biceps?

No. Isolation exercises would be of questionable value. What i was suggesting would be do as many pullups as possible. When you can no longer do a repition just hold in the bottom position as long as you can to build grip/forearm strength.

No, the pull-up uses multiple muscle groups in the back shoulders and arms, i.e., the definition of a compound exercise. Google compound exercises and you will see the pull up listed. Couple examples below:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/477024-list-of-compound-exercises/
    https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/full-body-exercises/top-10-compound-lifts-maximum-size-and-strength
    https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/pull-up-vs-chin-up-a-comparison-and-analysis
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member

2. Have patience
    4. Have patience
    6. Have patience.

Have patience.

issolations are typically when only one joint moves. bicep curls and triceps pushdowns, only the elbow moves. pull-ups both your elbow and shoulder joints and associated muscles are used. squats, knee, ankle and hip compound; leg extension just knees hence isolation.
  • fitpal02020

2. Have patience
    4. Have patience
    6. Have patience.

Have patience.

No, the pull-up uses multiple muscle groups in the back shoulders and arms, i.e., the definition of a compound exercise. Google compound exercises and you will see the pull up listed. Couple examples below:

https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/full-body-exercises/top-10-compound-lifts-maximum-size-and-strength

thank u so u dont recommend doing any isolation exercise like bicep curls etc? when can i start doing isolation exercises?
  • fitpal02020

2. Have patience
    4. Have patience
    6. Have patience.

Have patience.

issolations are typically when only one joint moves. bicep curls and triceps pushdowns, only the elbow moves. pull-ups both your elbow and shoulder joints and associated muscles are used. squats, knee, ankle and hip compound; leg extension just knees hence isolation.

thanks
    so as I am adding more weights to my stronglifts workout, I am getting a bit worried as to how long I would be able keep this? It felt easy in the beginning but now it's getting difficult to do the workouts as I am adding more weights.
    Is it supposed to feel that way? I dont think I can do past 35 lbs on each side of the barbell.
    What should I do after that? please advise.
  • erickirb
    edited October 2019

2. Have patience
    4. Have patience
    6. Have patience.

Have patience.

thanks
    so as I am adding more weights to my stronglifts workout, I am getting a bit worried as to how long I would be able keep this? It felt easy in the beginning but now it's getting difficult to do the workouts as I am adding more weights.
    Is it supposed to feel that way? I dont think I can do past 35 lbs on each side of the barbell.

If you fail at a weight for two workouts in a row, drop the weight by 20 lbs and build back up again. it is called a deload, take a look at the program, it is all spelled on what to do if you fail.

so this time you may get to 115 lbs (35/side + bar), then deload and build back up and you may not fail next time until 130 lbs. rinse and repeat.

another option, while in a deficit, is try 3x5 (like starting strength does) easier to progress when you only have to complete 3 sets. when in a deficit, recovery is harder and makes the 5x5 hardera than if you were in a caloric surplus.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Perhaps Wendler 5/3/1 would be more suited to your preferences...
  • fitpal02020
    ceiswyn wrote: »

2. Have patience
    4. Have patience
    6. Have patience.

Have patience.

thanks

How many people, in multiple threads, have already told you that it's meant to feel difficult?

Unreasonable expectations, lack of patience, fear of the work being "hard" appear to be the driving forces here.

Either that or we've all been taking the bait....

@jonmarrow - just put in the work. Be prepared to work hard. Everything you need is out there. Get on the Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, Wendler, Barbell Medicine or whatever site you want. Buy one of their books if you like. Most of what's in the books can be gleaned from their website articles, blogs, forums, etc. Even reddit has forums on this stuff, complete with people posting videos of their form and asking for feedback. They have Facebook pages too.

If you fear this too much to engage, then don't do it. If not, then continue what you've started. If you are totally unsure, get coaching. If you can't afford coaching, video yourself and submit them to one of those places (not here). Watch Alan Thrall's form videos for each of the major lifts. Or Mark Rippetoe or Austin Baraki. After doing that, do it again. A few weeks later, do it again.

I've been at it now for about 30 months. You know what? I still go back and watch form videos. It's still hard work.

so this program works for everyone no matter what? i just have thing at the back of my mind that this may not work for me because genetics are not that good or that im just weak...
  • fitpal02020
    Perhaps Wendler 5/3/1 would be more suited to your preferences...

what is that?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,428 Member
    edited October 2019

2. Have patience
    4. Have patience
    6. Have patience.

Have patience.

thank u so u dont recommend doing any isolation exercise like bicep curls etc? when can i start doing isolation exercises?

If you want to gain muscle size and strength, you need to build the large muscles of your body which is done with compound exercises.

My son's have had several friends in athletic programs at major universities (where the experts are there to train the student athletes to be bigger, stronger and faster). I have talked to them and the strength coach never programmed bicep curl in their workouts. They were told if they wanted to do a few sets at the end of their training they could

You can do some curls if you really want to but IMO, and if you look at the work of the experts they should be a minor part of your program (if at all) and the one of the first things to eliminate if short on time.
  • erickirb
    ceiswyn wrote: »

2. Have patience
    4. Have patience
    6. Have patience.

Have patience.

thanks

How many people, in multiple threads, have already told you that it's meant to feel difficult?

Unreasonable expectations, lack of patience, fear of the work being "hard" appear to be the driving forces here.

Either that or we've all been taking the bait....

@jonmarrow - just put in the work. Be prepared to work hard. Everything you need is out there. Get on the Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, Wendler, Barbell Medicine or whatever site you want. Buy one of their books if you like. Most of what's in the books can be gleaned from their website articles, blogs, forums, etc. Even reddit has forums on this stuff, complete with people posting videos of their form and asking for feedback. They have Facebook pages too.

If you fear this too much to engage, then don't do it. If not, then continue what you've started. If you are totally unsure, get coaching. If you can't afford coaching, video yourself and submit them to one of those places (not here). Watch Alan Thrall's form videos for each of the major lifts. Or Mark Rippetoe or Austin Baraki. After doing that, do it again. A few weeks later, do it again.

I've been at it now for about 30 months. You know what? I still go back and watch form videos. It's still hard work.

so this program works for everyone no matter what? i just have thing at the back of my mind that this may not work for me because genetics are not that good or that im just weak...

If you do the work and fuel yourself properly it will work.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

LMGT4Y has really gone down hill over the years.
This discussion has been closed.