Who do you blame for your weight gain?

Options

Replies

• coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yours truly! It's a cop out to blame anyone else.
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    no fault or blame on anyone, as it is not a negative experience. I purposely put on the weight for myself to be healthy, so I thank ME! :bigsmile:

Good for you!! And thanks for the reminder, for some people getting healthy means moving the scale in the opposite direction as some others.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    I blame "The Clean Plate Club". Seriously, I know I'm the only one to blame; I made the poor choices. But growing up I was always told you should "clean your plate" so I usually ate everything on my plate no matter how miserably full I might already be. I wasn't going to get in trouble if I didn't eat everything on my plate but I guess I felt like I shouldn't waste anything. To this day, even after being on this journey for a year, I feel need to eat everything on my plate...so I've gotten smaller plates and cut portion sizes.

I would have gotten in trouble for not eating everything on my plate ~ food was NOT to be wasted nor was drink. I still feel guilty if I dont eat everything I put on my plate ~ so I dont put as much :) plus I cant stand to see food thrown away :/
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I blame the government and all of their nutritional "experts" for pushing the wrong macronutrient on us. I mean c'mon they are telling us to eat more whole grains than fruits and vegetables!! Something is wrong there.

I track carbs (get them from veggies, berries and some nuts). I track protein - sort of - and I eat unlimited fat. Had 54g of fat already today (was just curious about my typical breakfast this morning so I logged it - I usually don't).

We see calories. The body sees fuel, not calories.

I agree with this. Americans have been brainwashed into valuing and demonizing the wrong food for the sake of agricultural subsidies. I do also believe that the individual is also to blame, we can all be free thinkers regardless of what we are continuously told.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I blame "The Clean Plate Club". Seriously, I know I'm the only one to blame; I made the poor choices. But growing up I was always told you should "clean your plate" so I usually ate everything on my plate no matter how miserably full I might already be. I wasn't going to get in trouble if I didn't eat everything on my plate but I guess I felt like I shouldn't waste anything. To this day, even after being on this journey for a year, I feel need to eat everything on my plate...so I've gotten smaller plates and cut portion sizes.

I eat everything on my plate at every meal, two of which usually consists of 8 to 12 oz of meat, and I am still losing.
  • jnettiedotson
    Options
    I blame black people, for telling me a skinny ***** is no good! LOL, I'm kidding... But I've always had weight issues my entire life, even when I was skinny I thought I was fat, and here I am. How can anyone really blame anyone else? I think this question should be edited to "Who did you blame for your weight gain before you realized you have to take responsibility for your own choices?"
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    "When you're wrong admit it wholeheartedly and emphatically,"

Dale Carnegie.

Having said that, I blame it entirely on a crappy former boss who was a complete idiot and made my life miserable, followed by another one just like him. JK
  • tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Well Duh we can all take the high road and blame ourselves. I ate the food. GOt it

But im blaming my Mother-in-law. Kept me stressed out for the past 3 years with constant drama....and so I ate. A LOT.

I shouldnt have ate the food. but the woman almost drove me to insanity lol
  • eatnbetter
    eatnbetter Posts: 105
    Options
    LOL!! My fault but I kinda blame my husband too for cooking all those deliciously fattening meals!! Unfortunately, I am the only one in the house who gained weight! Oh and I'm the only one in the house who can gain weight by looking at it too, so I told him if he doesn't start eating healthy with me, He's got to go too...LOL!!!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    It's always going to be myself, I'm just glad I recognized it while I'm still fairly young and fix it before I develop any health issues.
  • jnettiedotson
    Options
    "When you're wrong admit it wholeheartedly and emphatically,"

Dale Carnegie.

Having said that, I blame it entirely on a crappy former boss who was a complete idiot and made my life miserable, followed by another one just like him. JK

Dale Carnegie, have you ever taken his courses?
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Mine and only mine. I gained alot of weight after meeting my now Dh due to us always going out. He loves to eat and he gained alot of weight too.

I have noticed a trend in my life. When I got into a new relationship, I'd gain. I was happy and comfortable and it'd just go up from there. I have learned to not attribute my happiness with food or vice versa- being depressed with food or lack of food.

Food is fuel. FOOD IS FUEL. I tell myself that everyday. No more rewarding myself with food.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    Hersheys fa sho
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I blame owhataday.
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    Although it's no one's fault but your own, and trust me when I say I firmly believe it's my fault, I also believe in some cases their is nature vs. nurture involved.

I was raised in a household where my father was extremely overweight and self-medicated from food. He died at a young age from diabetes. My mother has battled with anorexia her entire life, she has still yet to admit it. Even at 60, when she weighs about 95lbs, thinks that 2 tiny clementines is a proper lunch and probably burns off about 600 calories a day through exercise, she refuses to admit that she has a problem. Growing up I had two extremes in each ear. I was constantly hearing; "You're sad? Let's eat something!", "Are you really going to eat that?", or my personal favorite, "You would be so pretty if you lost weight." I blame myself for not getting a grip on my eating habits earlier because let's face it -- I put the food in my mouth, but after a lot of therapy I've come to the conclusion that given my circumstances I'm very pleased with myself for knowing that I was in an unhealthy situation and being wise enough to finally get help. Now I feel like I'm teaching my daughter the proper way to eat, and I remind her everyday that not only is she beautiful, but she is also smart, kind, and a wonderful little girl.

The other day my mother told my daughter (she is 2) that she shouldn't eat her cookie because it had carbs and they are making her fat. My daughter is at a perfectly healthy weight for her height, at least according to her doctor, and in that moment I felt bad for my mother. I think pitying her is almost worse than blaming her. My husband and I realized that eventually we are going to have to explain to my daughter that my mother is ill so she understands why she says these things to her.

Gaining weight is something that is so easy to kick yourself over, but having the courage to try to change it is something to commend yourself for. It is my fault for gaining the weight, but it is also my good choices that have helped me lose it. :)

Great question.
  • OKmac3
    OKmac3 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I blame the one who made me less active and forced my butt to sit in front of the TV instead of doing things I really enjoyed. I blame the one who cooked so good that I had to eat everything that was cooked for me. I blame the one who said to me "You can do it tomorrow when you have more time." YES I blame that person.....ME!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I blame the government and all of their nutritional "experts" for pushing the wrong macronutrient on us. I mean c'mon they are telling us to eat more whole grains than fruits and vegetables!! Something is wrong there.

I track carbs (get them from veggies, berries and some nuts). I track protein - sort of - and I eat unlimited fat. Had 54g of fat already today (was just curious about my typical breakfast this morning so I logged it - I usually don't).

We see calories. The body sees fuel, not calories.

I agree with this. Americans have been brainwashed into valuing and demonizing the wrong food for the sake of agricultural subsidies. I do also believe that the individual is also to blame, we can all be free thinkers regardless of what we are continuously told.

I've never limited my carbs. I wasn't even overweight (and was quite tiny) until a few years ago. No matter how many carbs I eat, if my calories are low enough, I lose weight, and usually around 2 pounds per week (though this go-round has been a little less, but I blame that on yo-yoing).

Yes, you'll lose weight eating fewer carbs, but that's because it usually results in fewer calories.
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    To a degree I blame $hitty genetics, but the being lazy and eating garbage is all on me.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Who's fault - that'd be ME!!!! I bought, and ate the cake, biscuits and drinkies :-) Now, the sweat and frustration is all mine too! Well done me ;-)
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Wait. We can BLAME SOMEONE ELSE? Why wasn't I told this a long time ago? I would have stopped beating myself up for over eating. Sheesh.