I'm confused at what's going on?

Options
Ok, we went on vacation a few weeks ago and I was 199.6 which is exactly 73 pounds down. I over indulged a bit on vacation but just a bit and was 202.8 when I got home. Over the next few days saw 201 and was on just way again I thought to getting to 190 which is the goal.
I've been bouncing around between 201 and 203 which is quite normal I guess. Saturday was out anniversary and we went out for dinner and I are health but did have dessert. Ok so the best day I was 203.8. I was like ok what are ya gonna do. Freaking today was red flag day for me, 204.8. I haven't been that high in months, June maybe. I have to say I'm freaking out. Am I bring crazy, too hard on myself? Should I be a bit concerned? I'm thinking of cutting 200 calories today and for the week to see if something gives.

Replies

• OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yes you are being too hard on yourself. It was one weigh in, restaurant meals have more salt giving water retention or a dozen other issues. Leave it for your next main weigh in
    Thanks, maybe I'll not weigh in every day and return Friday or next Monday.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're being overly critical (hard not to be, I get it), but judge over a period of 4-6 weeks not a few days. What you're doing is clearly working as you mentioned losing 73lbs so far.
  • OAS5
    Options
    If you are weighing in daily, use a trendweight app like Happy Scale or Libra, it'll show your trending weight, which can help with putting a one-off high weigh in into context.

Ya know I would like up use an app. like that but I couldn't find it in my app. store on my phone. I'll look again but didn't find it the first time. That's a good app. I hear.
  • OAS5
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're being overly critical (hard not to be, I get it), but judge over a period of 4-6 weeks not a few days. What you're doing is clearly working as you mentioned losing 73lbs so far.

Yeah, ya know when you see a number you didn't expect sometimes you have a little meltdown. I had one this morning. I did NOT like seeing that number at all.
  • StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you weigh in daily: collect 60-90 days worth of stats. If you're female also note your cycle points on that calendar. You will figure out natural trends for you. You may retain water when ovulating, or when your cycle starts. Your body may naturally drop a few pounds of water at a certain point in your cycle. A long list of daily weigh ins can help identify those trends for an individual.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    You can just google weightgrapher
  • OAS5
    Options
    I kinda like weighing in everyday. I feel better knowing that not knowing, it's just those bad ones really suck. I'm gonna see what happens and make a decision.
  • SFJULES66
    SFJULES66 Posts: 168 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I've started using the Happy Scale app and I like it because it shows weight trends with the ups and downs. Like NorvusDies' graph above, the losses are followed by ups and then a new lower weight and continue that way if calorie restriction is consistent. Vacations and anniversaries important and are what life's about, so give yourself a pass and be kind to yourself. You aren't alone and have support here!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    I found Libra, I'll set it up later.

Get at least a month or two of daily weights in there before you start making assumptions, would be my advice. (You can enter past data if you have it).

IIRC, it defaults to 7-day projection and smoothing (in advanced settings), so less than that is completely pointless . . . and you have some anomalous stuff in there (like the vacation) that will distort things a little . . . plus some of us have longer-cycle fluctuation patterns (regular or irregular).

It should be helpful, but it's still just applying statistical techniques, not producing magical insights out of thin air. ;)
  • OAS5
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I found Libra, I'll set it up later.

Get at least a month or two of daily weights in there before you start making assumptions, would be my advice. (You can enter past data if you have it).

IIRC, it defaults to 7-day projection and smoothing (in advanced settings), so less than that is completely pointless . . . and you have some anomalous stuff in there (like the vacation) that will distort things a little . . . plus some of us have longer-cycle fluctuation patterns (regular or irregular).

It should be helpful, but it's still just applying statistical techniques, not producing magical insights out of thin air. ;)

Thanks, I put today in and will enter in every day and see what it says on 3-4 weeks. I'm kinda curious to see the results.
  • OAS5
    Options
    And so just a few days later, this morning I was 201.6. very strange the human body and the scale. I can't wait to see 190 on that scale. I came to far not to see that goal.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Ok, we went on vacation a few weeks ago and I was 199.6 which is exactly 73 pounds down. I over indulged a bit on vacation but just a bit and was 202.8 when I got home. Over the next few days saw 201 and was on just way again I thought to getting to 190 which is the goal.
    I've been bouncing around between 201 and 203 which is quite normal I guess. Saturday was out anniversary and we went out for dinner and I are health but did have dessert. Ok so the best day I was 203.8. I was like ok what are ya gonna do. Freaking today was red flag day for me, 204.8. I haven't been that high in months, June maybe. I have to say I'm freaking out. Am I bring crazy, too hard on myself? Should I be a bit concerned? I'm thinking of cutting 200 calories today and for the week to see if something gives.

I see 5 pound spikes regularly when I don't use the scale to weigh my food.

I see 5 pound spikes when I have a 'happy meal' that doesn't get logged or weighed.

I look at my progress line graph over the long term and as long as it is a downward trend, I'm not going to stress over these 5# fluctuations.

Stay the course, you're doing great. Enjoy the ride.
  • OAS5
    Options
    amy19355 wrote: »

I see 5 pound spikes regularly when I don't use the scale to weigh my food.

I see 5 pound spikes when I have a 'happy meal' that doesn't get logged or weighed.

I look at my progress line graph over the long term and as long as it is a downward trend, I'm not going to stress over these 5# fluctuations.

Stay the course, you're doing great. Enjoy the ride.

Thanks, I'm using the Libra app, working great do far. I like it, I think it's gonna help with calming me down. Thanks for the words of encouragement, appreciate it.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Watching a trending graph is neat! And it definitely paints a bigger picture than just day to day data points...

2rpq99vqn58g.png
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    all good advice. body reacts to change, a holiday sometimes takes weeks to get back to normal, it isnt true weight gain, just retention of water for the most part. This happens for me when my routine, even exercise and activity level changes. It is not always predictable either, as getting lots of cardio will sometimes wreck my pattern of weight loss or maintenance.