Anyone else get bored of food?

Options
I eat pretty healthy during the week with the occasional calorific meal on the weekends. However i just cannot seem to have the motivation to change up my everyday meals. I come home from work and i am so tired and im bored of the usual food i eat; pork, chicken etc.what else can i do? Lol i go through these phases quite often. Does anyone know a website where i can find some healthy good macro recipes that arent too intricate to make for a Monday dinner ? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Personally, I look no further than Pinterest these days when I’m looking for inspiration for meals when I can’t think of anything I’ve ever eaten in my entire life (this happens ridiculously often!).

If you’re bored of your usual meals but don’t have time, energy or inclination to change things too much, why not just pick a world cuisine that you don’t normally cook and, using the herbs and spices from that cuisine make small changes, just to tweak the flavour profile a little. Might just be enough to excite your palate again.
  • alexandravictoria88
    alexandravictoria88 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thats actually a good idea. I think a lot of the times simple meals are the best as its not too complicated especially for people that work long and sometimes dont have the time to cook complicated meals with strange ingredients lol. I tend to get bored of the same simple meals, however it could also be my fear of eating too much or not eating what i shouldnt. Just need to try and add some oomph into my simple-ish meals
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'm anything but bored with my foods. I fill out the food diary a few days in advance. I look forward to each meal. I buy two food items each week that are new to me. I try different cooking methods, recipes and spices to keep things fresh.
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I look for ethnic foods to try to make, Indian, Middle Eastern, African, Korean. Anything with a different flavor profile.
  • alexandravictoria88
    alexandravictoria88 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I really do need to start meal prepping that way i have time to cook different meals and also look forward to them..that may help.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    How did you eat before you started dieting? Did you also eat the same meals? Did you also feel bored? More often than not, "bored" when you're dieting is a result of your meals not being mentally satisfying or the diet feeling like a grind which bleeds into how you feel about your food choices. You can try to spice things up for a while, but it gets a bit tiring after a while. If you don't address the real issue behind it, the feeling of boredom will return.

Why are you afraid of eating what you "shouldn't"? Could the "shouldn't" be the issue? How will you feel if you included these foods into your diet? Are you falling into a rut because you have a small number of go-to no brainers that you feel comfortable with? How about expanding your go-to arsenal and including some of your "shouldn't food" every now and then?

I personally just eat what I feel like eating. Most day for some meals this means the same small selection. I don't feel bored with it because that's what I feel like eating. If I feel like eating something else every now and then, I do that. I also go through bouts of experimental eating. Not feeling pressure to eat a certain way just makes it all feel natural, even if I make the same damn sandwich for breakfast every day for a month.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Yes I get bored of food sometimes.

Nothing to do with 'dieting' in my case - I feel this way from time to time before I lost weight, when I was losing weight, now I am mantaining .

Sometimes I just feel I make/ buy the same rotation of foods and it is a bit boring and repetitive and I get home from work and wish I didn't have to bother getting tea
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I see two issues - not wanting to spend a lot of time cooking, and being bored with your usual foods, so will address both.

For the boredom, another vote for ethnic foods. For more complicated ones, you can make big batches of these on your days off and freeze some. I have Thai soup and Thai basil chicken and rice in my freezer ready to go in case of severe "not feeling like cooking."

For not wanting to spend a lot of time, usually once a week we have breakfast foods for dinner. This is fast and requires little brain power on my part.

Also fast (and yummy!) are fresh raviolis. These can be pricey so I wait for sales. We're having that tonight with chicken. I haven't decided on the vegetable yet - could be spinach, broccoli, or a salad. (I would overeat these raviolis if I didn't add more protein and veg.)
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I wish I was bored of food, haha!
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I go through phases with my foods. For example, for months on end I will bring the same kind of sandwich and snack to work and LOVE it and then one day I just don't. So I will make something else for a while.

I do the same with dinner. Sometimes I meal prep the same 5 recipes week after week and am into it. And sometimes I want to switch it up.

This month for example, as a household, we decided that we were going to go mostly meat free (except what we already had available in our freezer, so we are purchasing no new meat items) this has forced me to be more creative with getting our evening meals together. We've been having a lot of beans and lentils. I've made a lentil chili, a lentil dahl, a sweet potato and lentil curry, a miso-ginger squash soup. It's been fun to try out new recipes and I've been looking forward to making a new one every few days.

I used pinterest to look at different kinds of foods or recipes including a specific ingredient and then only "pinned" things that had a cook time of 30 minutes. On sunday we chopped and prepped any veggies we would need this week and now when I get home I just have to chuck it into a pot. A lot of what we want to try are soups, stews, and curries because it's fall here so it's been working perfectly.

I have the added challenge of making everything gluten free, tree nut free, coconut free, and egg free. So far none o the recipes have taken me longer than 30 minutes, it just took a couple of days for me to search for what sounded good and make a list. Now we have basically enough recipes for the entire month and the only thing I'm going to have to go buy mid month is milk.
  • StephanieLWS
    StephanieLWS Posts: 22 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I cook for 8 people nightly. For 4 months I was counting calories; anything was game to eat, just within my quantity limitation. It worked great - I lost about 30lbs. Unfortunately, I've apparently been developing gallbladder issues and after a night in the ER I now must eat low fat (about 30g/day). This extra limitation makes it difficult and sometimes boring. Add that I'm also cooking foods I cannot eat, or very little of, and I can see how it will quickly become more boring. That, and I'm frequently making half or a whole meal for myself in addition to the other meal. I'm mostly eating vegetarian/vegan just from the circumstances of very little meat, eggs, nuts, and dairy. It's a challenge. And strangely, my weightloss has slowed down to just an additional 5 lbs lost the past six weeks.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Thats actually a good idea. I think a lot of the times simple meals are the best as its not too complicated especially for people that work long and sometimes dont have the time to cook complicated meals with strange ingredients lol. I tend to get bored of the same simple meals, however it could also be my fear of eating too much or not eating what i shouldnt. Just need to try and add some oomph into my simple-ish meals

A simple start on this is to look for good-quality pre-made condiments, sauces, or spice mixes, or a couple of simple-to-use but complex-flavored key ingredients adapted from some ethnic tradition. Some of these are pretty low calorie. This way, you'd just be buying one or two things in a small amount vs. a long list of ingredients. A fully home-made version might be a little tastier, but you'd get an idea what you might like from going this route, and it's very easy.

Off the top of my head, some bottled options would be harissa, sriracha, miso + toasted sesame oil (small amount/lots of flavor), yuzu hot sauce - big grocery stores or health food stores seem to have some of these now, if there aren't ethnic groceries or "gourmet cooking" shops nearby. There are also lots of one-bottle (or bulk) spice mixes you could try (from Penzey's if you can't find good ones locally, Trader Joe's has some good stuff if you have one close).
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    I get bored with food very easily....but to avoid fast food and eating out all the time, definitely needed to find ways to add variety without that.

Enter in the sauce/tapenade/toppings. I find Trader Joe's a great source for finding unique, fun, and kinda-reasonably-priced sauces and such. Utilizing those let's me easily add a wide variety of flavors and even ethnic foods to my daily routine, and oftentimes it's almost as easy as eating something plain.

I also keep a lot of spices in my cupboards, and make good use of them.

Only cooking for myself (which generally means I'm cooking the current meal plus enough for 1 or 2 leftovers to freeze) a lot of recipes are just too much or just require way to many ingredients to keep around the house (things go bad long before I can use them up), so the pre-packaged items are great as long as you don't mind flipping it over and reading the labels to see what's in it (I don't like a bunch of "crap" in there).
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I get bored with meat -- especially red meat.