Not getting enough calories

Options
Lanag12
Lanag12 Posts: 10 Member
edited October 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I just started using this again to see if I’m getting enough calories. I’m a little bit stressed since I’m eating way under my daily requirement. I’m losing weight But I don’t want to lose it that quickly it’s not healthy. I eat pretty filling foods I seem to get more than enough saturated fat and more carbs than I want. How do I get enough calories that also equals out in the nutrients without going over? Also I eat healthy not a lot of junk food And I’m vegetarian

Replies

• xSanoura
    xSanoura Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. :/ it’s like a form
    Of anxiety. I’m suppose to eat 1800-2100, but barely hitting 1200.
  • Lanag12
    Options
    I agree with you on the anxiety part 😩 I’m barely getting over 1,000
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian, you may feel like you have to eat *forever* and while not getting enough calories if you've not got enough fats in your diet. Fats have 9 calories/g which is more dense than the 4 calories/g you get with carbohydrates or protein.

With animal products, the fats and proteins kind of come together. When I cook for my sister, who is vegan, I have to introduce a lot of fat so that she doesn't have to spend her *entire day* chewing. >_< So I cook her food with a lot of olive and coconut oil and look into higher fat veggies like avocados and nuts.
  • Lanag12
    Options
    As a vegetarian, you may feel like you have to eat *forever* and while not getting enough calories if you've not got enough fats in your diet. Fats have 9 calories/g which is more dense than the 4 calories/g you get with carbohydrates or protein.

With animal products, the fats and proteins kind of come together. When I cook for my sister, who is vegan, I have to introduce a lot of fat so that she doesn't have to spend her *entire day* chewing. >_< So I cook her food with a lot of olive and coconut oil and look into higher fat veggies like avocados and nuts.

I Cook with olive oil for dinner will that help even out my calories?
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    There are also quite a few good, vegan protein powders on the market now, which may help you hit your protein target and your calorie target if you add one to your daily routine until your stress drops. I know that when I'm having health episodes where my appetite drops off, sometimes I have to set a daily alarm to *have a food* and sometimes if I'm really bad, I just chug down a shake at the alarm due to lack of inspiration to do anything else.

I hope things settle down for you soon, but take care of yourself in the mean time. <3
  • Lanag12
    Options
    There are also quite a few good, vegan protein powders on the market now, which may help you hit your protein target and your calorie target if you add one to your daily routine until your stress drops. I know that when I'm having health episodes where my appetite drops off, sometimes I have to set a daily alarm to *have a food* and sometimes if I'm really bad, I just chug down a shake at the alarm due to lack of inspiration to do anything else.

I hope things settle down for you soon, but take care of yourself in the mean time. <3

Thanks for reminding me of this I’m also working out and probably need more protein too!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Lanag12 wrote: »
    I just started using this again to see if I’m getting enough calories. I’m a little bit stressed since I’m eating way under my daily requirement. I’m losing weight But I don’t want to lose it that quickly it’s not healthy. I eat pretty filling foods I seem to get more than enough saturated fat and more carbs than I want. How do I get enough calories that also equals out in the nutrients without going over? Also I eat healthy not a lot of junk food And I’m vegetarian

Sounds like adding more protein, or more poly/mono fats, might be a good start.

You need to eat enough calories. As you say, losing weight too fast creates unnecessarily high health risk, and also risks a compensatory binge somewhere down the road (it's not about "will power", it's about hunger/appetite hormones).

I'm also vegetarian (ovo-lacto), for 45+ years now. If you aren't getting enough calories, and are short on protein primarily, focus on calorie-efficient protein sources first. Consider things like tofu, tempeh, beans/legumes of all types, seitan, soy or chickpea pasta, possibly things like quinoa that have some carbs plus protein in place of some less protein-y carbs. If you're short on healthy fats, add some tree nuts or peanuts/peanut butter. Yes, cooking with olive oil (or putting it on salads) could be a help. But if you're short on protein, I'd try to work on that rather than simply adding pure oils, if possible. If you eat dairy or eggs, those may be good sources, too.

You don't have to hit calories or any individual macronutrient goal exactly every day, especially if you're over some days, and under others, in a way that average out to "close to goals" over a few days or so. Close is fine; exact is completely optional.

Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • Lanag12
    Options
    Thank you I eat a lot of what you mentioned and we cook with a lot of olive oil and proteins that you mentioned in my house so I’m definitely not short on healthy fats lol. like I said Its not so much the fat and protein I’m worried about since I get plenty it’s just not getting enough calories
  • Lanag12
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You need to eat enough calories. As you say, losing weight too fast creates unnecessarily high health risk, and also risks a compensatory binge somewhere down the road (it's not about "will power", it's about hunger/appetite hormones).

I'm also vegetarian (ovo-lacto), for 45+ years now. If you aren't getting enough calories, and are short on protein primarily, focus on calorie-efficient protein sources first. Consider things like tofu, tempeh, beans/legumes of all types, seitan, soy or chickpea pasta, possibly things like quinoa that have some carbs plus protein in place of some less protein-y carbs. If you're short on healthy fats, add some tree nuts or peanuts/peanut butter. Yes, cooking with olive oil (or putting it on salads) could be a help. But if you're short on protein, I'd try to work on that rather than simply adding pure oils, if possible. If you eat dairy or eggs, those may be good sources, too.

You don't have to hit calories or any individual macronutrient goal exactly every day, especially if you're over some days, and under others, in a way that average out to "close to goals" over a few days or so. Close is fine; exact is completely optional.

Thank you I eat a lot of what you mentioned and we cook with a lot of olive oil and proteins that you mentioned in my house so I’m definitely not short on healthy fats lol. like I said Its not so much the fat and protein I’m worried about since I get plenty it’s just not getting enough calories

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Assuming reasonable nutrition is among your goals, then if you're getting enough fat (like 0.3-0.45g per pound of goal weight), and enough protein (like maybe 0.6-0.8g per pound (yes, I do mean pound, not kg) of goal weight), and 5+ servings of fruit and veg . . . then it's fine to get added calories from pretty much anything you'd like that isn't poisonous, and that you're not allergic to.

Fats are more calorie dense, so might be easier to add if you're already full (unless you find fats especially satiating). And once all the nutritional boxes are checked, there's no reason not to eat more calorie-dense but less nutrition-dense treat foods.
  • windra06
    windra06 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    As others have said are you weighing everything and measuring oil? 1tbsp oil for example is approx 135 cal, which for me is over 10% of my goal.
    Just remember the numbers are a guide only, if your losing weight try upping the calories a little bit and see if you still lose weight or maintain in the next couple of weeks.
    I eat vegan at home and in order to keep in my goal I've had to cut out alot of calorie dense but healthy foods like nuts,seeds, tahini,brown rice, lentil pastas, sweet potatoes, avacado, coconut milk,pittas and other wholewheat breads and instead lots of veggies and beans/pulses and tofu.
    If you want some suggestions tell us what kind of food you eat and I'm sure we can suggest some tweaks.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    The best way to determine whether you are eating enough is to monitor how much weight you lose on average over a 4-6 week period. It is not uncommon for those who think they are not eating enough to be inaccurate with logging, causing them to eat more than they think they are. As a general rule, if you are losing more than 1% of your body weight on average each week, you are not eating enough.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Avocados 🥑 are giant calorie bombs- how about incorporating some of those? Ditto adding some almonds or nuts...

I luv em’! Lots of cals in those buggers though... 🤔
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

How fast are you losing and for how long? How far are you from goal? Are you logging everything (including the olive oil)?

1000 is a pretty tiny amount of food -- are you stressing about trying to keep carbs low or avoiding certain foods?

How low are you on fat and protein normally?