9yr-post Rouex-en-Y. Now new on Keto

Options
Hello,

I'm 42yrs old. I had a Rouex-en-Y about 9 years ago and gained 80% of my weight back :( I recently lost 20lbs on a juicing and calorie counting diet, but I gained 18lbs back over the summer with all the eating out :s So now I'm giving Clean Keto with Intermittent Fasting a chance.

I started clean keto on Mabon/Fall Equinox. I've lost 4lbs since Monday. I'm having a hard time reaching my daily fat intake goal, which is 139g (75% of my diet). I'm either over or short a 1g on carbs, goal of 21g (5%). I do go over my protein goal, which is 84g (20%). My Ketone strips does indicate that I'm burning fat, so I guess I'm safe ;) . Oh, and do intermittent fasting every other day.
SW:223.6 | CW: 219.6 | GW: 155

If you're on a Keto diet, you're welcome to add me as a friend.

Good luck on your journey,
Nadia <3
btw, i miss my fruits

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Nadia,

Welcome to the community and good luck in your new endeavors; I hope you find something that works for you.

So, I'm going to make an observation, not out of criticism, but because I think it may help you in the long run and food for thought if you find your current plan doesn't work out. Based solely on your post, you seem to gravitate towards attempting to find solutions that are predicated on weight loss/management being confined to a temporary period (going into 'weight loss mode', if you will), which to this point haven't resulted in successful sustained weight loss/management because your default behavior and relationship with food lends itself to overeating and fat gain/re-gain. You're only days in on keto and already admit to missing fruit and it sounds like your macro targets aren't necessarily the best fits for your lifestyle. It's become cliche to talk about embarking on a "weight loss journey" and focusing on "lifestyle changes" in this forum, but if you ask the many long-time loss maintainers that still hang around, that's usually a commonality; an iterative process that focuses on habit building and sustainability over losing weight and hitting a goal as quickly as possible. Weight loss is only predicated on being in a caloric deficit, how you get there is interchangeable.

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Is a ketogenic diet a good fit for someone with Rouex-en-Y? That particular surgery reduces vitamin and mineral absorption because it involves cutting out segments of intestines, right? If it is is hard to get those in with a normal diet and requires supplementing, I think the kinds of restrictions on keto would make things even worse - on 20g's of carbs a day (and I sure hope that is at least net, so you aren't holding back fiber), I can't see getting a proper dent in a lot of nutrients for someone with normal absorption.

As the above already said, this might not be the best plan for you. There are many ways to get there and some are healther and some are more sustainable, but the only thing that controls weight loss is calorie deficit via eating less than you burn.
  • NadiaLizette
    NadiaLizette Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for commenting ;) I'm not taking it as criticism at all. Based on my last post, I could understand why you would think I'm looking for a quick fix, which is not. I'm 42, I'm not getting any younger, so my focus is on lifestyle change.

It was actually my doctor who recommended Keto with intermittent fasting, and after doing my intensive research on keto, physiology, I agree. BTW, I have a history of seizures, and a family history of alzheimers diseases, and diabetes, which is another reason keto was recommended by my doctor. Now if I could do it again, would I have a Rouex-en-Y, my answer would be no. If I knew then what I know now... anyways that's another discussion for another topic.

Although I LOVE my veggies, and fruits, juicing everyday was not a good fit for my lifestyle. I have two jobs, one full-time (Mon-Fri), one weekend job, and I'm also a part-time student pursuing a degree in nursing. So as you can see, based on my schedule, I STRUGGLED to find the time to juice, that's even with prepping my veggies ahead of time, and being a stress eater did not help (thank you exams :'( )

I'm only 5 days in on clean keto. I'm very selective as to what I eat, I've always been, but I do find keto easier than juicing and calorie counting on my current lifestyle. I could see myself breaking keto by eating a fruit here and there, I see nothing wrong with that. I was NEVER a fan of sodas, pastries or red meat. I LOVE my water and green tea. What I've given up are bread, tortillas, most cheese, and flaming hot cheetos. I was sleepy 3rd and 4th day. Today I woke up feeling better. I haven't felt the need to snack between meals, which is the main reason of my weight gain these pass 9 years. I find it easier to prep my food, so it's ready for me for when I'm ready to eat, and that means no more fast food. I do yoga twice a week. I have to find time for strength training, and I could walk a bit more.

I have a fallow-up appointment with my doctor next month. I'm taking this serious. My courses scared the living *kitten* out of me :D So believe me when I say that my mind set is in it. Oh and my lab work results have been normal for the pass 4 years ;)

Nadia <3
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hi Nadia! I am 24 years out from a Roux-en-Y and have been doing low carb/keto for about 5 years. It's a lifestyle that's a great match for those of us s/p surgery. My doc recommends low carb for me as I have MS and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Feel free to friend me.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Thanks for commenting ;) I'm not taking it as criticism at all. Based on my last post, I could understand why you would think I'm looking for a quick fix, which is not. I'm 42, I'm not getting any younger, so my focus is on lifestyle change.

It was actually my doctor who recommended Keto with intermittent fasting, and after doing my intensive research on keto, physiology, I agree. BTW, I have a history of seizures, and a family history of alzheimers diseases, and diabetes, which is another reason keto was recommended by my doctor. Now if I could do it again, would I have a Rouex-en-Y, my answer would be no. If I knew then what I know now... anyways that's another discussion for another topic.

Although I LOVE my veggies, and fruits, juicing everyday was not a good fit for my lifestyle. I have two jobs, one full-time (Mon-Fri), one weekend job, and I'm also a part-time student pursuing a degree in nursing. So as you can see, based on my schedule, I STRUGGLED to find the time to juice, that's even with prepping my veggies ahead of time, and being a stress eater did not help (thank you exams :'( )

I'm only 5 days in on clean keto. I'm very selective as to what I eat, I've always been, but I do find keto easier than juicing and calorie counting on my current lifestyle. I could see myself breaking keto by eating a fruit here and there, I see nothing wrong with that. I was NEVER a fan of sodas, pastries or red meat. I LOVE my water and green tea. What I've given up are bread, tortillas, most cheese, and flaming hot cheetos. I was sleepy 3rd and 4th day. Today I woke up feeling better. I haven't felt the need to snack between meals, which is the main reason of my weight gain these pass 9 years. I find it easier to prep my food, so it's ready for me for when I'm ready to eat, and that means no more fast food. I do yoga twice a week. I have to find time for strength training, and I could walk a bit more.

I have a fallow-up appointment with my doctor next month. I'm taking this serious. My courses scared the living *kitten* out of me :D So believe me when I say that my mind set is in it. Oh and my lab work results have been normal for the pass 4 years ;)

Nadia <3

Hi @NadiaLizette - you got this! I also do clean keto and IF. I do have quite a bit of vegetables and some fruit daily. I count every calorie, carb and sugar... I do it for overall health. My skin.. my weight... I just have a lot more energy eating this way as well.
    🤗