Cannot sleep at all someone please help

2»

Replies

• kellyrosiemfp
    kellyrosiemfp Posts: 14 Member
    I have had a difficult time sleeping for many years now. I'm kind of just used to it. Someone on MFP recommended magnesium supplements for help with sleep. I bought a bottle. What I neglected to investigate however, was that magnesium supplements can cause bad diarrhea. It took me two weeks to discover what was causing it. I should've realized - another lesson I've learned the hard way. Or soft way I should say...LOL

What was your reason for not sleeping?
    NorcoRyder wrote: »
    Have you tested your blood glucose levels during these episodes? I’m wondering if nocturnal hypoglycaemia could be at work.

Edit: A carb snack at bedtime can help in this case.

OMG I wondered if it was something like this? It actually makes loads of sense I get night sweats a lot when I diet, is there a particular snack that would help

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I have had a difficult time sleeping for many years now. I'm kind of just used to it. Someone on MFP recommended magnesium supplements for help with sleep. I bought a bottle. What I neglected to investigate however, was that magnesium supplements can cause bad diarrhea. It took me two weeks to discover what was causing it. I should've realized - another lesson I've learned the hard way. Or soft way I should say...LOL

What was your reason for not sleeping?
    NorcoRyder wrote: »
    Have you tested your blood glucose levels during these episodes? I’m wondering if nocturnal hypoglycaemia could be at work.

Edit: A carb snack at bedtime can help in this case.

OMG I wondered if it was something like this? It actually makes loads of sense I get night sweats a lot when I diet, is there a particular snack that would help

Protein to prevent low BG. Carbs to raise it.

I would not assume that Dr. Google has the answer though especially when you are eating too little. Have you had your BG and a1c tested recently?
  • kellyrosiemfp
    My HBA1c was this
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 349 Member
    I have problems sleeping if my carbs are too low (usually associated with lower than target calories), if I exercise too close to bedtime, or I am hungry! Lots of good advise on upping your intake (that's what helped me). I often have an evening snack before bed of Siggi's fat free yogurt (adds protein/fat) plus dairy sometimes helps with sleep. Building that into the calories for the day has helped.
  • kellyrosiemfp
    I upped it to 1500 and made no difference and incorporated magnesium citrate but again still didn’t sleep, will try 1700 just worried that I won’t lose, I seem to go off the rails at the weekend which is why I prefer to restrict more in the week :-(
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    So I don't have the science behind this but I had a health professional suggest having a protein shake just before bed. It breaks down slowly and they suggested that I would wake up feeling clear headed etc.. which I did. But again - no explanation to offer on why other than protein doesn't spike your sugar and helps with the sort of rebuilding that your body dies at night.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    jelleigh wrote: »
    So I don't have the science behind this but I had a health professional suggest having a protein shake just before bed. It breaks down slowly and they suggested that I would wake up feeling clear headed etc.. which I did. But again - no explanation to offer on why other than protein doesn't spike your sugar and helps with the sort of rebuilding that your body dies at night.

That would just have me up in the middle of the night wanting to pee lol
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited October 2019
    I agree with everything @tinkerbellang83 says except that she used a TDEE calculator and that isn't the method Myfitnesspal uses, so if you use MFP, use the "Lose 1 pound per week" setting, use "Active" for the Activity Level, and add exercise into the Exercise tab and eat (at miminum) 50-75% of your calories required to fuel that additional exercise.

If you go by tinkerbell's idea, just eat 1700 every day and don't add back exercise calories. Myfitnesspal uses a slightly different calculation.

From Help at the top of every page: How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?

I would be unable to sleep on the amount of food and activity you are trying to do, too.

Please eat.

Sleep is the least of your problems, your body is very stressed.

That BMR x 1.6 is actually MFP's calculation not TDEE so OP should still be counting any intentional exercise above the 6 miles of walking i.e. running/strength training/sports/etc.

If she is consuming 1200 a day... Wouldn't that mean there is zero activity in her mfp equation... I thought the only way to get 1200 daily limit is to put max loss weekly and sedentary activity level, meaning she is not eating for her activity level (6 miles daily), much less, eating appropriate calories for her height and goal.

Not trying to disagree, just adding.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    I agree with everything @tinkerbellang83 says except that she used a TDEE calculator and that isn't the method Myfitnesspal uses, so if you use MFP, use the "Lose 1 pound per week" setting, use "Active" for the Activity Level, and add exercise into the Exercise tab and eat (at miminum) 50-75% of your calories required to fuel that additional exercise.

If you go by tinkerbell's idea, just eat 1700 every day and don't add back exercise calories. Myfitnesspal uses a slightly different calculation.

From Help at the top of every page: How does MyFitnessPal calculate my initial goals?

I would be unable to sleep on the amount of food and activity you are trying to do, too.

Please eat.

Sleep is the least of your problems, your body is very stressed.

That BMR x 1.6 is actually MFP's calculation not TDEE so OP should still be counting any intentional exercise above the 6 miles of walking i.e. running/strength training/sports/etc.

If she is consuming 1200 a day... Wouldn't that mean there is zero activity in her mfp equation... I thought the only way to get 1200 daily limit is to put max loss weekly and sedentary activity level, meaning she is not eating for her activity level (6 miles daily), much less, eating appropriate calories for her height and goal.

Not trying to disagree, just adding.

That really depends. At one point I could put active with a 1/2 pound a week loss and still come up at 1200 BUT at the time I was close to 100 pounds while only being 4'11. Even now MFP gives me maintenance calories of 1200 at sedentary although, in reality, I am around 1500 calories without exercise instead.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    A shot of whisky or two makes me sleep like a baby - wife says, I also snore...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    I had very scary nightmares on Melatonin. I also had no good come from "a shot of whisky or two."

OP,
    I upped it to 1500 and made no difference and incorporated magnesium citrate but again still didn’t sleep, will try 1700 just worried that I won’t lose, I seem to go off the rails at the weekend which is why I prefer to restrict more in the week :-(

When you posted the above, it was Day One on 1500. How are you doing now? If the scale shows a tiny uptick, just stay the course, you NEED to get up to 1700 as soon as possible. You will start losing on 1700, honest.