Co-Worker's Comments

Options
2»

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take it too personally, she may have just been pushing her own problems, struggles, and issues onto you. Maybe she was trying to make herself feel better about her own failures by reassuring you that it's okay to struggle.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Everyone around me has told me I dont need to lose weight. I'm 5' 6" and weigh 181 lbs. uuummmm where exactly do they get that I dont need to drop some weight?!?!? My stomach sticks out farther than my boobs!! Most of my weight is in my stomach/back/arms (my legs are smokin hot sexy ~ I have 1 lil tiny area that needs to go away on them but thats it) so to me I can damn sure see it!! I know its a version of being supportive but at the same time I dont like to be lied to or pacified ~ I'd much rather them say that I'm not that big but maybe losing a few lbs wouldnt hurt or something on that order. I mean come on, I know what the scale says, I know what size pants I wear and I damn sure know what I see when I look in the mirror!

a lot of people who think they are 'normal' are actually about 20 pounds over weight and think that walking to the bus stop every day is enough exercise....
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Its taken me a long time to learn you cant listen to what other people say when it comes to what you are doing for your health. So many have their own insecurities with regard to that subject that often times their comments come out in a negative way. I have had people tell so many different things that were hurtful that I realized for my own sanity to keep what I was doing to myself. That is why I love MFP because I can share my accomplishments with others who do care. Many of my friends are jealous or negative because it reminds them they are doing nothing for themselves. My advice is its a long journey....put figurative EAR MUFFS on! lol
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yep, my aunt recently told me she heard I was getting skinny again. I knew instantly it was a negative comment because they (my aunt's) prefer to see me heavier, they love it when men eat. I told her for most of my life family complained because they thought I was too skinny so when I let my eating habits get out of control and ended up with high cholesterol, blood pressure, and was labeled a borderline diabetic no one was sitting in the doctors office being threatened by the doctor except me! I decided I had to do what was best for me and not to be concerned with the thoughts and opinions of family and friends. I am no longer carrying the weight, being threatened by the doctor, and I feel 100% better! So, to sum it all up...don't take to heart the negative things people say to you, especially when it comes to your health, you have to do what you feel is best.

Congrats on your loss and I wish you much success in reaching your goal;)
    Ant'
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    That comment is probably coming from her own self-doubt or insecurity, so don't let it get to you. You're on the right path!
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have a somewhat similar experience, my fiancees co-worker. The guy needs to loose 175 pounds, and constantly eats out, even has us eating out with him, Last night he even made my ghoing for a walk while waiting for a table a joke. It's not worth it.She may have misunderstood what you said, I'd take it with a grain of salt, if it keeps up, then maybe say something.
  • AMA983
    AMA983 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You guys, I am moved to tears right now. I can't believe all of the support and words of encouragement. Thank you SO much. It really means the world to me. I have struggled for years with weight and since I am on the taller side, people are always telling me I don't need to lose weight. It's quite frustrating because for awhile, I was actually overweight for my height. To all of you that said to use her comments as a challenge - you are completely right. I'm not going to let this negatively affect me. Onward I go!! I love you all!
  • bookworm03
    bookworm03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have lost 7 pounds so far and one of my female co-workers noticed today. She asked if I was trying to lose weight or if it was a "happy accident". I told her that I am working towards losing weight and getting fit and toned. Her reply? "Don't be discouraged if you can't lose it all." This really hurt me and it was irritating as well because I consider her a friend. I don't think it's coming from jealousy, but it discouraged me a bit. So far, my loss has been slow but steady and I realize it's going to take a while. However, her comment has made my fears about not being able to do this re-surface. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Sometimes, people don't fully consider how something sounds before it leaves their mouth. I've done this. I'm sure you've done this. And your coworker just did this as well. I would try not to take it to heart -- it sounded mean. It WAS a little mean. But I'm sure she meant it kindly, and not in the snotty way it came out. It was just one of those thoughts that pours out before we have the chance to censor ourselves.

Keep it up! You're doing awesome, and a little coworker-word-vomit isn't going to derail you!

^this^