Chicken thighs

MDC2957
MDC2957 Posts: 417 Member
I like the taste of chicken thighs so much better than chicken breasts. when you buy boneless skinless chicken thighs, they still have a lot of visible fat on them. If I trim that visible fat, what percentage of fat do you think remains? I see all kinds of entries in mfp, some as high as 50% which seems ridiculous.

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    I don't know, but I cannot stand chicken breasts. So, I eat chicken thighs--skinless and trimmed--and just allow for the extra calories. If I want a protein leaner than chicken thighs, I would rather have a piece of fish, or tofu, than a chicken breast. Life's too short to eat chicken breast.

The only type of chicken breast I enjoy is the chicken tender cutlets... otherwise, blah. Chicken thigh I loosely track... usually just use a random "dark meat chicken" entry
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I always just used the USDA entry for chicken thighs...I trimmed the fat as well, but trying to figure out the difference would have caused me to drown in insignificant minutia.

Do you mean this?
    https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/index.html

yes
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Yeah! Thighs are costing as much as chicken breasts do!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Really?? Around here they are about 1/2 the price.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,970 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

Really?? Around here they are about 1/2 the price.

I agree. They are a lot cheaper here.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Cheaper here too.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Almost never buy boneless skinless thighs. Buy with bone and skin, remove the skin before cooking and use this data to log:
    wmsujg0mtt35.jpg
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Really dislike the bone in version

but it takes two ticks to de-bone them, and they are significantly cheaper here with bone and skin. I make the skin into "crackling" sometimes too - yum
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Skinless and boneless (thigh) $4.49 lb
    Skinless and boneless (breast) $4.99 lb

San Francisco Bay Area pricing.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    **wanders back out, eyes rolling***

I thought this was gonna be a sexy post with an elusive title
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Really dislike the bone in version

but it takes two ticks to de-bone them, and they are significantly cheaper here with bone and skin. I make the skin into "crackling" sometimes too - yum

I agree, de-boning is very easy and they are 1/2 the price per pound of the boneless skinless. The skin and bone also make excellent additions to the stock pot.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I think the flavor is better with bone-in and skin-on, so if the chicken is cooked by itself, ex: baked, I prefer bone-in and skin-on.

But when I am making a dish like chicken cacciatore with lots of other ingredients, I don't want to fuss with boning and skinning right before dinner, so have switched to boneless/skinless for this.

Yes, boneless/skinless is more expensive, but also has less waste, so I think that's fair.

(I do save bones in the freezer for stock but get plenty as is without switching to 100% bone-in.)
  • pioneerrose
    pioneerrose Posts: 28 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

(I do save bones in the freezer for stock but get plenty as is without switching to 100% bone-in.)

Do you save all the bones or only ones from certain recipes? (Ie bbq, breaded ranch, marinated teriyaki).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    edited October 2019
    hope516 wrote: »
    **wanders back out, eyes rolling***

I thought this was gonna be a sexy post with an elusive title

You're in the wrong section... Chit-Chat is <<<<<<< that way. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    In the UK I struggle to find boneless skinless so hard to learn to de-bone myself with YouTube tutorials. I save bones in a ziplock bag in the freezer where I also dump better quality vegetable trimmings such as hard stems from asparagus and artichokes. When the bag is full I make stock.

I too make crackling with the skin in the air fryer between two sheets of silicon mesh. I use the crackling in the same way I would use bacon crumbles.