Can anyone give me hope - Given up nicotine and gained 10 lbs.

Options
2»

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Who the heck disagreed with my post?!

Seriously.

There are several of us here that got disagreed with. Obviously there are at least a couple of people here that are vaping. They don’t listen to the news, let alone believe an ER PA that has seen firsthand what vaping can do to people.

Don’t be surprised that some don’t want to know the truth. We can only hope that they don’t become one of the statistics, most of whom thought it was harmless too.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Who the heck disagreed with my post?!

Seriously.

There are several of us here that got disagreed with. Obviously there are at least a couple of people here that are vaping. They don’t listen to the news, let alone believe an ER PA that has seen firsthand what vaping can do to people.

Don’t be surprised that some don’t want to know the truth. We can only hope that they don’t become one of the statistics, most of whom thought it was harmless too.

Deep down, everyone knows the truth about vaping. Some are lying to themselves because they want to vape, or more accurately, can't stop vaping. The similarities to how I use to lie to myself about smoking are striking. "I can stop anytime - so why should I have to stop right NOW?" "Things are stressful; once they settle down, I'll stop." "Every time I stop I gain weight, which is ultimately even worse for my health." "Finals week / new job / other life stressor is not the right time to do it" Yada yada yada. Excuses excuses excuses. Layers of excuses.

In truth, nicotine is a deeply addictive drug and it takes a great act of personal will, courage even, to banish it. It took me decades to finally be done with it, so I'm sympathetic with all who struggle. But in the end, nicotine is a dangerous poison and all of us who succumbed in the first place have to find it within ourselves to banish it.

Vaping is a dangerous, unhealthy, addictive thing to do. Stopping the vaping should be Priority # 1 in anyone's life. Maybe smoking cigarettes is one increment worse, but they are both slow-motion suicide.
  • MeredithMinch
    MeredithMinch Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was a pack a day smoker for 20 years and tried to quit so often. I read Allen Carrs 'The Easyway to Quit Smoking' and that was it, I was done. No withdrawal, nothing...just Yipee I'm a non-smoker.

I highly recommend!
  • qwebster01
    qwebster01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    chew a lot of gum and drink a lot of water
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I’m sorry you are struggling with this. Good for you for reaching out. I have no specific advice but I know you will consider all the tips and get it figured out. Take care. 😘
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those of you who have shared your experiences. I don't feel so alone. I had to quit vaping because my blood pressure was through the roof. So no patch for me. It's become harder lately because my husband started vaping again and I'm fighting it. The weight gain seems to have stopped but now getting it back off is frustrating as I can't seem to make it budge and I'm still hungry.

There are some good suggestions here and thank you especially to @nooshi713 for your input. It does feel like my metabolism is slower. I have been walking a few miles a day but I need an at home solution I think. I've started crocheting a blanket for my neice's new arrival in February, lol. Maybe that will help. Gonna look in to the Peppermints and see if that is an option here in Canada.

I can't even imagine how difficult it is for you when your husband is vaping, I hope he doesn't do it around you. I quit smoking after 20 years as I needed spinal surgery and bone's less likely to grow with nicotine in the system. It definitely was one of the hardest things I've done but so worth it!

Crocheting sounds like a great idea! One thing I did when I first quit was "smoke" through a straw. I also had joined a quitting smoking forum online whose quote was "not one puff ever," I chanted that like crazy! Another strong mint is Altoids. I buy cinnamon and have them when I'm hungry and trying to wait to eat. They do have calories but not too high, just enough to not eat them like candy.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Omg! Quitting is absolutely worth it. There is total hope!!

Have you tried exercise? Walking? Yoga? Bike riding? Weight lifting? Gym classes? Swimming?

Have you tried meditation? Guided meditations? Deep breathing( You might be missing that deep inhaling). Spending time in nature?

I quit 8 years ago. I have lost 95 pounds.
    Keep moving forward!! Again, it is so worth it and don't ever lose hope!
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 2 months ago. I gained about 20lbs, but I'm just getting back to clean eating, exercising and logging my calories. Giving up nicotine should not be giving up on yourself. The assumption with quiting smoking/vaping is to get healthier. The weight gain sucks, but on a quest to better myself, my job isnt over. Getting my health in order just began.
  • bb_twins
    bb_twins Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What I tell my patients is this - you are better off with a little extra weight (which can be lost in due time) than smoking/vaping!!!
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I was a pack a day smoker for 20 years and tried to quit so often. I read Allen Carrs 'The Easyway to Quit Smoking' and that was it, I was done. No withdrawal, nothing...just Yipee I'm a non-smoker.

I highly recommend!

Yep, this is a very worthwhile book.