Activity Challenge for Sedentary/Beginners That Wants To Get Moving

Replies

• donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    OMG @Annie_01, you may be the answer to my prayers. I am SO relating to your posts. Just found this challenge this evening. I'm actually your neighbor to the south in San Marcos. Isn't the break in heat awesome? Anyway, I'm 63, a formerly very fit girl, but have gradually become so sedentary, doing great work writing and creating, but not MOVING. I've been trying to inspire myself. Last week I ordered and received a pedometer but have kept it in a drawer because I thought, "Seeing a recording of 25 steps would be so disheartening!" I went to an event on Sept. 20 and actually danced and had a ball, but my lower back hurt so much at the end of the evening that now when I move it tightens up. But I think I just need to work through it. You have given me the inspiration to start tomorrow. Last year (March 2018) I took an amazing trip to Florence and Rome and walked a ton but I really wasn't ready for it, so your plan to get yourself really ready is so wise. I pushed through it and loved it, but it would have been much better not pushing through it. Thanks for starting this thread. I'm gonna clip that pedometer on in the a.m. and go walk. I might not make it more than 10 minutes, but that's ok. Better than nothing. It's great being able to write and edit lovely paragraphs, but unfortunately that doesn't add much to one's lifespan. I can't wait to start seeing numbers of steps like you're recording.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Glad you found us @donimfp

If 10 min is all that you can do...then do 10 min...5 min out and 5 min back. I started at 10 min and now I am up to 20 min. Friday I will start my 30 minute walks. Even if you just set a step goal instead of minutes and time...that would work. Some days after getting back from my walk I sat down...moved very little after that. What I did was set a kitchen timer to go off every hour and I would get up and move. There are 50 steps from my office to the front door so I just walked back and forth until I got a few more hundred steps. My dog would walk with me...not because he wanted the exercise...I think it was because he thought I had lost my mind!

This is a quote that inspired me when I first started...each step takes us closer to where we want to be.

"Sometimes we make the process more complicated than we need to. We will never make a journey of a thousand miles by fretting about how long it will take or how hard it will be. We make the journey by taking each day step by step and then repeating it again and again until we reach our destination." Joseph B. Wirthlin

• tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited October 2019
    Today's plan~
    *wake up/6m✔
    *3m@/ITband stretch X 3 /twice daily/1
    *knee exercises✔
    *mild stretching✔
    *balance exercise✔
    *walk
    ▪CHALLENGES
    •Day 10
    Jumpstart~ lean legs
    •Day 8
    Find 10~ interval training/step up intervals
    •Day 13
    Plateau Busting~ new weigh in plan✔ - I began weighing daily 18 months ago as a member of a challenge group. Took some time to get used to that! I'll continue daily weigh-ins with a focus on Thursdays.
  • belldee9
    belldee9 Posts: 5 Member
    So my leg hurts after yesterday brisk walking, but to keep myself active I think I overcompensated by cleaning the house for 5 hours, and I just did some 500 steps of slow walking in the evening. I'm optimistic, though I guess it'll take longer for me to finally be able to run or walk like before.
  • LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Walked 2 miles today. It was a bit drizzly and cool, thoroughly enjoyable! Yesterday I rode my bike for 3 miles, my personal best!

Great work everyone, just keep moving!
  • EsGmaAli
    EsGmaAli Posts: 29 Member
    I would love to join your group. My new is Ali. I am 55 years old and need to get moving. I spend most of my days hoping on and off confey calls, with little to no walking while I'm at work. My goal is to start walking for 30 minutes, 3x per week. My second goal is use the gym membership that I've been paying for all year and have yet to walk in the facility. :(

Looking forward to moving with you all!

-A
  • Annie_01
    @tiabirdie56 You have quite a workout schedule! I am trying to work up to an hour to an hour and a half. Hope it was a good day for you.

@belldee9 Starting over really plays with the mind. I went through that when I started this walking plan. I used to go out and walk all day long and to have to start over at 10 min walks was a little defeating. I knew however that is where I needed to start. That first day I didn't even get in a 1/2 mile. Start slowly and just keep adding to it whenever you can. You will be back to where you were before you know it. I have faith in you!

@LeeH31 So glad you checked in with us. I was wondering how you were doing. 3 miles...I'm impressed!

@EsGmaAli Welcome to moving with us. I love your gym story...I had one of those kind of memberships before...one where you just hand over the money and never go back! Occasionally I think about a gym membership but I know that I am not gym material.

Okay ladies...I will throw this out one more time because I think we all need to remember this...

It is a shame for a woman to grow old without ever seeing the strength and beauty of which her body is capable. - Author Unknown

Somewhere within us we are all strong and beautiful women.
  • LeeH31
    edited October 2019
    Hey Annie, hope you're walking tall today! I had my usual Wednesday house to clean(my job). It's too windy to cycle today, so I will be walking, then doing my Launchpad exercises for strength. I am on the 3rd level, after that I have to go on to something else. I think I can use the site you gave me to devise my own exercise plan. Looking forward to getting down and dirty with the resistance bands.

It is so good to see others joining this thread. Getting started may seem hard, but it is a real challenge to keep moving long enough to WANT to do it. I finally got to that point, I WANT to walk, bike, and strength train. In fact, I have to remind myself not to overdo! All that in only 50 days. Starting from walking 10 minutes a day and doing seated exercises. Wow. (pats self on the back) ;):D

LAT1963 How you doing? Hope you are up and moving a little more. Have you thought about seated exercises to help maintain strength?

tiabirdie56 Way to go, Tish! Don't tire yourself out and set yourself back with the adrenal fatigue. Hugs! (love the dimples!)

belldee9 You can do this, just don't stop trying. Failure once doesn't mean failure always. If you fall down, get up, don't lie there in the dirt crying!

donimfp Did you get that pedometer clipped on and walk out the door? How's your back?

EsGmAli Hi and welcome! Wish I could afford a gym, take advantage of your advantage and work it baby!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited October 2019
    donimfp wrote: »
    OMG @Annie_01, you may be the answer to my prayers. I am SO relating to your posts. Just found this challenge this evening. I'm actually your neighbor to the south in San Marcos. Isn't the break in heat awesome? Anyway, I'm 63, a formerly very fit girl, but have gradually become so sedentary, doing great work writing and creating, but not MOVING. I've been trying to inspire myself. Last week I ordered and received a pedometer but have kept it in a drawer because I thought, "Seeing a recording of 25 steps would be so disheartening!" I went to an event on Sept. 20 and actually danced and had a ball, but my lower back hurt so much at the end of the evening that now when I move it tightens up. But I think I just need to work through it. You have given me the inspiration to start tomorrow. Last year (March 2018) I took an amazing trip to Florence and Rome and walked a ton but I really wasn't ready for it, so your plan to get yourself really ready is so wise. I pushed through it and loved it, but it would have been much better not pushing through it. Thanks for starting this thread. I'm gonna clip that pedometer on in the a.m. and go walk. I might not make it more than 10 minutes, but that's ok. Better than nothing. It's great being able to write and edit lovely paragraphs, but unfortunately that doesn't add much to one's lifespan. I can't wait to start seeing numbers of steps like you're recording.

Maybe some gentle yoga will help with the back issue. Whatever the modern 'best practice' sit-up would maybe help muscle balance for your back long-term. For back spasms, my doc gave me baclofen, and it works well for me--if I take it right when the problem starts it prevents it from getting into an inflammation loop and just the one dose takes care of the problem. Otherwise I have to take it a few days to recover if I let the back get into that feedback loop. (spasm-->pain-->inflammation-->spasm in response to pain and inflammation...). So ask your doc if that med would work for you (is non-narcotic and pretty weak but can do wonders when applied to the right kind of problem--anti spasmotic. typically paired with an NSAID to control the pain and inflammation part of the loop).
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited October 2019
    EsGmaAli wrote: »
    I would love to join your group. My new is Ali. I am 55 years old and need to get moving. I spend most of my days hoping on and off confey calls, with little to no walking while I'm at work. My goal is to start walking for 30 minutes, 3x per week. My second goal is use the gym membership that I've been paying for all year and have yet to walk in the facility. :(

Looking forward to moving with you all!

-A

Hm. Do you have workout clothes? When I wasn't injured sometimes if I fell out of the gym habit, just buying a new workout-outfit or shoes would be enough to get me to start going again. This site is sponsored by Under Armour so of course look there first. I also like Athleta. (PS: because of the way the fashion and fabric industries work, I've found the color/dyes between brands in a given time frame seem to be compatible, so it's possible to mix and match tops and bottoms across companies and still look pulled-together).

LeeH31--yeah, I've *thought* about seated exercise but I haven't actually *done* any. 🤗🤪
  • tiabirdie56
    edited October 2019
    Yesterday
    ▪Did not walk. Shopping and food prepping took up 4 hrs of time. Did not do step up intervals. Step ups were included in my strength training. After my workouts and 3 hrs of standing and cooking, my knee needed rest. No exercise today yet, it's 8pm. I still have a shot at it😀 Looking forward to that walk & step up intervals workout tomorrow. I don't like leaving a workout undone. I just move it forward.

*wake up/6m✔
    *3m@/ITband stretch X 3 /twice daily/✔
    *knee exercises✔
    *mild stretching✔
    *balance exercise✔
    *walk❌
    ▪CHALLENGES
    •Day 10
    Jumpstart~ lean legs✔
    •Day 8
    Find 10~ interval training/step up intervals❌
    •Day 13
    Plateau Busting~ new weigh in plan✔ - I began weighing daily 18 months ago as a member of a challenge group. Took some time to get used to that! I'll continue daily weigh-ins with a focus on Thursdays.

• tiabirdie56
    Okay, no workout, but that gave me the opportunity to do this functional fitness test. I do have my work cut out for me.

●30 day limited mobility challenge~functional fitness /test
    •repeat every 6 to 8 weeks•
    *Adults 60 to 79*

Test #1: sit to stand-10 to 19 reps (11reps)

Test #2: arm curl-11 to 22reps
    (20r/L&R)

Test #3: chair sit & reach-able to reach within 4" of toes to 5" past them, no matter which leg is forward. (within 1")

Test #4: back scratch-able to get hands within 9" of each other
    (left hand over shoulder/cannot reach right hand- approx. 5" apart•right hand over shoulder/able to grab and clasp hands) bad shoulders, need strengthening

Test #5: stand up & go-finish in 3.8 to 7.4 seconds (6sec)

Test #6: march in place 2m~68-115 marches per side (45/2m) marching is difficult on right knee
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited October 2019
    Have exercise equipment in my home and a Gym membership, am attempting to walk 7,500 steps each day--Good Luck everyone and thanks @Annie_01
  • tiabirdie56
    edited October 2019
    Today's Plan~
    *wake up/6m✔
    *3m@/ITband stretch X 3 /twice daily (1)
    *knee exercises
    *mild stretching
    *balance exercise✔
    *walk
    CHALLENGES
    •Day 8
    Find 10~ interval training/step up intervals
    •Day 4
    Jumpstart~ core
    •Day 16
    Plateau Busting~How to deal with setbacks.✔
  • tiabirdie56
    edited October 2019
    Annie_01 wrote:
    @tiabirdie56 You have quite a workout schedule! I am trying to work up to an hour to an hour and a half. Hope it was a good day for you.

@Annie_01, All active days are good days for me! Those evenings sometimes are full of aches and stiffness though. 😃 There are days when my body rebels and is not in one accord with what I want to do. That is a rest day. You will get to hour+ workouts.

• Annie_01
    Hey Everyone...another day!

Walking Program

Week 1 Totals 65 min/ 7955 steps/ 3.22 miles
    Week 2 Totals 110 min/ 13308 steps/ 6.3 miles

Week 3

Daily Step Goal 5500

10/5 20 min walk/2370 steps/1.1 miles - 5866
    10/6 20 min walk/3165 steps/1.5 miles - 5922
    10/7 20 min walk/3106 steps/1.5 miles - 6276
    10/8 20 min walk/3182 steps/1.2 miles - 6227
    10/9 Rest Day - 5615
    10/10 20 min walk/3066 steps/1.5 miles -
    10/11 30 min walk/

I felt really beat up yesterday so gave myself a rest day. I think I needed it. Instead I tried out a new exercise...Farmer's Walks. I thought it would make a good functional exercise even for someone 67 y/o...help carry in those groceries. I used light weights (5lb dumbbells) to start and walked around my backyard. So I think I will add them to my weekly routine. Here is a site that shows you how to do them.

https://www.silversneakers.com/blog/daily-exercises-older-adults/
  • Annie_01
    LINIA wrote: »
    Have exercise equipment in my home and a Gym membership, am attempting to walk 7,500 steps each day--Good Luck everyone and thanks @Annie_01

Hey @LINIA I can"t begin to tell you all the exercise equipment that I have had. I finally got honest with myself that I hated using it so I sold it all. Now I just use resistance bands and hand weights. I finally admitted to myself I didn't want to be a "power lifter" or "lift heavy".

On my walking I just keep adding 500 steps each week until I reach at least 10,000. After that I might add 250 a week until I decide that is enough.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.
  • tiabirdie56
    edited October 2019
    Today's Plan~
    *wake up/6m✔
    *3m@/ITband stretch X 3 /twice daily ✔
    *knee exercises✔
    *mild stretching✔
    *balance exercise✔
    *walk~45m✔
    CHALLENGES
    •Day 8
    Find 10~ interval training/step up intervals✔/10min. Gotta start somewhere. Felt good, no knee instability on the lateral movements.
    •Day 4
    Jumpstart~ core✔
    •Day 16
    Plateau Busting~How to deal with setbacks.✔
    Also did 30m of yard cleanup. More of that tomorrow.

@Annie_01, Your steps are increasing at a good daily pace. Good for you taking a rest day! There was a time that I would beat myself in the ground 7 days a week. The resulting burnout taught me a lesson on the importance of rest. Farmers walks! I remember reading about that earlier this year. I said to myself, what is that? After reading the article, I had to chuckle, I've been doing that all my life!

• LeeH31
    Walked 50 minutes today. How'd everyone do?
  • Annie_01
    This is my resistance workout routine. I use light weights and am still working on form. Just about any exercise can be adjusted to use bands. I had to get creative on a couple and work with my body.

Workout A
    Squats - 3 sets 8-10 reps / Body Weight Only
    Chest Press - 3 sets 8-10 reps / Bands
    Rows - 3 sets 8-19 reps / Bands
    Triceps - 1 set 10-15 reps / Bands or Dumbbell
    Calf Raise - 2 sets 8-12 reps / Body Weight Only

Workout B
    Deadlifts - 3 sets 6-8 reps / I use a bar with loops or a set of dumbbells
    Lat Pull-downs - 3 sets 8-10 reps / Bands
    Shoulder Press - 3 sets 8-10 reps / Bands
    Curls - 1 set 10-15 reps / Dumbbells
    Ab Side Bends - 2 sets 8-15 reps / Dumbbell