Need distraction

Options
Yikes! I’ve reached my calorie limit for the day and I’m hungry. How do you distract yourself when you need to stay firm? I ate a fair bit of protein today but tonight I’m having daydreams about raiding the kitchen. What do you do to stay strong?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I would start with asking myself why I'm feeling this way. Is your target too aggressive? Did you have a good workout that might be making you feel more hungry? TOM, or close too it? You mentioned protein, but what about fat and fibre? Is this a one off, or a pattern of hunger?

Once I've considered all of these things, I would make a decision about how to proceed.
  • BecomingMyBetterSelf
    Options
    Did you eat something that wasnt as nutrient dense? Just because you hit your calorie goal that doesn't equate to good calories or bad calories.
  • rumbaimom
    rumbaimom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think I ate pretty healthfully. Lean chicken, peas, beef, asparagus, potatoes. I’m just looking for lighthearted distraction to get over this hurdle.
  • rumbaimom
    rumbaimom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I would start with asking myself why I'm feeling this way. Is your target too aggressive? Did you have a good workout that might be making you feel more hungry? TOM, or close too it? You mentioned protein, but what about fat and fibre? Is this a one off, or a pattern of hunger?

Once I've considered all of these things, I would make a decision about how to proceed.

I guess now that you mention it I did weights today and took the weight up a bit. That makes sense. Now just to convince myself this sensation I’m feeling is satisfaction instead of hungry. 😂😂
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    rumbaimom wrote: »

I guess now that you mention it I did weights today and took the weight up a bit. That makes sense. Now just to convince myself this sensation I’m feeling is satisfaction instead of hungry. 😂😂

Swimming and weightlifting tend to drive my appetite up. It does go away after a couple weeks (for me). If you haven't eaten any of the exercise calories, you could have a small snack to take the edge off. Maybe for now, plan to feel hungrier on workout days, and eat a little lighter during the day, so you have a few extra calories in the evening.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    rumbaimom wrote: »

Swimming and weightlifting tend to drive my appetite up. It does go away after a couple weeks (for me). If you haven't eaten any of the exercise calories, you could have a small snack to take the edge off. Maybe for now, plan to feel hungrier on workout days, and eat a little lighter during the day, so you have a few extra calories in the evening.

Weightliftering burns more calories than people realize. When I equate for volume moved, my higher volume lifts can burn 200-250 calories. Muscle protein synthesis is also a costly process. In acute situations lifting can raise cortisol, which might cause some people to be more hungry. It blunts appetite in others. Just like stress makes some people over eat and others under.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 753 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    When you say you've reached your calorie limit is it the lower limit that MFP has set or your upper limit? If it's your upper limit either stay firm and don't eat any more and evaluate what you have eaten today and if you made a mistake in counting the calories. Also, did you eat things that didn't fill you up well enough or eat all your meals and snacks too early in the day? If it's the lower limit (usually about 1200 calories) then consider eating a bit more today.

Ok, I just read that you did some weightlifting. You should have a higher than normal upper limit now. Some people eat back their exercise calories and some people do not. Up to you - you should still lose weight if you do.