Coffee... So good... Yet so bad!

Options
So I've realized the past couple days in my food diary that my coffee [which I make at home and add sugar and creamer] is putting a serious dent in my diary. I'm a little bit of an addict, I just must have my coffee in the morning to get through my classes, but there are so many calories in sugar! What is a healthy alternative that you guys have come up with to sweeten coffee without killing your calorie intake?

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Flavored coffee with almond milk. It's creamy, and about 10 calories if you use a 1/4 cup of milk.
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You can try cinnamon or truvia/stevia. And like summertime_girl said, almond milk is a great alternative for creamer since it is low in calories.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Sugar free syrups. Torani is a good brand, though I buy mine at Starbucks when I can. It's more expensive but tastes better.
  • ehensarling17
    ehensarling17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use just a little fat-free half n' half in my coffee in the mornings.
  • amberleebrock
    Options
    I use a sweetener, and have found over the last month that I don't use as much as when I started.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    So I've realized the past couple days in my food diary that my coffee [which I make at home and add sugar and creamer] is putting a serious dent in my diary. I'm a little bit of an addict, I just must have my coffee in the morning to get through my classes, but there are so many calories in sugar! What is a healthy alternative that you guys have come up with to sweeten coffee without killing your calorie intake?

Before I grind up my beans, I add a tsp of cinnamon to it. That way I can still have flavor without all the stuff creamer brings with it. Cinnamon is good for you as well :smile:
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Learn to love the taste of good coffee with nothing in it. :drinker:
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Try it black. I have been drinking it that way since i started a healthier life style and i dont miss the cream or sugar. i have had it with cream and sugar a few times since and it just taste wrong now.
  • bwesser
    bwesser Posts: 61
    Options
    I would definitely recommend using the stevia plant. Truvia is a very popular name that can be found in the grocery store. Please, please don't use any artifical sweetners as they are not natural and bad for your body... even if they are low cal.

Also, you will use less stevia and it will last longer because it is 10x sweeter than sugar itself. :)
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Try Truvia. Its a natual no calorie sweetner and it tastes close to sugar. I started using it and never went back. I love my coffee, it will be the last thing to go.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You could always just drink it without sweetener or creamer. That's how I take my caffeine in the morning, extra strong and no adders.
  • dcook6
    dcook6 Posts: 4
    Options
    Use Splenda for the sugar and with coffee mate it comes to only 10 calories
  • TinyTina2012
    Options
    skim milk and stevia. Do some research on stevia... It's a natural sweetener and is sweeter than sugar... I barely have to put any in my coffee and I used to use 2-3 sugar packets in each cup.
  • patti2852
    Options
    I went from cream and sugar to black a few years back and after a couple of cups I was used to it. Now I can't have cream and sugar as it tastes like dessert.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    try sun crystals.. its 5 calories in each packet... and then just use non fat milk. Its not the the same those yummy creamers but your taste buds will surely adjust with time :-) Good luck! I too was addicted to coffee and have recently cut it from my diet completely.. its been 2 months 3 days since my last cup :-)
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have gone to almond milk and found it good.
  • jnettiedotson
    Options
    flavored creamer
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other lady. Learn to drink it black with nothing in it. When I first started drinking coffee I had more cream and sugar than coffee. Then I decided to drink my coffee black. It took a while to get use to the taste. It is an acquired taste. Now I drink a pot every morning with nothing in it. Can't start the day without a pot of coffee. :drinker: I :heart: my coffee. Think I'll make another pot.:laugh:
  • genxrider
    genxrider Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee, but check out agave syrup. I use it for fresh lemonade.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I used to have to have a lot of sweetener or flavored creamer in my coffee. I ditched the flavored creamers (have you read what's in those?!?!!) for half and half and sugar. Then I slowly reduced the amount of sugar in my coffee until I got to the point where I don't need it. Now all I have is a little bit of half and half and I actually prefer it that way. If you retrain your taste buds you'll find you don't even miss the sugar.