Alcoholic drinks

JenniferM1234
JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
edited October 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I love margaritas and pina coladas when out for "date night" or with friends on weekends, but there are better choices, I'm sure. I know that some empty calories are totally worth it when you're having social fun. Social fun is a crucial part of being happy, we are social creatures after all. But for the future, which are the smartest alcoholic drink choices I can make? i.e., which drinks are lowest in calories?

Replies

• kiddycat73
    kiddycat73 Posts: 67 Member
    I’m going to a wedding tonight. It will be my 1st time going out and drinking alcohol since starting weight loss. I plan to order vodka/club soda and flavor it with a zero calorie water enhancer that I’ll bring in my purse.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Bourbon is my choice for the best buzz to calorie ratio. Two shots (i.e., three ounces; 66 calories per ounce; 200 calories) and you're where you want to be for the night. Plus, some bourbons have a great taste - caramel vanilla oak-ish. Add a splash of water to dilute, if you're not used to the hard stuff.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I usually choose craft beer or prosecco and just limit how much I have (typically 2 servings for a night out). Those aren't the lowest calorie options by a long shot, but I truly enjoy them most.

In years past, I liked hard liquor so would usually do shots of tequila, vodka, or Jagermeister. I'm older now and most of my friends don't drink much so I avoid that. But it was pretty low calorie!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I love margaritas and pina coladas when out for "date night" or with friends on weekends, but there are better choices, I'm sure. I know that some empty calories are totally worth it when you're having social fun. Social fun is a crucial part of being happy, we are social creatures after all. But for the future, which are the smartest alcoholic drink choices I can make? i.e., which drinks are lowest in calories?

Anything straight or with ZERO calorie pop (ie. rum and coke zero).
    Beer.... Guiness 160cal / pint.

Not sure where that Guiness calorie count is coming from, but Guiness has 210 calories per imperial pint. That 160 may be a 16oz pint I guess that would tally? I’ve never understood the difference between what we use as a pint and what’s meant as a pint over the Atlantic 🤷‍♀️
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Basically, the lowest calorie alcoholic drinks are the ones without any mixers except water. Do you like beer or wine? Can you drink a mixed drink with diet soda instead of regular (Cuba Libre with diet cola for example)?

I don't like paying the prices for wine when I am out so I usually either drink vodka with diet sprite or light beer.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Anything straight or with ZERO calorie pop (ie. rum and coke zero).
    Beer.... Guiness 160cal / pint.

Not sure where that Guiness calorie count is coming from, but Guiness has 210 calories per imperial pint. That 160 may be a 16oz pint I guess that would tally? I’ve never understood the difference between what we use as a pint and what’s meant as a pint over the Atlantic 🤷‍♀️

imperial pint = 19.2 oz & US pint = 16 oz
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Vodka soda with lime or a light beer are usually my choices, depending where we are.
  • eeanneli
    eeanneli Posts: 35 Member
    Gin and slimline tonic for me. Most spirits and diet mixer
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Bourbon is my choice for the best buzz to calorie ratio. Two shots (i.e., three ounces; 66 calories per ounce; 200 calories) and you're where you want to be for the night. Plus, some bourbons have a great taste - caramel vanilla oak-ish. Add a splash of water to dilute, if you're not used to the hard stuff.

This is probably what I would suggest too. A good sipping whiskey. I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners and that (to me) nasty flavor is amplified when mixed with alcohol. When I do mixed drinks I am ready to go over my calories for the day so I only do that a handful of times a year.
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    I would personally go for a dry red wine or a vodka with a splash of cranberry juice and soda water. I love those without vodka for a refreshing drink that’s fizzy and low calorie.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited October 2019
    1 glass of red wine - Cabernet Sauvignon is about 150 calories with 4/5 carbs. :)
    1 2oz shot of tequila is 90 cals - no carbs.

• Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    This summer I was loving all the sparkling water flavors with my gin instead of tonic. Hard to find them in bars and restaurants though, so if I’m out I’ll switch out the tonic with plain club soda with cucumber or lime. Now that it’s turned cooler I’m a single malt gal. I don’t find fitting those calories in very hard.

My guilty pleasure that I will not give up is my Sunday Bloody Mary or the occasional brandy old fashioned. What can I say I live in Wisconsin...Hmm this reminds me I’ll have to work in the hot cider and brandy to the plan.

I swear I’m not a lush!
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Corona Light with lime is my go-to if I'm "out" with friends and anticipating having multiple drinks. It's good on the wallet, too. I can't stand Coors Light or Miller Light but a lot of folks opt for those.

A glass of wine or two with dinner if I'm out on a date. I appreciate a good wine pairing, and I find most restaurants to have pretty conservative pours.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    Okay so...tonight, I'm going to try either shots of bourbon, or vodka and club soda. Since the latter comes with water built in, perhaps it's also a better choice for hangover avoidance. Thank you, MFPers!
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Okay so...tonight, I'm going to try either shots of bourbon, or vodka and club soda. Since the latter comes with water built in, perhaps it's also a better choice for hangover avoidance. Thank you, MFPers!

Good choice. I recommend Basil Hayden. Excellent beginner's bourbon - smooth, rich caramel, nutty, and vanilla flavor, a bit less alcohol than some other bourbons but because of that it's less harsh and great for sipping and savoring. Also, not very expensive.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    1 glass of red wine - Cabernet Sauvignon is about 150 calories with 4/5 carbs. :)
    1 2oz shot of tequila is 90 cals - no carbs.

OK, but if you're counting carbs for the purpose of staying in ketosis, alcohol will kick you out just as much as carbs will, as your body can't do anything with alcohol except use it for immediate energy needs, and will preferentially do so (over fat) until out had gotten rid of it.
  • volcano62
    volcano62 Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2019
    Light beer (70 cal for 1 beer 3% alc) or 1 glass of red wine (200 cal per 8oz)
  • bb_twins
    bb_twins Posts: 11 Member
    I like my Tito’s & Coke Zero from time to time...but I really don’t drink but a couple times a year maybe. So I can’t speak
  • I drink light beer and straight whiskey...that's it. Honestly, as I've gotten older that's really all I like anymore anyway, cutting or not.