advise

Options
hi people, i really struggle with going to the gym - i have social anxiety and it really knocks me when all i want to do is get myself fit. Many times i have got as far as the gym and them just walked away.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Getting fit doesn't have to mean gym time necessarily especially if that causes you anxiety - how about a walk?
    Or a youtube exercise video you can do at home?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I always find this argument strange. Nobody talks to me at my gym. It's like everyone is in their own little bubble, just doing their thing. I also go to the pool--same thing. They are the most unsocial places I know. If you want to get to know people, you can, but it's a struggle, nobody seems to want to chitchat. It's fine with me, I don't want to waste time when I'm there. So I'm asking--have you gone to a gym and found a lot of people want to talk to you?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of the gym because of the noise, bright lights, and smell, so I walk outside and at the mall in the winter (in the morning before the stores open so it's quiet and dark). I have a barbell at home and use "full body barbell" workout videos to get strength training in.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    W21GHTY wrote: »
    hi people, i really struggle with going to the gym - i have social anxiety and it really knocks me when all i want to do is get myself fit. Many times i have got as far as the gym and them just walked away.

As mentioned you do not need a gym to improve your fitness. However, is this something you can work on in therapy?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    W21GHTY wrote: »

Since graduating school (many many years ago :blush: ), I have never stepped foot in a gym. I do a lot of walking, I use DVDs at home. I bought a cheap stepper years ago that I'll hop on while watching TV, and recently got some adjustable weights.

If you feel like going to the gym is important to your success, or if this is a problem that limits you in other areas of your life, therapy is a great option, it can really help!

If you are looking for strength training specifically, there are several at home and minimal equipment options listed here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Good luck!
  • ebecht1
    ebecht1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I fully understand where you're coming from. It is intimidating for sure. I find most people are paying no attention to anyone other than themselves. For me, it took a couple times of going outside my comfort zone and then I realized it was fine. Also- I used home videos for the longest time too. There are also TONS on YouTube. And I walked and walked and walked. Good luck-you got this!
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have no advice. I feel completely the same. I have such anxiety. ALWAYS leave feeling better, often good, but it is NEVER motivation enough to get myself to go any time soon.

And it's not the same as working out at home. I like the machines.

So I do understand what you are going through. I'm not sure I even have a valid reason for my anxiety anymore either!