What do you do for your joints?

I’m 26 years old and from playing sports I tore my acl 11 years ago and already have pretty severe arthritis in my knee, and also have arthritis in my spine and shoulder. I’m obviously very young to already having pain from this 😓 Is there anything you guys do/take to help your joints (aside from losing weight/exercising)

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited October 2019
    I take Puritans Pride Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM Joint Soother. It does a great job.

I have osteoarthritis and have already had three joints replaced.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Surgery and physical therapy. Given you history, I don't think you're especially young for this. I think I was probably 24 and 25 for my first two knee surgeries and then 30 and 31 for the second two (I'm 32 now). In my case it was a mix of congenital orthopedic issues and a dislocation that was poorly managed - I should have had physical therapy but didn't and I had no idea at the time that I should have had PT. The lack of PT accelerated the need for surgery, but I probably would have needed at least two surgeries (one per knee) regardless. Weight had nothing to do with it for better or worse and surgery way inescapable. If I hadn't had my previous knee surgeries, I would have eventually needed knee replacements.

Currently I don't really target my knees intentionally, but all of the sports I do are glute intensive which is very helpful. My knees will occasionally get a bit swollen for reasons I can't pinpoint and they don't always enjoy the cold (though today they were fine...) but I can do more or less everything now.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Strength training and yoga with approval and specific advice from a physical therapist - to support the joint better.

Therapeutic massage was wonderful but pricey.

Fish oil seems to help me. Generous use of ice packs. And not crossing my legs, which is very hard to unlearn (really helps knees and hips).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i have a disorder affecting my joints
    i typically do bodyweight work and aerial yoga.
    and try to keep moving when my body allows
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    I have RA so I take a lot of meds anyway but I also use tumeric which I find helps with inflammation.
  • I'm a firm believer in Animal Flex. I've been taking it for years, my joints feel pretty good considering the abuse they've gone through. I definitely notice if I run out and dont take it for a week.
  • Chieflrg wrote: »
    I just resistance train. It's the only thing besides chemo(temporarily) that helped noticeably with the pain from my progressive joint disease.

Current evidence shows adequate resistance training can benefit and reduce pain with people with osteoarthritis. Particularly people more of advanced age.

Stronger muscles from trained individuals will support deteriorating joints more effectively than untrained individuals.

I've tried telling this to so many people, yet no one seems to believe that.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Yoga, resistance training, walking and staying active. As soon as I stop moving, I get sore and my mobility turns to crap.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    For my OA I’m currently on HGH and
    Hyaluronic acid, making a massive difference
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I just resistance train. It's the only thing besides chemo(temporarily) that helped noticeably with the pain from my progressive joint disease.

Current evidence shows adequate resistance training can benefit and reduce pain with people with osteoarthritis. Particularly people more of advanced age.

Stronger muscles from trained individuals will support deteriorating joints more effectively than untrained individuals.

Also if you do ever end up need surgery, going into surgery physically fit from a cardio and muscular standpoint will help you immensely. I am almost positive I was just inside the obese category before my last two surgeries and no one ever mentioned my weight. What my ortho and physical therapists did talk about was how happy they were that I was so athletic and how much that was going to and ultimately did play into a fast recovery (fast for what it was - both surgeries nessistated long recoveries).
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I roll them tight and always pass to the left. It's just proper etiquette! Lol.. no glucosamine.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Resistance and balance training (takes a slow build up, but it helps immensely). Movement in general.

Torn meniscus in both knees, went through PT originally, just keep up with it on my own now. Occasional chiropractic, but for the most part, increasing my fitness, strength, and flexibility has almost eliminated the need for those "tune ups."

I have an ankle that is and will be a constant reminder every single day for the rest of my life, and I find topically applied CBD oil to be a life changer. Doesn't get rid of the pain, but the constant, daily, ache goes away, making it much easier to live with.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Same. Doctors tell me the only thing keeping me out of a wheelchair is strong back muscles.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    Motion is Lotion.

A quote from my orthopedist...So much wonderful advice here I hope it helps you.
  • mfp4kc
    mfp4kc Posts: 29 Member
    cyndit1 wrote: »
    I have RA so I take a lot of meds anyway but I also use tumeric which I find helps with inflammation.

Yes! And, forms of turmeric that are hydro-soluble absorb better.