Water ?

Options
I have a hard time getting 8 glasses of water down a day. Plain water just bores me!! I do love unsweet Iced Tea though. Can I count that towards my water??

Replies

• Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You can, but I'd drink more than 8 glases of it, considering it' got other stuff in too so the benefit is more deminihed than if it were plain water IMHO
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Some say 8 glasses is a myth, but all I say is that water is the best and I drink a gallon per day and i feel always refreshed with lots of energy and it always keeps you full all the time so you don't overdo you meals :-)

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • icpgrl
    icpgrl Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you tried the new water additive Mio? They make it in tea and many other flavors and there is nothing in it. No calories, nothing. It's delicious and has helped me drink lots more water!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I buy drink mixes from walmart that you add to 16oz bottles of water. My favorites are Cherry Limeade and Raspberry ice - they are sooo good. Pretty inexpensive too. I get bored with plain water and don't think lemon adds much flavor.

To me, the Mio has an after taste. I don't get that with the WalMart mixes
  • Jeliica
    Jeliica Posts: 41
    Options
    Unsweetened Ice Tea has no carbs or calories unless you add stuff to it that has 1g or 5g or sugar. But, there is nothing to it, so if you want the flavor go for it and it has water in it, so it still counts! My nutritionist tells me when I drink a protein shake it has 2 glasses of water, so that counts to my 8 glasses a day!
  • lauren0804
    Options
    Try adding a little bit of Crystal Light into it...there's tons of flavors :)
  • shortiy2k2002
    Options
    Have you tried the Sobe Life Water? they have 0 calories and no sugar, and taste like juice. I still drink 10 glasses of water daily, and while feeling full I am seeming to lose weight steadily with it. When I am tired of water I usually go for a sobe or natural/herbal tea.
  • Blufairae
    Blufairae Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, be careful of all the caffeine though as it can dehydrate you. Try mixes with low or no sugar, be aware of too much aspartame too. Maybe try drinking those throughout the day but drink plain water with meals since the flavor isn't as important while you are eating.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Adding fruit to your water really livens it up and is so refreshing (a squeeze of lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, a slice of peach or nectarine, etc.). : )
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    My GF runs one of the 40 Lindora weight loss clinics here in Southern California. Their rule is that any calorie free drink counts as water. They, too, push "8*8".

I can't imagine drinking half a gallon of water a day, even if it was purified with bourbon.

The original concept of "8 glasses of water a day" came from research that the US Army did during WWII. Their labs discovered that the "average person" needed 8 glasses a day of water from all sources.

Yes, I know that the Army pushes people to drink a lot of water. I was a soldier, an NCO, and a combat arms officer so I've been on all sides of the issue. But just because the Army get soldiers to do something, does not mean that it's "right" — it just means that it's policy.

The advantage of drinking lots of water is that it fools your stomach so that you put off being thirsty. Other than that, I haven't been able to find any credible information about a reason to drink that much water.

I'm in good company, too. Dr. Valtin, a professor at Dartmouth and the author of a book on kidneys, could find no medical basis for the "8 x 8" recommendation. What I like about this article is that it's balanced, researched, and the discussion appears to be unbiased. Sort of like…science. :-)

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~news/releases/2002/aug/080802.html

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/283/5/R993.full

Having taken up running again, I've been reading about long distance running (did a half marathon last weekend!) and the international medical directors association for marathons changed their recommendations about drinking in the past few years. They used to recommend "prehydrating" and drink X ounces per hour. They actually changed their recommendation that you drink water - gasp - when you're thirsty! Their reasoning - IIRC, the phrase "overwhelming medical evidence" was used.

Yup, man's been evolving for about 200,000 years and, as far as we can tell, the thirst mechanism is pretty well debugged.
  • AMA983
    AMA983 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Adding fruit to your water really livens it up and is so refreshing (a squeeze of lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, a slice of peach or nectarine, etc.). : )

I totally agree. I love a bit of lemon or lime in my water. It helps a lot when I just can't drink plain water. I'll have to try other fruits too!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I feel to get all the benefits from plain water, you need to drink plain water. And lots of it. (You'll get lots of different opinions on this here.)

As for not liking it, drink it anyway.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love lemon in my water but don't always have fresh lemons around -- so I put a little bit of bottled lemon juice in -- then I can't get enough water it's so delicious!
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I can hit 6 glasses of water no problem, the last 2 become a challenge, but I am going for it!