Women 60 and over...losing weight is tough!

Options
2»

Replies

• willnevergiveup
    willnevergiveup Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am 67. I lost 100 pounds about six years ago and two years ago decided to lose the second 110 pounds I needed to lose. I am now 8 pounds from my goal.

I've learned that exercise is good for all kinds of things--reducing stress and blood pressure, sleeping better, gaining muscle --but losing weight is not one of them. I do 30 minutes HIIT on a stationary bike, yoga for 20 minutes, and walk an average of 15K steps per day as well as strength training 20 minutes 3-4 times a week but I don't do it to lose weight because it just doesn't work.

I am highly insulin resistant. Going low carb, high fat and, a year ago, going to a ketogenic diet, is what worked for me. I stalled for a while until I added intermittent fasting. I plan on continuing eat keto and doing daily intermittent fasting (14:10 or 18:6 with a 24 hour one weekly) forever.

I had been on the maximum dosage of two high blood pressure meds all of my adult life and still my bp was 140/90. Now I take no high bp meds and my bp is 115/55. My cholesterol numbers went from mediocre to fantastic. I had been diagnosed with T2 diabetes with an A1C of 13.6 and, after losing the first 100 pounds, had been able to keep it at 5.8-5.9 with exercise, LCHF diet, and metformin. My last A1C was 5.2 and, while I still take metformin, my doctor said I could stop it whenever I wished.

I'm not going to say keto and fasting are the only ways to lose weight and get healthier. We're all different. The trick is for each person to try different things until they find what works for them.

• AmyM831
    AmyM831 Posts: 258 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @willnevergiveup, you are an inspiration. My daughter is in med school with her focus on Diabetes. She teaches a class on it one day a week. She also has a grant to do research on people with Type 2 Diabetes. I have heard the 16:8 diet is good for people with Diabetes as it is fasting for 16 hours a day. I tend to fast for about 14 hours a day but that is just my eating habits, not anything I try to do. Eating in the evening makes me wake up with a food hangover and I am not ready to eat when I wake up.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    It can be challenging at times. I slipped back on 5 pds last winter(2018) and they’re still hanging around. I was happier at 147-150 then 155. I just felt better and sizes fit easier, 8’s were looking good on me and now I’m back to 10 or earing something with elastic/strecth in them. I was feeling so well my sight was to makee to 145-147.

I’ve had a health issue and shoulder surgery so I do need to cut myself some slack on this but overaall I know I can do better. So I’m back to daily log and I cut back on my intake. it’s too erratic to make a difference. Exercise isn’t an issue, I have always enjoyed this.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    When I was losing (in my 50s), I lost at the rate MFP stated (1 lb/wk). I gained about 10 of those back over the years and am now losing them. I'm not as motivated as I was back then. I'm watching my calories but don't fret if I go over. Weight is coming off, although slower. That's due to my lack of motivation, though, not my age, I think. I'm now in my early 60s.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight 2 times in my life. In my early 20’s, and again at age 60. It wasn’t any harder, or easier, at either age. The hard part for me is keeping it off. So here I am again at age 67, trying to lose again. Fortunately, I came to my senses before I gained it all back this time.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I am getting off the 15 lbs i put on over the last three years after hip replacements. I find I am losing at the .5 rate MFP set for me (maybe a touch more). Logging and weighing everything really makes a difference.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Agree @whmscll -my son has me using 5 lbs dumbbells a few times a week. Making a difference in my strength. Hope to graduate to heavier at some point. Am currently just adding too reps. Not what most on here would consider lifting, but it is for me!
  • 04hoopsgal73
    Options
    Yes it is, But we can do it ladies!
  • 04hoopsgal73
    Options
    Search for Women 55-65 and over success stories. Join us. We’ll keep you going.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I too will join the women who lift using 5 - 10 pound dumb bells- I do find that it helps with my strength and with how my arms look. I will be 59 at the end of June so I am also doing my walking and trying to eat more fruits and veggies.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    Options
    Fall, fresh start-new beginnings- give yourself a big hug and love yourself today!