498lbs needs motivation

Options

Replies

• snippitychic
    snippitychic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can do this, I’m here to encourage you! I just started yesterday.
    Anyone can add me!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You can do this, I’m here to encourage you! I just started yesterday.
    Anyone can add me!

If your username means you can be "snippy" I like it.

Also, good luck!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    An interesting thing about being heavily overweight is how many toxins you can flush from your cells down the toilet by drinking large volumes of water throughout the day. Like literally peeing 10 times a day. You will be surprised how much of that weight can be flushed away with the right water intake. It also keeps you full. 1/2 gallon 3litre bottle. You can squeeze in some fruit for flavoring. You don't have to run circuits or have some insane crash diet. Just literally pass it through your system with water. When you know some things can be easier like this then it makes doing it easier also. Also, it's a way to measure that you can do things. If you can't get your water intake right, then what chance have you got of doing anything else right? When I notice myself falling back I look at water. Am I taking enough? The answer is no if I find myself falling back. If I am taking enough water, everything alls falls into place naturally. It's the first step, the easiest one and helps your diet tenfold.

Most of this is myth. Drinking excessive amounts of water only helps you lose water weight. The initial water loss that many people experience anyway will help with joints and physical pain caused by the weight but water loss is not the primary goal and water weight always comes back here and there.

Drinking a little extra water can help some people register fullness faster at meals but there is no reason to start carrying a huge water bottle around and emptying it into yourself multiple times a day.

Holy *kitten* do we agree on something? :#
  • BatmansKcak
    BatmansKcak Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    An interesting thing about being heavily overweight is how many toxins you can flush from your cells down the toilet by drinking large volumes of water throughout the day. Like literally peeing 10 times a day. You will be surprised how much of that weight can be flushed away with the right water intake. It also keeps you full. 1/2 gallon 3litre bottle. You can squeeze in some fruit for flavoring. You don't have to run circuits or have some insane crash diet. Just literally pass it through your system with water. When you know some things can be easier like this then it makes doing it easier also. Also, it's a way to measure that you can do things. If you can't get your water intake right, then what chance have you got of doing anything else right? When I notice myself falling back I look at water. Am I taking enough? The answer is no if I find myself falling back. If I am taking enough water, everything alls falls into place naturally. It's the first step, the easiest one and helps your diet tenfold.

Most of this is myth. Drinking excessive amounts of water only helps you lose water weight. The initial water loss that many people experience anyway will help with joints and physical pain caused by the weight but water loss is not the primary goal and water weight always comes back here and there.

Drinking a little extra water can help some people register fullness faster at meals but there is no reason to start carrying a huge water bottle around and emptying it into yourself multiple times a day.

How much water does a 500 lb person need per day need to stay hydrated without exercising? The answer is much higher than even a huge water bottle. They need at least that to stay healthily hydrated.

This has nothing to do with water weight loss. All human cells require water to function properly. Any cell that is not hydrated properly will not function optimally. How do you expect the cell to use energy if metabolic processes don't have sufficient H2O to work?

Also, you aren't addressing how water also fills the stomach. Hence teas in diets.

The body can detox itself but the body needs to be properly hydrated to do that properly. Even livers are made of cells. That's why after 3 days of no water the body is near death.
  • jessalittlemore
    jessalittlemore Posts: 65 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    The good news is you don't have to exercise at all to lose weight. I have back problems that make even light walking difficult, and I have just hit 60 lbs. lost doing *no* extra exercise. The necessary things for me were:

- Figuring out my base metabolic rate and daily energy expendature (MFP can help with this)
    - Eating at a sustainable calorie deficit
    - Using a food scale to ensure I'm getting accurate calorie logs.

That's it.

That said, it's important for your overall success to learn how to eat healthier, and it's actually easier to lose weight on healthy food than high calorie junk foods. You'll feel hungry a lot faster if you drink a 300 calorie soda than if you eat a 300 calorie meal full of high fiber veggies, even though you're having the same amount of calories.

Remember, SUSTAINABLE deficit! Don't go for something so extreme that it's impossible to maintain. That will just make you miserable and sabotage your success! I started out at 2200 calories for my 370 lbs. weight, which was the recommended 20% "moderate" deficit for the calculator I was using. At that rate I've lost safely and fairly consistently with enough food to feel full, and have since reduced the calories as I go to maintain a good deficit. I've tried more severe calorie cutting many times before only to fail because I couldn't keep up with it and I was always starving. But, funny enough, I'm now eating near the number of calories I remember failing at on a previous attempt (1800), yet I don't feel like I'm starving because my weight is now in line with that amount of calories.

For you, 2500 calories sounds too low. Your body needs more energy to function. It's important not just to lose the weight but to do it safely and sustainably. This isn't a quick fix. You're in it for the long haul, so set yourself up for success!
  • billygunn31
    billygunn31 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I went and got my self a treadmill today

Did you check the weight capacity on the treadmill? Unfortunately unless you got a very high end machine weight capacity is usually 350 pounds or under. May have to look at other options until you get your weight down to the machine's limit.

This article talks specifiaclly about treadmills for standing workstations, but the general ideas apply
    https://www.workwhilewalking.com/do-weight-ratings-on-treadmills-really-matter

Best of luck.

I never checked the weight but iv used it a few times now and it seems to work with me on it.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

Holy *kitten* do we agree on something? :#

I don't recall disagreeing on much of anything.
  • BatmansKcak
    edited October 2019
    Options

I am afraid you are a victim of internet fear mongering. If your urine on your second visit to the restroom of the day and later is straw yellow or lighter you are fine. If it is dark you need more water. How much water a person needs to drink also depends on how much they get from food. As such there is no set amount a person absolutely must drink. I have never had trouble staying hydrated at any weight on a normal day by just drinking when I get thirsty.

Color of urine? That is your crystal-ball interpretation of how hydrated a person is?

What's "fear mongering" about informing people that being hydrated is important for a functional metabolism which is important for weight loss? You are just wrong about this point and demonstrably so.

The peer-review you claimed is mythology contradicts your unsourced opinion that water consumption is irrelevant with respect to weight-loss.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1038/oby.2009.235

Obesity scientific journal saying the opposite.

... and dealing with hypocaloric diets... the very subject of the entire forum.

Do you know that low water intake is associated with obesity?

https://www.nature.com/articles/ijo2011130

Most people don't drink enough water...

https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2013/12_0248.htm

Let alone obese persons.

https://vtnews.vt.edu/articles/2010/08/082310-cals-davy.html

The reason why you avoided my question about how much water a 500lb person should be drinking hydrated is that the answer is more than the 3L I covered. They have higher water needs because they have more mass that needs hydrating.

Scare mongering, lol. Hydration is healthy and water consumption is directly linked to healthy weight loss.
  • BatmansKcak
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Show me one scientific peer review source to support your conjecture. I have supported mine, several times over. I have never come across a single peer-reviewed scientific health article on the top of water, obesity and weight loss that is making the claim that there is no connection as you are.

You have called this science a myth, so I can only associate what you are claiming with fake news. Nothing has changed in science on this point. Low water intake is correlated with obesity. Correct water intake is associated with weight loss and the bigger you are, the more you need to be optimally hydrated for weight loss. Several papers from scientists support that 100%. It is also obvious to anyone who has taken so much as a basic course on cellular biology and metabolism.

The fact is your stance on this doesn't have a shred of science to back it up, hence why you can't prove your claim scientifically. You're the one perpetuating a spurious myth. :)

Who are we going to believe? Scientists or an anonymous poster on a forum. It seems obvious who is giving better advice here. The scientist is.

You derailed this topic by trying to push across this idea they don't need to hydrate properly. They are nearly 500lbs and you think they don't need to be consuming 3l of water per day just to maintain hydration.

In fact, just looking at that last sentence says plenty.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Show me one scientific peer review source to support your conjecture. I have supported mine, several times over. I have never come across a single peer-reviewed scientific health article on the top of water, obesity and weight loss that is making the claim that there is no connection as you are.

You have called this science a myth, so I can only associate what you are claiming with fake news. Nothing has changed in science on this point. Low water intake is correlated with obesity. Correct water intake is associated with weight loss and the bigger you are, the more you need to be optimally hydrated for weight loss. Several papers from scientists support that 100%. It is also obvious to anyone who has taken so much as a basic course on cellular biology and metabolism.

The fact is your stance on this doesn't have a shred of science to back it up, hence why you can't prove your claim scientifically. You're the one perpetuating a spurious myth. :)

Who are we going to believe? Scientists or an anonymous poster on a forum. It seems obvious who is giving better advice here. The scientist is.

You derailed this topic by trying to push across this idea they don't need to hydrate properly. They are nearly 500lbs and you think they don't need to be consuming 3l of water per day just to maintain hydration.

In fact, just looking at that last sentence says plenty.

You have read what you wanted to read to make me seems like I don't care about hydration. I explained the urine test and I explained to drink when thirsty. I am simply not making a huge deal out of it. It takes very little common sense to stay hydrated under normal conditions.

Agreed!

This person, even at close to 500lbs has managed to go his entire life without accidentally dying of dehydration so I think they're OK in that department for now.

Much better off putting their effort and focus on things that do need attention in order to begin to reduce body fat, that being a consistent calorie deficit.

Amen.

This is why I assume that a person can start from where they are. It is true that some people will need to change the way they eat because they were just diagnosed with a medical condition OR the way they eat is not sustainable because of hunger but on the latter that can be determined in the first week or so.

The important thing is to get started and try to stay out of your own way. That last part took me a long time to figure out unfortunately.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    An exercise you can do on the treadmill to start - put a chair at the end of the treadmill, and turn it on a very slow pace. Sit in the chair and walk your feet on the tread. You can set them on the sides when you need a break. Something to try :) best of luck.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    babyluthi wrote: »
    I am really big. The first week I ate what I usually ate weighing and logging it. If it is to cross your lips it HAS to be weighed. Weighing on scales...VERY IMPORTANT. It lets you see what you are doing now. After that week you can begin to make small changes. Let mfp do the calculations for you calories. I also talked with my Dr and let her know what I was up to.

Don't panic, don't get discouraged. You CAN do this. Please know YOU ARE NOT ALONE:)

Don't worry about exercising, walking down the corridor is probably a mission right? All you have to remember is that ANY movement you can do is a bonus! It all counts.
    I use an app called Libra and weigh myself daily to track the normal fluctuations of losses and gains (very fascinating) . The gains are okay so long as the trend is going down:)

I have lost 25kg in 4 months on here under medical supervision.

I wish you the best.

A great blog on here (not mine) The_movie_chair

I started with a slightly different method, but the same idea: start with easy changes.

I am a grazer. I can eat all day long if I let myself and I would eat easy to grab foods which frequently meant things like chips, pizza, etc. I started out by eating 5 regular meals a a day of "real" food. 3 meals and 2 snacks and I made sure there was a nice mix of nutrients from food I fixed from whole foods like meat, veggies, fruit, whole grain bread, eggs, yogurt, cheese, etc. I did not weigh or count calories, I just focused on the regular meals and quality foods. After 6 weeks and 25 lb loss (yes, I was under a doctor's supervision) I started weighing and measuring and counting calories via MFP. I didn't do anything like tweak my macros until I was already settled in to a routine, I just went with the MFP defaults.

I exercised as you suggested. It was an effort to walk to my mailbox, but I started doing it daily. Then I started taking the long way around the complex parking lot to get to that mailbox. As I was able to, I would increase the distance and/or go for more than one short walk per day.

OP, you can do this! Start with a basic change that is easy for you to do and as you begin to get used to it, build on it.