How do you pick your goal weight?

Options
How do you pick your goal weight

Replies

• healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I picked mid of normal BMI too. First, I picked the weight I used to be that was on low-end of normal. Then, after reading some experiences on here, I decided to go for middle of normal (10 lbs more) and body recomp when I get there.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    It is a weight I've been at in the past and relaxed about staying at that weight permanently.
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 358 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    My first long-term goal weight was to get into the healthy range for BMI (from morbid obese). I then updated it based on a weight that I felt was achievable and that was a good weight for me back when I was doing more weight training (about in the middle of the normal BMI range). Shooting for that and will re-assess based on bf%, but will probably do body recomp if need to reduce additional belly fat. (also was seeing a nutritionist so discussed this goal with her as a check to see if still a good weight/achievable given that I am older now :-) Will be checking back in with her in November to assess.

There are ideal body weight calculators at

https://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html?

which can give you a range of options if you are looking for targets.

Keep in mind ideal weight will vary for individuals, so if you are strength training you may actually be heavier than some of the ideal weight results but actually leaner and a much smaller size due to reduced body fat %. It is also a good idea to keep track of measurements (hip, waist, neck, etc) to monitor progress in addition to just tracking changes on the scale. the https://www.calculator.net site does have other calculators that can estimate %bf based on these measurements.

HTH!

• mads_o86
    mads_o86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I started out picking a weight I thought I could maintain and where I thought I remembered that I looked good.

I revised my goal as I got there, as I still had a belly I wanted to lose :-)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    My goal when I started was to get to out of the Obese BMI category and into Overweight. For me that entailed losing 112 pounds. Last week I passed the half way point. I celebrated by not celebrating with food :)

Now that I see how doable this is, I'm starting to feel ambitious about taking it all the way to Normal BMI, but I'll see how I feel about that when I get to 29.9 on the BMI scale.

Me, too.
    But I’m only about 13 pounds from overweight.
  • Ladywynema
    Ladywynema Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I picked my goal based how I was before college. I am overweight and I know I can achieve my goal weight as long as I put forth the effort.
  • Ed2B40
    Ed2B40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    do not focus bon bmi is my advice, how you look and feel about yourself is more important, most of all find happiness
  • DiscipleOfChrist29
    DiscipleOfChrist29 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The high side for my bmi range was how I picked my goal weight. Noticed similar responses. I do not stress about it though but just try to be consistent with what I'm doing.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    I picked it because it is the weight I gained in the last 16 years. (100 lbs) I have 25 to goal and 16 to BMI normal weight.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My BMI range is 9 1/2 to 12 1/2 stone. My first aim was to get out of obesity, hit the healthy BMI range and get under 12 1/2 stone. I don't rate BMI much but as doctors do I figured it would be nice to end the nagging. I got there, slacked, gained a stone, and have now got back there.

I don't want to be thin - I want to be strong and healthy. So my current goal is to get to between 11 and 11 1/2 stone. Then I'll be working on recomposition. Although I kind of am already working on recomposition because I am in no hurry to shed the weight and am working hard to maintain my muscle.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Middle of my ideal BMI range. That's what a lot of folks who have been here for a while do, and what I would recommend.
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I did as many others have suggested and picked a number in the middle of my BMI. Once I got there though, I realized I was much more comfortable at the upper end of my BMI because I felt I lost too much muscle mass, and I am actually in the low end of the overweight range now and would not want to go below my current weight. It is going to vary for each person though, and I think once you get near that goal weight, you will figure out where you are the most comfortable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Melolson14 wrote: »
    How do you pick your goal weight

Never had one...I just wanted to have a reasonably good physique with no gut and no love handles and good health markers...I just lost weight until I got to that point because I had zero clue what my weight would be with those goals.