Unexpected out of town trip...

Options
moonangel12
moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
edited October 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
TLDR - our 12 hour trip just unexpectedly turned into 3.5 days for a funeral - any tips for managing food and exercise with chaos? No scale for weighing food.

We got a call that my husband’s gma wasn’t doing well so we threw some things together and hopped in the car for a 6 hour road trip, expecting to leave the next morning (Hospice gave her at least a week, not hours this morning!). Got another call halfway there that she had already passed so now we are out of state for the next 3 days or so as they plan the visitation and funeral (or it would have been 6 hours of driving each day for the next 4 days - ouch).

It is becoming comical as we realize what all we didn’t bring for our family of 6 and a dog. Clothes, shoes, anything beyond bare basic toiletries and things for an impromptu overnight trip. I don’t even have PJs, I am sleeping in my dress :D . Didn’t even grab the dog food - oi! Shopping is on the agenda for tomorrow!

Anyway, my in laws are not healthy eaters, and the food will start rolling in tomorrow I am guessing (it’s the South, they are already cleaning out the fridges at multiple family homes for all the people that will be bringing meals). Most of it I can’t eat anyway due to gluten issues, but I have been so careful and done so well to weigh and log as accurately as possible that I am not sure what to do the next few days. I know it’s temporary, but I was making such great progress I don’t want to lose habit or momentum! Any tips?? My husband already suggested a stop at the sporting goods store for running shoes for me - bless him and so thankful for his support. I might have to find some prepackaged items that won’t be great, but better than the alternative... and basic fruits and veggies to hold me over. No scale available so I will have to guesstimate as much as possible.

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    eyeball your portions - then take a little bit off.

try to choose better options - like the salad and a meat over the macaroni and cheese.

Don't stress too much about 3 days of not tracking/eating properly/exercising. It's a *kitten* situation and will be emotional and taxing and you won't undo all your hard work by taking a few days off meticulous logging - just get back on it as soon as you get back home.

And most of all - hugs!
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar story to this and it ended with a happy ending (weight wise), so I'll tell it.

About 4 years ago we had planned to take a trip to Fort Smith, Arkansas to visit my BF's grandparents for Christmas (but only the week after due to crazy travel at the holidays). I was DEEP into losing weight and didn't want this trip to derail me. His family is known for cooking and eating "southern" food so I knew my chances of losing were SLIM, but I did my best. I did know that the risk of booze would be limited since his uncle is a recovering alcoholic. So I had that going for me.

1 week before we got on the plane, his grandfather past away suddenly, so what was a happy trip of visiting family turned into a Southern Funeral. FOOD everywhere. I had to just "wade" through it and hope for the best. Workouts went out the window, so I had to meticulously log and only eat things that were easy to log (Salad, fruit, veggies, chicken, eggs, etc). Drank a ton of water and coffee...LOL

After this trip, somehow I made it through (while my BF ended up with food poisoning and putting his back out) and lost 3lbs.

Sometimes life throws us curve balls and we just have to deal. But it can be done.

And like Cahgetsfit said, 3 days won't derail you. If you struggle, get back on track as soon as you can. Don't use this trip to give yourself the "oh well, I screwed up I might as well keep screwing up" excuse.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    I think my concern is less about messing up and more the fact that I am NOT a creature of habit. Due to both stage in life, and personality in general, I don’t have much routine in my life, or consistency, so I am afraid of losing that aspect of this journey over the course of the next 3 days... I am proud of myself that I actually have established this as a part of my daily life! It is what it is, just need to keep going and make the most of it I guess. I am guessing there will be fruit and vegetable trays at least... and I have done a lot of the same portions for things like lunch meat and cheese so hopefully eyeballing it won’t be too far off.
  • moonangel12
    Options
    Whew! We made it! That was a whirlwind of a week! We CRASHED last night. And I even came in one pound less this morning. I know my recorded calories weren’t spot on, but it was better than eating whatever, whenever (like the rest of the family). There actually wasn’t nearly the amount of food I thought there would be, mostly chicken. Lots and lots of chicken :D . We went to the grocery store and grabbed a few easy snacks, and my husband picked up a small food scale for me... not sure how accurate it was (from Walmart - acted a bit finicky. One of my daughters bumped it while I was inbetween food items... it went from 0g to 40g then stayed on 30g. Weird. It’s going back to the store!). I also made the decision to not order anything from Wendy’s, instead eating the snacks we brought back with us - yesterday was my first day going over but it wasn’t by much. I lost my workout routine, I did do a modified Walk at Home session barefoot in a back bedroom between visitors... old house with soft floors and too much stuff! So I had to be careful - only a small spot of open floor space and shaking furniture.