Diet for High Cholesterol

I posted this in Motivation and Support, but then thought it was better suited for this board.

I used MFP years ago and lost about 40 pounds. I've now gained it all back and then some (currently 5'6" and 240 pounds). I found out last week that I now have high cholesterol and my doctor recommended I stay away from red meat, eggs, and dairy (and eat more veggies, fruits, beans, oats, etc).

So I'm a week into my new diet and I feel exhausted and hungry all of the time. I've been eating mainly salads, salmon, lots of veggies, chicken, oatmeal, and Cheerios (Bee Happy, Bee Healthy). I don't know how much longer I can do this. I'm used to high protein diets with protein shakes and eggs and lots of meat, but lower carbs. Those would fill me up. That's how I lost weight in the past (in addition to counting my calories), but now that I can't do what I did before, I just don't know how to eat low cholesterol foods while a) not starving and b) not continuing to gain weight (or just maintaining) because of the carbs. Also, my apologies for the TMI, but I'm also having a lot of bathroom issues because of this high fiber diet.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Most doctors have had one or zero classes on nutrition, so they are rarely the best source for diet information. You may want to get an appointment with a registered dietician.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    I agree to see a registered dietician. But my doctor just told me that diet only controls 15% of cholesterol and so it's probably hereditary for me. I eat a low cholesterol diet and have for years. I have about 7 more pounds to lose and weight loss does lower it for me. My dad had the same cholesterol and they put him on a statin for 15 years (he lived to 94). I'm trying to stay off all medication so I'm seeing if my last 7 pounds will make a difference. All the foods you eat now are what I eat every day (well, except the Cheerios).
  • Luke_rabbit
    edited October 2019
    In the meantime, I would recommend reading cholesterol diet information from trusted medical sites.

For example, generally they encourage eating low fat dairy but staying away from high fat dairy, not avoiding dairy completely.

And one thing I have found helpful is to add protein powder to oatmeal to increase satiety. I use an unflavored unsweetened vegan one for that, but others could work such as egg white or whey.
  • andijean31
    andijean31 Posts: 139 Member
    Thank you all for the input. This is the email I got from my doctor and this is the first time cholesterol has ever been an issue for me and I have anxiety about having a heart attack, so I really wanted to face the problem head-on:

Ten Natural Ways to Lower Your Cholesterol

1. Increase your exercise program to five or six days a week.
    2. Lose ten pounds, slowly. Modest weight loss can make a big difference in cholesterol.
    3. Get serious about getting your seven fruits and vegetables daily. Filling up on these makes a difference for both heart disease and cancer prevention.
    4. Replace beef products with fish and skinless poultry. Cow products- cheeses, ice cream, beef- are full of the bad fats that clog arteries. When you must have meat, 4 ounces is the serving size.
    5. Use the special cholesterol lowering spreads, “Take Control” or “Benecol”. These can drop cholesterol levels if you take 3 pats daily.
    6. Have fish three times a week – a sardine, salmon, or tuna sandwich is one easy source. Fish oil capsules two daily are good if you’re not a fish eater; the recommended amount of EPA and DHA combined is 1000 mg.
    7. Increase the amount of soy in your diet, such as soymilk, soy burgers (Boca Burgers = about 10 grams), tofu, or soy granola bars. 25 grams of soy protein daily is recommended.
    8. Add more soluble fiber. Seven grams of soluble fiber daily is the goal. Metamucil brand provides more than three grams per teaspoon. Food options include: oat bran and oat cereals, legumes (beans). High fiber cereals for breakfast can provide one-quarter of the optimal dose.
    9. Take a multivitamin with folic acid daily.
    10. Use monounsaturated fats. Use a handful of nuts as a heart-protecting snack for mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks. Canola and olive oil are good oils for salad dressings.

GUIDELINES FOR LOW-CHOLESTEROL, LOW-TRIGLYCERIDE DIETS

FOODS TO USE
    MEATS, FISH Choose lean meats (chicken, turkey, veal, and nonfatty cuts of beef with excess fat trimmed; one serving = 3 oz. of cooked meat). Also, fresh or frozen fish, canned fish packed in water, and shellfish (lobster, crabs, shrimp, oysters). Limit use to no more than one serving of one of these per week. Shellfish are high in cholesterol but low in saturated fat and should be used sparingly. Meats and fish should be broiled (pan or over) or baked on a rack.
    EGGS Egg substitutes and egg whites (use freely). Egg yolks (limit two per week).
    FRUITS Eat three servings of fresh fruit per day (1 serving = 1/2 cup). Be sure to have at least one citrus fruit daily. Frozen or canned fruit with no sugar or syrup added may be used.
    VEGETABLES Most vegetables are not limited (see reverse side). One dark-green (string beans, escarole) or one deep-yellow (squash) vegetable is recommended daily. Cauliflower, broccoli, and celery, as well as potato skins, are recommended for their fiber content. (Fiber is associated with cholesterol reduction.) It is preferable to steam vegetables, but they may be boiled, strained, or braised with polyunsaturated vegetable oil (see below).
    BEANS Dried peas or beans (1 serving = 1/2 cup) may be used as a bread substitute.
    NUTS Almonds, walnuts, and peanuts may be used sparingly (1 serving = 1 tablespoonful). Use pumpkin, sesame, or sunflower seeds.
    BREADS, GRAINS One roll or one slice of whole-grain or enriched bread may be used, or three soda crackers or four pieces of melba toast as a substitute. Spaghetti, rice, or noodles (1/2 cup) or 1/2 large ear of corn may be used as a bread substitute. In preparing these foods, do not use butter or shortening, use soft margarine. Also use egg and sugar substitutes. Choose high-fiber grains, such as oats and whole wheat.
    CEREALS Use 1/2 cup of hot cereal or 3/4 cup of cold cereal per day. Add a sugar substitute if desired, with 99% fat-free or skim milk.
    MILK PRODUCTS Always use 99% fat-free or skim milk, dairy products such as low-fat cheeses (farmer's, uncreamed diet cottage), low-fat yogurt, and powdered skim milk.
    FATS, OILS Use soft (not stick) margarine; vegetable oils that are high in polyunsaturated fats (such as safflower, sunflower, soybean, corn, and cottonseed). Always refrigerate meat drippings to harden the fat and remove it before preparing gravies.
    DESSERTS, SNACKS Limit to two servings per day; substitute each serving for a bread/cereal serving: ice milk, water sherbet (1/4 cup); unflavored gelatin or gelatin flavored with sugar substitute (1/3 cup); pudding prepared with skim milk (1/2 cup); egg white souffles; unbuttered popcorn (1 1/2 cups). Substitute carob for chocolate.
    BEVERAGES Fresh fruit juices (limit 4 oz. per day); black coffee, plain or herbal teas; soft drinks with sugar substitutes; club soda, preferably salt-free; cocoa made with skim milk or nonfat dried milk and water (sugar substitute added if desired); clear broth.
    Alcohol: limit two servings per day (see reverse side).
    MISCELLANEOUS You may use the following freely: vinegar, spices, herbs, nonfat bouillon, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, flavoring essence.

FOODS TO AVOID
    MEATS, FISH Marbled beef, pork, bacon, sausage, and other pork products; fatty fowl (duck, goose); skin and fat of turkey and chicken; processed meats; luncheon meats (salami, bologna); frankfurters and fast-food hamburgers (they're loaded with fat); organ meats (kidneys, liver); canned fish packed in oil.
    EGGS Limit egg yolks to two per week.
    FRUITS Coconuts (rich in saturated fats).
    VEGETABLES Avoid avocados. Starchy vegetables (potatoes, corn, lima beans, dried peas, beans) may be used only if substituting for a serving of bread or cereal. (Baked potato skin, however, is desirable for its fiber content.)
    BEANS Commercial baked beans with sugar and/or pork added.
    NUTS Avoid nuts. Limit peanuts and walnuts to one tablespoonful per day.
    BREADS, GRAINS Any baked goods with shortening and/or sugar. Commercial mixes with dried eggs and whole milk. Avoid sweet rolls, doughnuts, breakfast pastries (Danish), and sweetened packaged cereals (the added sugar converts readily to triglycerides).
    MILK PRODUCTS Whole milk and whole-milk packaged goods; cream; ice cream; whole-milk puddings, yogurt, or cheeses; nondairy cream substitutes.
    FATS, OILS Butter, lard, animal fats, bacon drippings, gravies, cream sauces, as well as palm and coconut oils. All these are high in saturated fats. Examine labels on "cholesterol-free" products for "hydrogenated fats". (These are oils that have been hardened into solids and in the process have become saturated.)
    DESSERTS, SNACKS Fried snack foods like potato chips; chocolate; candies in general; jams, jellies, syrups; whole-milk puddings; ice cream and milk sherbets; hydrogenated peanut butter.
    BEVERAGES Sugared fruit juices and soft drinks; cocoa made with whole milk and/or sugar. When using alcohol (1 oz. liquor, 5 oz. beer, or 2 1/2 oz. dry table wine per serving), one serving must be substituted for one bread or cereal serving (limit, two servings of alcohol per day).
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    This keeps coming back like zombies from the graveyard. Am I mistaken or hasn't dietary cholesterol been disproven as a cure for high bad cholesterol?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    andijean31 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the input. This is the email I got from my doctor and this is the first time cholesterol has ever been an issue for me and I have anxiety about having a heart attack, so I really wanted to face the problem head-on:

2. Lose ten pounds, slowly. Modest weight loss can make a big difference in cholesterol.
    3. Get serious about getting your seven fruits and vegetables daily. Filling up on these makes a difference for both heart disease and cancer prevention.
    4. Replace beef products with fish and skinless poultry. Cow products- cheeses, ice cream, beef- are full of the bad fats that clog arteries. When you must have meat, 4 ounces is the serving size.
    5. Use the special cholesterol lowering spreads, “Take Control” or “Benecol”. These can drop cholesterol levels if you take 3 pats daily.
    6. Have fish three times a week – a sardine, salmon, or tuna sandwich is one easy source. Fish oil capsules two daily are good if you’re not a fish eater; the recommended amount of EPA and DHA combined is 1000 mg.
    7. Increase the amount of soy in your diet, such as soymilk, soy burgers (Boca Burgers = about 10 grams), tofu, or soy granola bars. 25 grams of soy protein daily is recommended.
    8. Add more soluble fiber. Seven grams of soluble fiber daily is the goal. Metamucil brand provides more than three grams per teaspoon. Food options include: oat bran and oat cereals, legumes (beans). High fiber cereals for breakfast can provide one-quarter of the optimal dose.
    10. Use monounsaturated fats. Use a handful of nuts as a heart-protecting snack for mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks. Canola and olive oil are good oils for salad dressings.

FOODS TO USE
    MEATS, FISH Choose lean meats (chicken, turkey, veal, and nonfatty cuts of beef with excess fat trimmed; one serving = 3 oz. of cooked meat). Also, fresh or frozen fish, canned fish packed in water, and shellfish (lobster, crabs, shrimp, oysters). Limit use to no more than one serving of one of these per week. Shellfish are high in cholesterol but low in saturated fat and should be used sparingly. Meats and fish should be broiled (pan or over) or baked on a rack.
    EGGS Egg substitutes and egg whites (use freely). Egg yolks (limit two per week).
    FRUITS Eat three servings of fresh fruit per day (1 serving = 1/2 cup). Be sure to have at least one citrus fruit daily. Frozen or canned fruit with no sugar or syrup added may be used.
    VEGETABLES Most vegetables are not limited (see reverse side). One dark-green (string beans, escarole) or one deep-yellow (squash) vegetable is recommended daily. Cauliflower, broccoli, and celery, as well as potato skins, are recommended for their fiber content. (Fiber is associated with cholesterol reduction.) It is preferable to steam vegetables, but they may be boiled, strained, or braised with polyunsaturated vegetable oil (see below).
    BEANS Dried peas or beans (1 serving = 1/2 cup) may be used as a bread substitute.
    NUTS Almonds, walnuts, and peanuts may be used sparingly (1 serving = 1 tablespoonful). Use pumpkin, sesame, or sunflower seeds.
    BREADS, GRAINS One roll or one slice of whole-grain or enriched bread may be used, or three soda crackers or four pieces of melba toast as a substitute. Spaghetti, rice, or noodles (1/2 cup) or 1/2 large ear of corn may be used as a bread substitute. In preparing these foods, do not use butter or shortening, use soft margarine. Also use egg and sugar substitutes. Choose high-fiber grains, such as oats and whole wheat.
    CEREALS Use 1/2 cup of hot cereal or 3/4 cup of cold cereal per day. Add a sugar substitute if desired, with 99% fat-free or skim milk.
    MILK PRODUCTS Always use 99% fat-free or skim milk, dairy products such as low-fat cheeses (farmer's, uncreamed diet cottage), low-fat yogurt, and powdered skim milk.
    FATS, OILS Use soft (not stick) margarine; vegetable oils that are high in polyunsaturated fats (such as safflower, sunflower, soybean, corn, and cottonseed). Always refrigerate meat drippings to harden the fat and remove it before preparing gravies.
    DESSERTS, SNACKS Limit to two servings per day; substitute each serving for a bread/cereal serving: ice milk, water sherbet (1/4 cup); unflavored gelatin or gelatin flavored with sugar substitute (1/3 cup); pudding prepared with skim milk (1/2 cup); egg white souffles; unbuttered popcorn (1 1/2 cups). Substitute carob for chocolate.
    BEVERAGES Fresh fruit juices (limit 4 oz. per day); black coffee, plain or herbal teas; soft drinks with sugar substitutes; club soda, preferably salt-free; cocoa made with skim milk or nonfat dried milk and water (sugar substitute added if desired); clear broth.
    MISCELLANEOUS You may use the following freely: vinegar, spices, herbs, nonfat bouillon, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, flavoring essence.

FOODS TO AVOID
    MEATS, FISH Marbled beef, pork, bacon, sausage, and other pork products; fatty fowl (duck, goose); skin and fat of turkey and chicken; processed meats; luncheon meats (salami, bologna); frankfurters and fast-food hamburgers (they're loaded with fat); organ meats (kidneys, liver); canned fish packed in oil.
    VEGETABLES Avoid avocados. Starchy vegetables (potatoes, corn, lima beans, dried peas, beans) may be used only if substituting for a serving of bread or cereal. (Baked potato skin, however, is desirable for its fiber content.)
    BREADS, GRAINS Any baked goods with shortening and/or sugar. Commercial mixes with dried eggs and whole milk. Avoid sweet rolls, doughnuts, breakfast pastries (Danish), and sweetened packaged cereals (the added sugar converts readily to triglycerides).
    MILK PRODUCTS Whole milk and whole-milk packaged goods; cream; ice cream; whole-milk puddings, yogurt, or cheeses; nondairy cream substitutes.
    FATS, OILS Butter, lard, animal fats, bacon drippings, gravies, cream sauces, as well as palm and coconut oils. All these are high in saturated fats. Examine labels on "cholesterol-free" products for "hydrogenated fats". (These are oils that have been hardened into solids and in the process have become saturated.)
    DESSERTS, SNACKS Fried snack foods like potato chips; chocolate; candies in general; jams, jellies, syrups; whole-milk puddings; ice cream and milk sherbets; hydrogenated peanut butter.
    BEVERAGES Sugared fruit juices and soft drinks; cocoa made with whole milk and/or sugar. When using alcohol (1 oz. liquor, 5 oz. beer, or 2 1/2 oz. dry table wine per serving), one serving must be substituted for one bread or cereal serving (limit, two servings of alcohol per day).

Lots of this is debatable, but the parts that really got me were to avoid avocados (what!?), starchy vegetables (including beans!!), and nuts.

I'm interested (but suspicious of) the "special spreads" that lower your cholesterol.

There are spreads that contain plant sterols/stanols that have been tested to the point that they are allowed to advertise as lowering cholesterol. I don't think the expected difference is a lot, more in the "every little bit helps" range. I've seen Smart Balance and Benecol brands in the past.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Agree with more fiber (fruits, veggies, beans and grains) since fiber binds to cholesterol and is removed from the body via the digestive tract. Dietary cholesterol does not necessarily impart influence on your total cholesterol, however diets high in saturated fat (no matter if it is plant or animal) will drive up your cholesterol. Best to keep your sat fat as low as possible and fiber a minimum of 30g daily.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Here is my experience, but, of course, people are individuals.

I eat about the same now as before cutting calories. My sat fat is about half of the max that MFP lists. My fat is at about 25%, so not low (oils, nuts/seeds, fish, and avocados mostly). At my April appointment, when I was a little bit over normal BMI, my LDL was normal, my HDL was a healthy 70, and my triglycerides were only 46. My doctor is always impressed by my lipid profile. I am 54 and 5 years post menopause. I exercise, but nothing impressive, just walking and a little yoga/strength training.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Agree with more fiber. I had a health screening this morning at work, and while my total cholesterol was normal, the LDL was borderline high (just 8 points above). The nurse suggested more fiber to clean everything out, fatty fish, less red meat, losing weight among other things. I'm not worried since it was borderline and I've already been doing all this since January. Compared to my screening a year ago, where it was almost to High, I'm pleased that what I have been doing is working. I still have a few pounds to lose, so that should hopefully help.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2019
    andijean31 wrote: »

FOODS TO USE

FOODS TO AVOID

Lots of this is debatable, but the parts that really got me were to avoid avocados (what!?), starchy vegetables (including beans!!), and nuts.

I'm interested (but suspicious of) the "special spreads" that lower your cholesterol.

I agree. It always amazes me when I see replace "insert natural food" with eat more "processed foods" like margarine.

OP, one of the most effective ways to improve metabolic health is lose weight and exercise. Increasing fiber and Omega 3 fatty acid consumption is a great way of helping it. Replacing highly-refined processed oils (vegetable) with more natural oils low in Omega 6's (olive oil or avocado oil) may help improve things (think Mediterranean diet).

Whats funny, there is a good amount of studies showing benefits of eating things like avocados, walnuts, etc.. And recent evidence shows eggs are healthy.