Plant-Based Diet recipes and anyone's results

Options
I'm not new to cutting out meat products from my diet but I've always been on and off with it. Like I'll stay away from meat and dairy for a few weeks then I'll start eating them again in bulk, due to cravings (especially chocolate and/ or candy and doritos). However, I think this is due to me eating foods that I didn't truly like. So now, I'm here to see if anyone knows any good recipes that contain no oil, meat, eggs or dairy products. In addition, feel free to post your experiences and results from eating this kind of diet.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Why not just eat the foods you love, so you don't feel deprived. Stay in a calorie deficit and lose weight. Bam!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Why no oil? Seems like you would be missing healthy fats without oil, unless you are eating nuts/seeds, avocados, etc. I like raw, crunchy vegetables with hummus, but it has oil in it. Kale cooked with soy sauce and Sriracha is good. Sometimes I also add dehydrated vegetable mix to it. Sprinkle cooked vegetables with nutritional yeast to boost protein and b vitamins.
  • Marisela170
    Marisela170 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I really love cauliflower buffalo wings. I found hot for food's recipe through this video on YouTube.
    https://www.hotforfoodblog.com/recipes/2014/02/11/cauliflower-buffalo-wings/
  • GetZet
    GetZet Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have friends doing something similar, and while I'm not by any means as hardcore, I do look for things I can offer them when they visit. Oh She Glows is a good vegan blog to start out with. You can also search Pinterest for 'plant based whole food' recipes.

Off the top of my head, throwing kale leaves into the oven until papery thin and crispy, then either salting or adding a pinch of nutritional yeast, makes a great salty snack. No oil required. (I dry-pop popcorn and top it with garlic powder and nutritional yeast when I want more than a handful of salty crunch.)

Oven roasting just about any vegetable works well, too. You can fill a sheet pan with veggies cut to similar sizes, top with salt & pepper and run it into the oven at 400 degrees for anywhere from 10-15 minutes and have a tasty treat to serve over any whole grain you prefer.

Soups and stews work well as whole grain chip dip or grain topper, as well. I'm currently eating a butternut squash lentil stew:
    - cut a winter squash (acorn, butternut, pumpkin) in half and remove seeds. Place flat side down on foil covered pan and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until soft enough to peel rind off.
    - saute chopped onion, celery, carrot, parsnip or any combination thereof you happen to have.
    - Add lentils and water or stock in the measurements called for on the bag of lentils to cook properly. Follow lentil package cooking instructions.
    - Pull squash out of oven, peel rind off and add to simmering stew.
    - Once lentils are fully cooked, blend entire batch smooth. That's it. You can copy/paste this with any number of variations.
  • GetZet
    GetZet Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Also, freeze a banana. Once frozen, peel and place in a strong blender. Blend. Voila! Fresh banana ice cream.

There are any number of no-bake balls and bars you can make as protein pick-me-ups, too, without oils, fats or processed sugars.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Honeyacid wrote: »
    Why no oil? Seems like you would be missing healthy fats without oil, unless you are eating nuts/seeds, avocados, etc. I like raw, crunchy vegetables with hummus, but it has oil in it. Kale cooked with soy sauce and Sriracha is good. Sometimes I also add dehydrated vegetable mix to it. Sprinkle cooked vegetables with nutritional yeast to boost protein and b vitamins.

I'm trying to cut down on all fats. Especially those in oils, nuts and nut butters, because I noticed that I was eating them too much and too often.

Just be sure that you don’t go too low on fat. The body does need a minimum amount of fat, and some people take “low fat” to the extreme.

You don’t necessarily need to reduce your fat intake unless your doctor has ordered you to do so to treat a medical condition. Some people here find fat satiating and a higher fat diet helps them stay within their calorie goal.
  • lizzynose
    lizzynose Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There is a really good book called 'how not to die' and it is all plant based and oil free. If you google you can probably fond some of the receipes for free!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Check out Cookieandkate.com. Lots of good ideas and flavors. She uses dairy in some of her recipes but always provides dairy alternatives. As far as going cold turkey I would recommend to start slowly, introducing one new food type/recipe a week. Keeping familiar food in your diet, cutting out some of the junk and starting to expand your food horizons will likely improve the probability you will actually stick with it and make this a long term lifestyle change. There is a lot of change going on here - thinking about food differently, adapting to new tastes and textures, and learning to shop differently so be patient...
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Honeyacid wrote: »

I'm trying to cut down on all fats. Especially those in oils, nuts and nut butters, because I noticed that I was eating them too much and too often.

Be careful with this. I've been vegetarian for over a decade now, several years of that as a vegan. Plant based in general, but vegan in particular can have difficulty getting enough fat in order to uptake all necessary nutrients. I've seen it happen to people, so you'll need to be very thoughtful about what you're eating to make sure you're getting enough of all essential things. My diary is open if you want to look around for non-meat options (though I'm not vegan any longer).
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    dmkoenig wrote: »
    Check out Cookieandkate.com. Lots of good ideas and flavors. She uses dairy in some of her recipes but always provides dairy alternatives. As far as going cold turkey I would recommend to start slowly, introducing one new food type/recipe a week. Keeping familiar food in your diet, cutting out some of the junk and starting to expand your food horizons will likely improve the probability you will actually stick with it and make this a long term lifestyle change. There is a lot of change going on here - thinking about food differently, adapting to new tastes and textures, and learning to shop differently so be patient...

Seconding Cookie and Kate. Everything she makes looks incredible.