Why is intermittent fasting beneficial?

So I started intermittent fasting (18/6) yesterday but some trainers are saying that is the same thing as eating throughout the day. That everything is about calorie deficiency. Should I keep doing it or not? I just think is easier for me to count macros while intermittent fasting.

Replies

• djohnson6796
    djohnson6796 Posts: 1 Member
    Watch show
    Fasting
    On amazon prime
  • rumbaimom
    rumbaimom Posts: 46 Member
    My doctor recommended IF to me because not only do I need to loose weight but I need to “reset” my insulin levels. My A1c is normal but I still had high insulin levels in my bloodwork. I’ve been doing IF for about 6 weeks. Follow up lab work next month will tell me if it has helped. Otherwise, it’s just a bit of help in restricting your calorie intake which is, after all, the MOST, important part.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    If eating within a restricted window of time works for you, then do it. If it doesnt, don't.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    IMHO it averages out to be a calorie deficit. So it is no different than eating small amounts throughout the day at a deficit. In the end it all works out to be a deficit.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    IMHO it averages out to be a calorie deficit. So it is no different than eating small amounts throughout the day at a deficit. In the end it all works out to be a deficit.

Intermittent fasting absolutely does not guarantee a calorie deficit.

Yeah that is true cuz you can consistently eat waaaayyy over your calories when you do eat.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    So I have read 2 books recently that touch on IF, and various forms of fasting, including the Mimicing Fasting Diet. Both are written by PHDs who study longevity and aging at the cellular level. Heavy biochemistry based science. I find it all fascinating but my takeaway is that it’s less about losing weight and more about what it does to your body, blood chemistry, glucose, etc. I’m not an expert just enjoy learning about the science behind it. The books are:
    Life Span by Dr. David Sinclair
    The Longevity Diet by Dr. Valter Longo
  • pamhardwick8899
    pamhardwick8899 Posts: 16 Member
    If a person cuts out one meal per day is that considered IF?
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    I do IF without even doing IF, every day from 7 pm to 7 am. That being said, if it helps you stay within calorie deficit, do it. Personally, I am miserable if I don't eat something after this 12 hour window.