Cals vs Carbs

Options
KristaMac88
KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
edited October 2019 in Food and Nutrition
So about 6 months ago I somehow got head strong and decided I was going to do keto, stuck with it for about 2 months and lost 15lbs and felt great. I then decided to have a cheat night with drinks and food with hubby and never got back on after that. Ive gained about 8lbs back. I KNOW its all about calorie deficit in the long run, and keto was just a way of cutting certain things out to make that happen..but ever since I started really looking at carbs, I cant go back to tracking normally and not cringing over high amount of carbs and in my head needing to stay under even 100 for the whole day. Today I didnt get a chance to pack food to bring to work so had a nurtigrain bar in the morning... and mozza sticks at lunch. and when I logged them into carb manager, the mozza sticks (unless boxed and deep fried from a restaurant are very dif) but were less carbs than the kellogs little nutrigrain bar! I honestly dont even know what im asking advice for... I guess just people to give me their opinions on which they count (carbs vs just overall cals) and if they have found a happy medium to eat relatively healthy yet somehow keep a nightly snack in their day to not feel deprived and quit so easy. OR if you can have that snack without going overboard or if you have to cut it all out cold turkey? I just need advice to get my head back in the game before I gain all my weight back and the mirror and feeling gross clearly isnt enough..

Replies

• KristaMac88
    Options
    I never have a problem getting fats in. I tent to go over each day. But yes, protein is a big problem area. I also am inconsistent with flipping between here and using carb manager. I feel good when I dont eat alot of carbs and i guess in my head because that was the only way I lost weight before its the onnnlyyyy thing thats going to work for me..
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    I like to hear people say they dont cut out all yummy food and have lost still. I guess i just need to keep forcing myself to log stuff in, even if its the main bulk of items and then once i get on a roll or see how over im going each day get strick with weighing and measuring every little thing/sauces.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    That makes sense. And I know fruit and vegetables have some carbs to, I dont cut them all out. The only vegetable I really cut out besides the odd time is potatoes. Im talking bad carbs. Im a junk food lovveeerrrr and have no self control around candy or chocolate. I start craving come mid afternoon, unless work is busy enough to take my mind off it, then to get out of this desk i go for a walk,,,and end up getting that junk food. Then after supper we usually have chips or candy out during our evening movie. If i had the self control to do good all day and limit a portion out to fit in my day it prob wouldnt be so bad. But i cant. Which is why im gaining weight back and feeling so bloated and crappy. :(
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    I guess im going to have to ban it from the house and go through withdrawals and kick the biggest problem first. Then work on actually counting cals and portion sizes and cutting stuff out from there. I find ive been off the rails for so long that jumping right back in I last half a day and get frustrated trying to count and measure everything then go over with stuff i didnt realize was that much and just quit. I admire people who just decide one day they are going to do it, and stick with it until their goal is reached. No matter how prego and bloated I look, or gross i feel, or mad my clothes dont fit, as soon as temptation is around - i give in. then feel bad. Swear thats it, starting again the next day and sticking to it...might make it through a day or two. Then give in again..for an entire weekend..lol
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    The only time I count carbs is when I'm doing a very long distance ride and tryng to keep close to 90g of carbs an hour.

It's seriously messed up to think carbs (in all their amazingly different forms) are somehow unhealthy. The healthiest populations in the world (blue zones) tend to have very high carb diets - what they don't have is overeating and under-moving.

Lacking self control around certain foods (whether carbs, fat or protein or combinations of all three) can be addressed without demonising a whole macro. It's the self control that IMHO you should work on rather than skirt round the real issue.

Maybe reading the Chimp Paradox and doing the mind training exerrcises might help? Self improvement rather than avoidance?

Ive never heard of that but will look into it!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I eat the foods I love and focus on staying in a calorie deficit. I researched keto and because it restricted carbs so much, I knew it wouldn't be sustainable for me. I love my bread, fruit and pasta too much.

If you feel deprived, chances are you'll crash and burn. I make sure I'm satisfied with my foods and am happy with my results so far.
  • KristaMac88
    Options
    Very true! Thank you all!
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I guess im going to have to ban it from the house and go through withdrawals and kick the biggest problem first. Then work on actually counting cals and portion sizes and cutting stuff out from there. I find ive been off the rails for so long that jumping right back in I last half a day and get frustrated trying to count and measure everything then go over with stuff i didnt realize was that much and just quit. I admire people who just decide one day they are going to do it, and stick with it until their goal is reached. No matter how prego and bloated I look, or gross i feel, or mad my clothes dont fit, as soon as temptation is around - i give in. then feel bad. Swear thats it, starting again the next day and sticking to it...might make it through a day or two. Then give in again..for an entire weekend..lol

Find something healthier to substitute for the candy and other stuff you object to.

For me, the two most successful sweet substitutes are Sweet Red/Orange/Yellow Peppers and Dried Dates.

The best candy bar alternative is a dried date stuffed with cashew butter.

At least that way you are getting a more natural unrefined form of sugar that your body can use more effectively.

weighing and logging food is the real trick to what worked for me. I know that 6 dates = 140 calories, and if I add 2 tbs of cashew butter that snack just jumped to 310 calories. Which is so close to a meal's worth of calories that I have to log it so I don't overeat for the day.

good luck to you!