how many of you use....

Options
2»

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I don't log these, though I do do most of them every day.... I have my activity level set to lightly active to take this kind of day to day stuff into account, and I log exercise I do with the intention of exercising.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If cleaning is prolonged and causing me to sweat, I will log it. Cause I'm a lazy cow and it's likely to actually make me sore the next day.

Don't judge me. :noway:
  • nickinackynoo
    Options
    Thanks ladies.

I will admit that i have been & will be continuing to use "walking at 3 or 3.5mph" as i do power on when i'm walking to work, plus its lots of up & down.

I didn't think cooking & food prep would count as i cook every day.

Thank you
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Just read the walking dog one. Depends on how long and how fast really. A quick stroll down the town isn't worth logging IMHO, but an hours pavement pounding at 3.5 mph is.

We walk our dogs 60-120 minutes every day, walking 3-4 mph. I certainly do log that as exercise!

I usually do a proper workout on top of that, most days, as well. And sometimes factor a run into the dog walk. Depends how life is on a particular day.
  • Munched
    Munched Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Can only speak for myself but being too lenient on myself got me into the chubby position I now find myself in!! In no way should anything other than workouts be included. Pushing strollers might be hard work but is a normal activity of daily living as is house work. Let's not kid ourselves, let's be kind to ourselves and lead the healthy lives we deserve.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    If cleaning is prolonged and causing me to sweat, I will log it. Cause I'm a lazy cow and it's likely to actually make me sore the next day.

Are you saying you log every activity that cause you to sweat? You honor, I introduce exhibit one. Here is a "video" of Odus sweating and I do not see a log in her exercise diary. I think she should be sentenced to daily spankings...lol.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I only use cleaning if it's something that requires more effort than day-to-day stuff. I will log mowing the yard though.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    No way...nothing that is a 'normal' activity, because they've always been a part of my day, and doesn't count as burning extra calories. I only count when I do a real workout, even though I go up and down a flight of stairs probably 6-8 times a day at work. I don't think most of those things burn enough calories to count them.

You would be quite surprised! picking up around the house no... but every week I do a HUGE cleaning... breaking a sweat and really cleaning house! I log that!

But if you do it every week, isn't this something your body is used to? I probably break a sweat when I'm vacuuming everything and washing floors too, but just don't think its a real workout.

But..if it works for you, then log away. I'm just saying, I don't consider it to be much of one (and I'd never eat extra calories to compensate for these things). My profile is set to 'sedentary' because I work a desk job, but I would never count the stairs or the long walk from the parking lot, since I do it 5 days a week. IMO, if you never got off the couch to clean before you came on this site, then maybe it would count, but if its something you were doing while you gained weight in the first place, then its probably not helping you now.

I agree if you take your dog (or kids) out for a good long walk, and you're getting your heart rate up and keeping it there for a while, that should be counted....but I draw the line at counting pushing a cart around the grocery store, making the bed, and things like that.
  • PecanTanDiva
    Options
    I will log these in if I do something out of the ordinary or really heavy... and wear my HRM

Deep clean the carpets in my house (4 Bedrooms, living and dining area)

Re-arrange my living (sectional and 67 inch TV with stand), dining (cleaning the walls) & bedrooms (1 king, 2 Full, 1 Queen size beds)

Scrub the floors on my hands and knees (kitchen, hallways, 2 1/2 bathrooms & foyer)

Mow the lawn (Hubby usually does this)

I say knock yourself out if you're losing weight and you want to add this, then do it.
  • PecanTanDiva
    Options
    I add sex too. I had my HRM on just because Hubby and I wanted to see how many calories can be burned doing that :blushing:
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i have my setting at lightly active. im assuming all of these are already included in my daily activity.
  • dreamangel18105
    dreamangel18105 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I only add things that I don't do on a regular basis. Rearranging my furniture? Sure. Vacuuming the living room? Not a chance. If you do it regularly, your body is used to it, so I think that would be part of your lifestyle. Similarly, I wouldn't count my day at the office as two hours of walking (since that's about what I do going back and forth between offices). I just count those steps as part of my daily life. I count "exercise" as exercise. I log my TurboFire/P90X/etc and anything that is a non-normal activity.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Are you saying you log every activity that cause you to sweat? You honor, I introduce exhibit one. Here is a "video" of Odus sweating and I do not see a log in her exercise diary. I think she should be sentenced to daily spankings...lol.

Ooooh... Punishment Accepted! *bends over*
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how to log that.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count rudimentary cleaning, but I do consider heavy cleaning to be a bonus activity boost because it's not something I do all that often.

This past Saturday, I did a complete fridge cleanout. I took out *all* of the food and removed the three food bins and 3 shelves for cleaning. Since they're too big for the kitchen sink, I had to take them to my bathroom and clean them in my tub, which was several back and forth trips, sometimes having to hurdle my cats. I washed and dried each one thoroughly and had to clean the interior of the refrigerator as well before I put everything back in. Oh, and did I mention that I had to pull the fridge out from its cubbyhole in order to get the shelves out?

I also cleaned my dining room, which included polishing the table and moving the table and chairs to vacuum. I was sweating like crazy and was *starving* when I was done. All of this in roughly 90 minutes. I had to have burned at least as many calories as I do on my walking commute.

It's the same when I do a floor to ceiling cleaning of my bathroom once a month. I remove everything, scrub every surface and mop the floor, and then I put everything back. Again with the sweating and the hunger. I don't consider it a substitute for working out, but I know that I burn more than a miniscule amount of calories.