Running in the winter

Options
meerkat70
meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
It's still just about summer here, but you can already sense winter starting to draw in..... We're just getting going on our programme, so I wondered what you do about running outdoors in the winter? What are your favourite running clothes in particular, and what do you do about running shoes?

Replies

• nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Excellent question. I am looking forward to the replies as well.
  • kimmermcb
    kimmermcb Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's still just about summer here, but you can already sense winter starting to draw in..... We're just getting going on our programme, so I wondered what you do about running outdoors in the winter? What are your favourite running clothes in particular, and what do you do about running shoes?
    From Michigan here. Anything from Under Armour's winter line is amazing!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm in Wisconsin and getting nervous about this too. I've read great things about Under Armour's winter lines. I'd love to hear from long time winter runners (REAL winter people :P).

I do NOT want to be stuck on my treadmill all winter long!
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I hate running on the treadmill, and winter running was a factor in disrupting my running training last time around - so I want to get it right, if I can this time!

I found the Under Armour stuff at millets online, if anyone's reading this and looking in the uk... :-)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i love under armor, championelite (with thumbholes) and skirtsports leggings.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Under Armor is great. And, I tend to run in the parks in the winter rather than in my neighbourhood... that way there is less traffic and I can run on the roads rather than the sidewalks. The sidewalks can get slippery when people walking have packed down the snow, but the edges of the park roads tend to be cleared, even if the park trails aren't.
  • zooflute
    zooflute Posts: 50
    Options
    I got a pair Yak Trax to put on my sneakers. They're made of stretchy rubber with metal coils on the bottom that act like spikes. They're great on icy surfaces. They fit over both my sneakers and my boots, so they worked for jogging and walking the dog.

Just be careful on your way out the door...they're super slippery on regular hard floors.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I use my regular running shoes, smart wool peds, under armour leggings and mock turtle neck. Occasionally something wind resistant. Maybe a mask depending how cold
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Usually in winter I wear a pair of compression tights, and a compression top. Then over top of that I wear a normal tech shirt, and running shorts. Finally i'll throw a jacket over top of that. Then a beanie on my head to keep the dome warm. I prefer to be cold when running in winter. I do however avoid running on days when there is ice because I tore a ligament in my ankle awhile back - can't risk tearing it again.
  • MissMichellemybelle
    MissMichellemybelle Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump. I have an under armor winter shirt. Its a turtleneck long sleeve. And I love it. I wear it for all kinds of winter sports (skiing, ice skating, soccer (still winter in March here in Chicago!).

Looking forward to replies too!

Is it dangerous/unhealthy to run outside with the cold air? Bad for respiratory system/stuffy noses?
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have base layers that wick away. Your legs will heat up so I am really concerned on keeping my upper body warm and my head.
    I live in Pittsburgh so when I run in the cold here, I have base layer of wick away stay dry shirt and tights. Usually put a pullover/jacket on top of the shirt. I will add another layer if it is really cold. Hat and gloves. I would love to buy some smartwool socks to run in this winter. Usually I don't need more than that.
    I was going to get this: http://www.yaktrax.com/pro to continue to be able to run trails.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Layering is KEY!! And probably mutiple pairs of running shoes for those 'wet' days... For me, a decent pair of gloves on my hands--idk what it is, but if my fingers are freezing, I can't seem to focus on anything else during my run! Ugh!!
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hate running in the winter (and our winters aren't even real), but the more you do it, the easier it gets. I usually wear a couple of layers and end up taking off the outer layer which is usually a light windbreaker or zippered sweatsuit top. I like to wear mittens and something to keep my ears warm when its really cold. I always get a lot warmer than I would ever imagine possible. But keep in mind, I am in the deep south, and our winters are pretty mild.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Minnesota here - I love a good winter run!

LAYERS - tried and true. I make sure the layer closest to my body is moisture wick fabric, I have a fair amount of items from Adidas. Then, depending on temp, the overlayers range from t-shirts to sweat-shirts and several combinations. This includes pants - fitted running tights with lined pants over or regular warm ups over - again temp dependant.

Shoes - there are several well maintained winter trails and I usually run in trail shoes anyway. But I usually run in older shoes in the winter and I do two pairs of socks- the older shoes are a bit more worn and handle the double socks better. I pick new shoes in the Spring - makes for a nice treat.

Last year I ran a 5k in a full on blizzard - it was fun but no where near a time I want to report! Doing the same race this year, hopefully without blizzard conditions. The race is well staffed and everyone had a fun time, it felt more like cross country skiing by the end - just shuffling along in my snow covered shoes.

Make sure you cover your ears and wear thin gloves inside mittens or gloves!

I am making the assumption that winter really means winter conditions, like Zero degrees (or below) and snow and ice.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Last winter I didn't run at all and it was my first year running. I'm hoping to at least run once on my lunch hour per week and a long day one of the weekend days. I've heard the key is to not over dress. The times I tried to run last year I learned a good hat and gloves were musts. Wear things that could be shed off and carried with me easily. Good luck - lets post in spring to see how we kept up.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I live in the countryside - lots of mud, and generally pretty wet in the winter. My asics are not waterproof at all, and I suspect that's going to be a big issue for me and my partner. So shoe suggestions would be very welcome. :-)
  • bassettpig
    bassettpig Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have base layers that wick away. Your legs will heat up so I am really concerned on keeping my upper body warm and my head.
    I live in Pittsburgh so when I run in the cold here, I have base layer of wick away stay dry shirt and tights. Usually put a pullover/jacket on top of the shirt. I will add another layer if it is really cold. Hat and gloves. I would love to buy some smartwool socks to run in this winter. Usually I don't need more than that.
    I was going to get this: http://www.yaktrax.com/pro to continue to be able to run trails.

Yes, layers are key. You will find you don't need to wear as much as you think--if you are comfortable when you go out the door, you are on your way to being sweat-soaked and overheated by the end of the first mile. You should be chilly when you start out--your body heat will build as you go. A useful tip also is to make sure your route goes INTO the wind first, so when you head for home, wetter and tireder, you have the wind at your back and are not so chilled.

For those of you worried about your feet, try some wool socks. Even if you get wet, you'll still be warm enough. Try Running Warehouse http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ for great deals and free shipping.

You are in for a treat--nothing like an early AM run after an evening snowfall, no tracks but yours....simply beautiful! Don't fear the winter; it has its own charm. Besides, you can feel like a real hardass when you come back in from a run in the cold!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I didn't start really running outside until the weather got nice in the spring, but my first few races were on fairly cold days, in the 20s and 30s. Long pants, and a moisture wicking shirt with a hoodie over it was plenty.

My bigger concern is how poorly people take care of their sidewalks around here. :angry:
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I'll do 5+ mile runs outside as long as it is 30 degrees or warmer and not "raw" or crazy windy out. It's actually very peaceful!!. I still do shorter runs on the TM though...by the time you really warm up, it's time to go back :-) I used to look at people running outside in the cold like they were crazy, and now I am one of them.

For tops...layers are your friend. I find I'm good with a snug long sleeve performance tee and maybe something lightweight over that.
    Anything heavier than that, I wind up taking off a few miles into my run. I got a sleveless running vest last year that I just love: keeps my core toasty! I invested in a couple of pairs of winter weight long pants, but I am turning into one of those people that wears shorts as along as it's above 40. You should be a little chilly starting out, but not cold....after you have covered your first mile or so, it will feel about 20 degrees warmer than it actually is anyway.

Running gloves are a must and I also have a couple of heavy "sweater knit" headbands for my ears, or if it's really cold, I'll borrow one of hubby's knit caps...but those tend to get too hot for me.

As for shoes, I don't have anything special, because I live in an area that gets snow a few times each year, but not a lot, and I just work around it. A lot of people like "yak trax," but I have not yet tried them out.
  • Ally1104
    Ally1104 Posts: 18
    Options
    I have been worried about that as well- I don't enjoy running on a treadmill and I don't want my running to stop because of this. I live in the Midwest, and our winters can get pretty damn cold! Luckily for me, many of the area highschools have indoor tracks that they allow the public to use, free of charge or sometimes for a small fee. As far as clothes, I am curious to hear everyone else's suggestions!