Compound lifts as a beginner?

Options
About a month ago I recommitted to weight lifting with the intent on getting strong as hell. I've put in over 10 years of near daily cardio and inconsistently using machines and dumbbells. I am also not that significantly overweight (f, 5'3", 148 lbs) I just have a fairly high body fat % (32%), so I have some fat to cut. But I've decided enough is enough and I don't want to spend any more of my life preoccupied with shrinking myself and becoming waif-like, and instead get some gains, but more importantly strength.

I got a couple of sessions with a trainer at my gym and have been following StrongLifts 5×5 for about three weeks. I've lifted before (inconsistently) but am fairly new at the barbell and compound lifts. However, my trainer thinks I need to go back to machines and dumbbells to build strength first. I know she's worried about me getting injured, but I've been really enjoying the compound lifts and -- dreaming big -- would love to be a real powerlifter one day >:) . I've been doing some dumbbell accessory lifts but I really want to stick with the big lifts too.

Is she right? Is it advisable to start with compound lifts as a relative beginner? I've just found no joy from machines, and the barbell exercises have felt really empowering because I don't see many other women doing them at my gym.

Replies

• spraytanninghelens
    spraytanninghelens Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    So long as you can lift with the correct form then I would say compound lifts over any other exercise is the best way forward
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    So long as you can lift with the correct form then I would say compound lifts over any other exercise is the best way forward

Exactly why I got the trainer in the first place. I wanted help with my form so I can improve on the compound weights, even if I'm just pushing the bar.

She knows how to do those lifts but I don't think that is her area of expertise. I think once I've saved up for another trainer I will prioritize looking for someone who is a little more knowledgeable on that front.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    If your trainer is recommending machines over free weights, fire them.

The trainer did recommend freeweights. ;)
    sarko15 wrote: »
    I wanted help with my form so I can improve on the compound weights, even if I'm just pushing the bar.

I think you mean barbell lifts. "Compound lift" just means 2 or more joints move, as opposed to 1. Anyway, we can't tell if you're ready to handle an Olympic barbell yet (some people aren't). A barbell certainly isn't required to get strong & fit.. but if you want to get into powerlifting, then try to find a trainer who has competed in powerlifting. :+1:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    You can achieve hypertrophy or strength with free weights or machines if the template is intelligently programmed. It's not difficult at all with an experienced trainer.

The only difference is that sometimes machines are governed by how much intensity.

So one would have to get creative, whereas free weights one would just continue to add weight when appropriate to do so to the barbell.

If your goal is powerlifting, then barbells lifts would be more specific to your training since that is what is needed to compete. You need to practice the skill of the barbell lifts as well get stronger doing them specifically.

I recommend finding a coach experienced in powerlifting, not a "trainer" for best results.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    If your trainer is recommending machines over free weights, fire them.

The trainer did recommend freeweights. ;)
    sarko15 wrote: »
    I wanted help with my form so I can improve on the compound weights, even if I'm just pushing the bar.

I think you mean barbell lifts. "Compound lift" just means 2 or more joints move, as opposed to 1. Anyway, we can't tell if you're ready to handle an Olympic barbell yet (some people aren't). A barbell certainly isn't required to get strong & fit.. but if you want to get into powerlifting, then try to find a trainer who has competed in powerlifting. :+1:

The trainer is recommending that OP stop stronglifts to do machines first.

If the goal is to build overall strength, this would be a poor plan unless the OP legitimately has trouble handling the bar safely. I didn't get the impression that this is an issue.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts are always better that isolated muscle lifts for general physical development.

The 4 basic compound lifts in all beginner (as well as intermediate and advanced programs) are SQTs, DLs, BPs and OHPs.

INT & ADV programs will have more iso work to build on the strength already developed in earlier programs.

This doesn't mean you can't or won't gain anything from doing iso wk as a beginner but the advantages and necessity of doing so is less established, at least based on your prior strength training as a beginner
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    There’s a place for machines and free weights/ barbells.

But, If you wanna be a power lifter it doesn’t make sense for trainer to suggest machines. You need to train like a power lifter and while they do use machines, the main focus is squat deadlift and bench.

I wouldn’t necessarily fire the trainer, but have a discussion with them around their thinking and reasoning. If they genuinely believe that barbells are more dangerous than machines then they are wrong. There’s research to back that up. I’ve read most lifting injuries are due to poor load management rather than the lifts themselves being inherently dangerous.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You said in your 1st post you want to get "Strong as hell' The Strong Lifts 5X5 is a good way to start. You can start with just the bar if you need to , but after 3 weeks you should be past that.
    I would sat the only reason you would need the machines is if you can't squat or press the bar. If you can do that and add weight as you progress.
    I have started weak, out of shape, inexperianced beginers & young kids on free weights & they did just fine