Hunting

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    steeliebob wrote: »
    For those who hit the disagree button for me, don't read my diary. Lots of moose sausage in there lately 😱😱 😁

Should I DM you my mailing address? lol
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    For those who hit the disagree button for me, don't read my diary. Lots of moose sausage in there lately 😱😱 😁

Wish I had lots to share, but someone did with me. Did not harvest one this year, but friends did. Sent me south for winter (summer in Alaska) with a little stash of both summer and polish varieties.

One of the local elk herds routinely visit my yard, will see if maybe get lucky with a legal bull there. I did not put in for the permit for a special any animal hunt that takes place late... Bios concerned with herds getting too dense and looking to thin some to help prevent possible disease spread.

So who is this friend and how can I become a better friend to him/her than you are?
  • steeliebob
    steeliebob Posts: 55 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

So who is this friend and how can I become a better friend to him/her than you are?

LOL, gotta help 😁 Moose harvest in Alaska is often a very social event once an animal is harvested. Family and/or friends often assist in post-harvest processing as it can be a daunting task for someone on their own. Traditionally, those that help are always offered some finished product as a thank you. As a fishing guide, I am still very busy in moose season, and seldom get to hunt myself... But often help help folks I know with theirs when I get off the water and usually always have a little stash to enjoy. Terrific meat if not too big / rutty as with most game.

• Carlos_421

Wish I had lots to share, but someone did with me. Did not harvest one this year, but friends did. Sent me south for winter (summer in Alaska) with a little stash of both summer and polish varieties. x77fcldgtsmc.jpg

One of the local elk herds routinely visit my yard, will see if maybe get lucky with a legal bull there. I did not put in for the permit for a special any animal hunt that takes place late... Bios concerned with herds getting too dense and looking to thin some to help prevent possible disease spread.

Very nice!!
    Also a great example of how hunting helps preserve the health of game animals.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

LOL, gotta help 😁 Moose harvest in Alaska is often a very social event once an animal is harvested. Family and/or friends often assist in post-harvest processing as it can be a daunting task for someone on their own. Traditionally, those that help are always offered some finished product as a thank you. As a fishing guide, I am still very busy in moose season, and seldom get to hunt myself... But often help help folks I know with theirs when I get off the water and usually always have a little stash to enjoy. Terrific meat if not too big / rutty as with most game.

I may have to rethink this plan. Not that I would mind helping in the harvest even though I am inexperienced but because fish makes up so much of my diet I should be trying to friend you.

I plan to visit Alaska in the next 5 years. There is just a few other places ahead of it at the moment.
  • InspectorRed
    InspectorRed Posts: 757 Member
    adampeart wrote: »
    adampeart wrote: »
    There's a massive difference between trophy hunting (cruel/evil) and hunting for food.

How is shooting a large trophy buck and eating him any more cruel/evil than shooting a doe and eating her?
    What about mounting his antlers makes his death worse?
    Trophy hunting, hunting for food and responsible wildlife management are not mutually exclusive.

Even hunting for animals not typically hunted for food can be (and generally is) part of responsible wildlife management to ensure healthy populations.

When I said trophy hunting I meant the people who shoot lions etc just for a picture. As long as you eat what you shoot it is all good with me.

Even the safari hunts that offend so many first world people are beneficial, not only for the locals who depend on them for food and livelihood, but to the overall health and preservation of the animal populations.

These hunts are limited in number and scope (which makes them expensive) as well as highly calculated with the benefit of the animal population in mind. When an orthodontist hunts a lion, he doesn't get to go out and kill whatever lion he wants. He is guided to a specific lion that wildlife management experts have decided should be removed, whether due to bad genetics, age, predatory behavior or some other issue.

Managing the size of herds reduces the spread of disease. Removing specific individuals enhances the genetic health of the population.
    This is true for lions, giraffes, elephants, wildebeest, zebras, etc..
    The meat from these hunts also goes to the local village to feed the locals.

I don't think any of us would throw stones at a local who kills a rogue male lion for predating on his goat herds and endangering his children.
    I also doubt we would protest if he kills a giraffe to feed his village.

That said...

A local hunts what we consider a zoo animal, nobody bats an eye.
    A rich guy pays the local to take him along and everyone loses their minds.

Very well put!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    It's been 30 years since I went hunting. I moved from Montana and miss the hunting there. One elk could easily feed my family for a year.
  • Carlos_421
    It's been 30 years since I went hunting. I moved from Montana and miss the hunting there. One elk could easily feed my family for a year.

My brother in law and sister in law lived in Montana for several years and he still talks about how he misses the hunting there.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I wonder if the people handing out "disagrees" do the same for suggestions about eating chicken and beef?
    How is quickly and humanely killing a pheasant or deer for food any different than taking livestock to a slaughterhouse?

I have no ethical issues with quickly and humanely killing for food via hunting, especially when there are no longer natural predators. I've seen the deer population out of control in parts of Massachusetts and upstate New York. (Of course, humans are responsible for destroying a working ecosystem by eliminating the predators.)

I do have ethical issues with how animals are conventionally raised and slaughtered.
  • eagle275
    eagle275 Posts: 4 Member
    SLL1803 wrote: »
    I wonder if the people handing out "disagrees" do the same for suggestions about eating chicken and beef?
    How is quickly and humanely killing a pheasant or deer for food any different than taking livestock to a slaughterhouse?

I don't condone the killing of animals for food or entertainment.

What do you eat then eh