Starting c25k...again :) updates as I go.

A little backstory on me. I am 34, a mom of 3 (youngest is 2) and have been married almost 14 years. I am currently 203.4 lbs at 5'6" and have anxiety about being social. I don't post a whole lot so this is an experiment for me. I have a 3.1 mile trek around my house that I am going to be using, and although I know that I will not finish the distance in the app's timeframe I will still finish the total distance every time.

I usually lose my initial motivation and stop whatever I am doing to keep myself healthy and accountable to myself. If you add in some laziness, slight depression, and a couple pregnancies my weight fluctuates 30 lbs or so before I give up (usually from illness or injury) and gain it back because I like to comfort eat. The lowest weight I have achieved as an adult is 182 lbs.

I gained inspiration from another post started about a year or so ago, the person was very funny and honest about their experience including the good, the bad, and the injured. They were doing the same exact thing and I'll include a link at the end if I can find it ( Accidentally unstarred it when I closed out of his post). I thought posting my updates for the mfp community to see is a great way to push my personal boundaries and hold myself accountable to my own goals.

So without further ado here we go!

Week 1 Day 1
Total distance/time: 3.1 miles/54 minutes
App distance/time: 3.1 miles/30 minutes

I decide enough is enough and I need to get my tush on the move. I find what I can and get my gear on (2 sports bras...you ladies know, 2L hydration bag that clasps across my chest, earbuds, phone, and running shoes). As it is 72 degrees (in October...in NW Pennsylvania!)The warm up was an uneventful 5 minutes. I hear the cue to start running and I think it is a breeze, however I also know that I am not a teenager anymore and need to slow down as I do not want to injure myself. That's when I realized that, crap, I left my chapstick at home and then, double crap, I left my inhaler at home.

Luckily the whole 30 minutes of the apps run time today was easy as far as breathing (minus the chapped lips.. ow) and energy go. What I didn't expect was the time it would take me to finish the last part of the distance. I didn't want to keep running and wear my body out as I still had about 1.4 miles left. So I walked at a brisk pace to keep my heart rate up and then an even more brisk pace when the rain started to come down. With water running down my hat (yay I remembered to wear it!) I walked as quickly as I could and finished the last mile (going uphill) at a pretty similar pace as my jogging. By the time I got home I was completely soaked but happy that I finished my goal of the day.

If you lasted through all of that I appreciate you more than you can possibly know.
I know as the days get shorter and colder it is going to suck being outside running. That is exactly why I am posting this, I need to live outside of my personal comforts to grow as a human being, be confident in myself (omg what a new concept to me), and to show my children that anything is possible with enough hard work.

See all of you after my next run on Tuesday!

Replies

• moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Get it girl!! C25K is fun - to know how far you have come from one week to the next! It will be neat to look back on your notes as you go!

(I am like you with the gear... especially as it gets cold and dark... hat, gloves, light, mace, compression sleeves if needed, neon outer layer, etc. I totally forgot my inhaler for the 5k this weekend! Thankfully the weather was on my side so i made it OK). I use a cheat light in the dark, hand free and rechargeable.
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    edited October 2019
    Crap forgot the mace too lol, also a cheat light is a great idea, I think my husband has a headlamp somewhere around the house.
  • Lindsay375
    Lindsay375 Posts: 49 Member
    So random point...I’d really suggest measuring yourself and spending a bit of money on a properly fitted sports bra. A well fitting bra is one of the best things I did for myself. I use reddit ABTF (a bra that fits) calculator. Also saves laundry that you only need to wash one!
  • Toria718
    Definitely a good investment :) hopefully can get a awesome new one soon. Finances currently don't allow me to get one, so for the time being a 2 bra situation or bra + work out shirt with a bra built in. I love the less amount of laundry part of your idea the most lol
  • moonangel12
    Whoops! Typo on my post above: cheat light = chest light (evidently an auto correct special because I had to correct that more than once!). Flashlight in the front and a red triangle on my back!
  • Toria718
    Ooh gotcha, I was confused for a while. Lol I should have guessed that but had to run to soccer evaluations with my son. Chest makes much more sense lol. I'll need to look into that, great suggestion:D
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Amazing! This is great!

I did c25k in the spring/summer and it really is a great program!! It took me about 48 minutes in the beginning and slowly but surely I got it down to a 30ish time frame! You can do it too! Just keep at it!!
  • Toria718
    Thank you for the encouragement :D feel the water retention today but can not wait for tomorrow!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Great job and keep it up! :smile:
  • lukeruss
    lukeruss Posts: 34 Member
    Great work. I just finished the program and am moving on to the 10k. I have really fallen in love with running doing this
  • Toria718
    Thanks for the support! Another run today and can not wait to update :smiley:
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    I have been inspired by the C25K program as well.
    One of my buddies who runs all the time gave me a tip that changed my whole outlook on running and made it accessible to me for the first time.
    It was about my feet; if I can hear my feet hit the ground I am working too hard.
    What this meant in practical application is that my feet barely leave the ground and my stride length is quite short.
    The benefit I am getting from this is pain free knees and lower back.

I have been jogging on the treadmill at the gym and setting my own walk/jog cycle timing. ATM, I can sustain 2 minute of jogging at 4.1 mph.

I am chasing after the 15 minute mile target right now.

Oh - and good running shoes make a HUGE difference. I went with Brooks brand in their “cushioned “ line.

Good fitness to us all!
  • Toria718
    Week 2 Day 1 done
    Total distance/time: 3.1 miles/46:18
    App distance/time: 2.07 miles/31 minutes

Spent my weekend at my camper so I was ready to run tonight. I find that once I get in a groove of running I get cranky if I feel I missed a day. I slept funny on my neck and it is a bit sore so that messed with my running more than I thought it would. It hurt to hold my head high and I kept looking at the ground. I think it affected my breathing a bit.

This was the start of the 90 second run with 2 minutes of walking. With my luck all of the running was in the uphill sections of my route and the zombies from zombies run! decided to show up ( if you haven't tried it, the app is awesome and really helps to throw in the higher speed running to push yourself) not sure if I'm gonna get in trouble for mentioning it but it is fun.

Anyways I had to slow down because my heart rate was 173 for the 90 seconds and I was getting burned out halfway through my route. I walked a bit ( 15 seconds ) during the last running section as I was out of steam...does that count as a fail of a day? If so I'll do another one of these days to make it up.

All in all it was a great run and I took time off my total again. Another update coming on Tuesday!
  • moonangel12
    I had one of those luck of the draw runs during C25K where all of them hit uphill sections, even on the return route! No idea how that happened :D

I wouldn’t consider it a fail - you showed up AND you finished, but I know there were a couple weeks that I stretched out into two because my body just wasn’t ready to progress... it’s all good!
  • Toria718
    Week 2 Day 2 done
    Total distance/time: 3.11 miles/47:29
    App distance/time: 2.03 miles/31:00

Omg I didn't want to run tonight. Friend came in from out of town unexpectedly and I needed to scramble to clean my house. After visiting and a late dinner I was ready for bed.

As my time tonight shows I went just a tad slower than normal because I am pooped. That being said as I had most of my running clothes on anyways and I didn't want to mess with my days I forced my shoes and safety reflective gear on and headed out the door.

Apparently my headphones decided not to charge and cut out on my halfway through the distance. I ended up turning the volume up all the way and listened as best I could to the cues. With the zombies run app I had 4 hoards running after me so I had quite an uptick in speed ...maybe that's why I have a longer time...my walking slowed down a bit more after sprinting.

Anyways another late run coming on Thursday. Thanks for reading!
  • trwww
    trwww Posts: 14 Member
    love this!
  • Toria718
    Thank you! @trwww, I am doing my best to stay dedicated as I want accomplish my goal of finishing for once lol