Beginner 55+ runner's personal achievements (share yours!)

Options
In 2016, I decided to do C25K to add a basic running capability to my cycling and swimming. I told my friend: I just want to be able to run 2 x 8 minute miles. He said: well, "that shouldn't be too hard."

Well, yes it was!

I only finally did it this past week on a treadmill after more than three years of running! I'm hoping to repeat it outside soon, working it up to 3.1 x 8mm for a 24:48 5k.

(I'm still easily beaten by other 55+ runners, male and female, in 5k and sprint triathlon. There are some very inspiring athletes around!)

I've just finished the Hal Higdon training for a Half Marathon and will race on Sunday. Goal is to stay under 10mm. Stretch goal is to beat 9:30mm. Wish me luck!

Share your stories!

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    congrats to you! not a runner- just a walker and slow- jogger- but yay you
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The half went well. I easily beat 10mm, with 9:46mm. Most of the miles were at 9:30 with great consistency. But you actually run further than the course distance due to dodging around other people and taking the corners wider than whoever measured the course. Anyway, my watch tells me that I was at 9:30 for all of the flat miles and a little slower on the grades. All in all, I'm happy with my first HM!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,470 Member
    Options
    I run. It’s not fast, it’s not pretty, but the last time I ran when I was forced to for the President’s Physical Fitness Test in 1974 in seventh grade, and I whined, whimpered and *kitten* every step of the way.

I just started running about three months ago I can do 5k on a good day. I do it for me, I do it for health. I do it because I enjoy it (for part of the way, anyway).
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I'm on a similar journey, down about 95 lbs and now doing triathlons at age 56. It feels good to be fast, eh? I train with athletes that are in their 30s and 40s, and while they have lower body fat and greater cardio-pulmonary efficiency, I'm more stubborn. And when you're pushing through that pain cave in the last mile of an event, that matters.

I say, keep going, you can do it. Watch out though. When you set your sights to actually win your age group in a triathlon there is a big difference between 1st and 3rd place. The guys that are winning these events seem to fall into two categories: 1) they have been doing triathlons a long time, have their technique down and are deadly serious, and 2) they are less experienced but retired early and basically train like pros. Both of these types of opponents can be tough to beat. You CAN beat them, but you gotta get your stuff dialed.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    awesome on your first 1/2 marathon and you also do sprint TRI. age 54 myself and completed chicago marathon last week and Ironman last year. Yes you will find lot of people in their 50's doing these events. Keep up the good training. Biggest advice I can tell you is to learn how to eat during long runs and during your TRI's
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!