Taste changes

Options
saresimsr36
saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
edited October 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Anyone quit smoking and then find that nothing tastes good anymore? Like your tastes buds change do much anything that appealed to you before doesnt anymore. Seriously I cant find anything I like any more.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I found the opposite as true. Everything tastes and smells amazing to me now. I am glad I quit. I am glad you quit too!
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I quit quite a few years ago and I’ve not been aware of a significant difference either way.

I don’t know how recently you’ve quit (but good for you, btw) but it may improve as time goes on. They do say that smokers lose their sense of smell and taste but I suspect that’s an individual thing. I honestly don’t feel it hindered either for me - which is not to say it’s not worth quitting!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Tastebuds, much like everything else in the body, takes time to adjust to new stimuli. If you've recently quit, then it will take time for your sense of smell and taste to readjust.

On the other hand, there is also a psychological component to associating smoking with daily routine; i.e. eating, coffee, driving, poop, sex, etc. If you have a strong association with food and smoking, then it's possible that the enjoyability connected between them has diminished, but it doesn't change the fact that the same foods taste any differently, nor should it be a reason to go back to smoking (for general health reasons), but that is your decision to make.
  • saresimsr36
    saresimsr36 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 months ago, with no plans regardless of ever going back! I'm just frustrated that I eat eith no satisfaction anymore. I mean I could stand to lose a lot of lbs, so its not like I'm wasting away. I'm just frustrated of not having a satisfying meal.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Psychological satisfaction and physiological satiety from food are different, no doubt. You could take advantage of the situation by adopting modified food choices for fat loss that keep you full, even if you don't feel satisfaction, and just carry on until you regain some satisfaction after not having tasty foods for a while. Not that fat loss food choices have to be bland, but given what people generally eat by comparison, they don't carry the same taste.