Sudden food cravings for the last two weeks. Can't stop myself from eating. What do I do?

Options
I've been trying to loose 9kg for the last 5 years but every time I made progress I yoyoed right back up to my let's call it "unhappy" weight. I'm 153cm short and was never overweight but unhappy with weighing 59kg. I started really hating my body and wanted to lose weight and after many different tries I finally figured out what worked for me in April 2019.

I started counting macros and limiting my calorie intake by meal prepping healthy lunches and always planning the night before what I was gonna eat the next day. This worked perfectly well for 6 months now and in combination with a lot of exercising I lost 8kg. So I'm down to losing the last kg but for the last two weeks I've been craving food (mostly carbs) like crazy and can't stop myself from eating ALL. THE. TIME. I'm not even hungry I just wanna eat.

Do you have any idea what could be the cause of those sudden cravings?
I stopped taking my antidepressant about 3 weeks ago. Could that have something to do with it?
Or does my body think it needs to fuel up for winter?

I'm helpless and would be so happy to find an explanation for my situation or maybe you have some tips and tricks on how to get these cravings under control?

Thank you so much!

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking water or chewing gum? If you're just needing the sensation of eating without the nutrition, gum or mints or water should help.

Alternatively, take a multivitamin. I get serious cravings when I'm deficient in something or other. My chocolate cravings, for example, are probably related to magnesium because soy sauce gets rid of the cravings completely.
  • lisaisamazing33
    lisaisamazing33 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Gum doesn't work unfortunately but I'll try the multivitamins. Thank you so much!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I think inadequate protein has been behind some of my carb cravings. You need .8g protein per kg of body weight per day. Have you been getting that?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    If you were on anti-depressants you may want to read this:

https://bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/carbohydrate-intake-and-depression-qa.html/
  • lisaisamazing33
    Options
    My weight times 0.8 would be 40g of protein. I usually eat 60g-80g of protein per day though. So that shouldn't be the problem. Unless I eat too much protein?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    my guess would be the antidepressant could be the factor. Have you tried drinking coffee? That helps me big time in suppressing my appetite..that and water.. also..use logic.. tell yourself that the hunger hormone grehlin is trying to trick you into overeating and just ignore it.. don't give in.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My weight times 0.8 would be 40g of protein. I usually eat 60g-80g of protein per day though. So that shouldn't be the problem. Unless I eat too much protein?

It sounds like your protein intake is fine, just a bad guess on my part. I also don't think you are eating too much protein. The 0.8g guideline is a minimum and goes up if you're active. Per the article linked below you should be eating more protein if you're active and up to 2.0g per kg is safe long term, and even up to 3.5g per kg for athletes.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322825.php
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    i have been going thru the same, maybe the cold weather is triggering mine. I am having to set boundaries with myself and saying No, drinking hot tea after dinner time.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Did you wean off your antidepressant or stop suddenly? I've done both and the sudden stop takes about 2-3 months to get my equilibrium back. Be patient with yourself. That article linked above had a few good suggestions.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,586 Member
    Options
    I'd think your anti-depressant could have an effect. I know mine actually makes me hungrier being on it so I suppose the reverse could be true. As far as the actual carb cravings I've found the longer I go without eating sugary or simple carbs the less I have cravings for them. When I do eat them it takes about a week to feel normal again. I've been eating protein and veggies at every meal, protein keeps me full and I can eat a lot of vegetables for low calories. My favorite snack right now is frozen blueberries, even if I eat too much I can still fit them in my day.
  • lisaisamazing33
    Options

It sounds like your protein intake is fine, just a bad guess on my part. I also don't think you are eating too much protein. The 0.8g guideline is a minimum and goes up if you're active. Per the article linked below you should be eating more protein if you're active and up to 2.0g per kg is safe long term, and even up to 3.5g per kg for athletes.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322825.php

Okay thanks for the tip though! I exercise about 1hour a day with one rest day a week. So I guess it should be fine. People have been suggesting s lack of vitamins though so I'll check that out
  • lisaisamazing33
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    i have been going thru the same, maybe the cold weather is triggering mine. I am having to set boundaries with myself and saying No, drinking hot tea after dinner time.

Maybe it really is the cold weather. My roommate has been having similar problems thouh she's not trying to lose weight
  • lisaisamazing33
    Options
    boldknee wrote: »
    Did you wean off your antidepressant or stop suddenly? I've done both and the sudden stop takes about 2-3 months to get my equilibrium back. Be patient with yourself. That article linked above had a few good suggestions.

I weaned them off slowly. I hope it will wear off soon. I only took them for half a year.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    It's always something emotional with me. I've been out of control with cravings the last week or so, went to therapy last night and we figured out what it was. Something I had completely pushed out of my mind - or so I thought. Dig deep and do the work, you won't regret it!
  • capamerica88
    capamerica88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try some L-glutamine under the tounge when you get a craving. Should help with the cravings. It’s tasteless.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    reading about cravings with Brenda Lomeli, she says cravings is not an emergency (I thought it was) just something you want like when you are shopping for something expensive, she says it is like window shopping. Crave how you will look when you dont eat that!