First Half Marathon

Options
6dbarz2blptz.png
I completed my first ever half marathon this past Saturday. It was amazing.

Replies

• steeliebob
    steeliebob Posts: 55 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Congrats.... I did my first at the end of September. Five years ago I would have never even guessed that I would attempt, much less finish one. The feeling of success is unbelievable.... Glad you got to feel that as well 👏👏👏👏
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congrats on your finish! Great pace, looks like all your hard work training paid off! I run too, if you'd like a new running friend, please add me. :)
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Well done, great time for your first.
    Watch out it gets addictive.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Me too on Sunday! Didn't know I had it in me. (I barely did.)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I am training for a half right now so this is so motivating! Can I ask what training plan you used? And did you run 13 before race day? I’m following Hal Higdon novice 1 and it has us only doing 10 miles max before race week. I’m kind of nervous about not getting to 13 at least once before race day. You should be so very proud of yourself!!!
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I am training for a half right now so this is so motivating! Can I ask what training plan you used? And did you run 13 before race day? I’m following Hal Higdon novice 1 and it has us only doing 10 miles max before race week. I’m kind of nervous about not getting to 13 at least once before race day. You should be so very proud of yourself!!!

I would get to at least 12. I didnt train all the way up a couple of times, and really wish I did.

I suck majorly at following plans because there's always something that just doesn't work for me. My training regimen when I was running half marathons was 2-3 5Ks during the week (recovery, speed, or fartlek), with a day of cross training, and one long run with a day of rest on each side. And then of course tapering a full two weeks before the race. This obv is not the way everyone likes to do it, but it worked for me.

If you have the Nike running app, there are some really good guided runs there as well, including interviews with some pros. Kind of cool when Usain Bolt cheers you on to the finish line 😊
  • naynerrn
    naynerrn Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Thanks. I took a couple of training plans and came up with my own to fit my schedule. I did 12 miles about a month before my half.
    Remember, to listen to your body. If something doesn’t feel right then stop. Just enjoy the day. When is your half?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • auburngirl06
    auburngirl06 Posts: 153 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

Mine is November 16th! My long run is 10 this weekend so I have time to get up to 13 before the race. It’s addicting isn’t it? I’ve run casually for exercise for many years but just recently decided to try out some long distance and I can’t even believe I am doing it! It’s almost like now I want to see how far I can go 😉 Congrats to you again!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Way to go a half marathon is not something one just wakes up and does without some serious training and dedication.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

I only ever go up to 10.5miles training for a half, sometimes not even that. Half before last my PT only had me go up to 8miles. But for 6months of the year I'm running a race every couple weeks, so I'm pretty much in a training plan for 10months. (I get 2 months off now yay)
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

If you just want to finish, you can absolutely finish on the longest run being 10 miles. I forget what he says, but something about the adrenaline and excitement of race day will help get you through the last 5K. I have a dozen or more (I've lost count) under my belt and have 1 or two "A" races for the year where I try to PR. For those, I try to get up to at least 12, if not 13-14 miles. But, I know I tend to fall apart the last 5K, so getting a few quality runs past 10 miles helps me at least mentally.

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Way to go a half marathon is not something one just wakes up and does without some serious training and dedication.

Oh poo! There goes my plan out the window!

Congratulations @naynerrn and @Jthanmyfitnesspal on great runs and that really was a great time.

I'm with you @auburngirl06 with my plan maxing at 9 miles though my pace is jogging pace and even then my longer runs drop off by a minute extra per mile on any runs over 10k. If your race is Nov 16th you haven't got much time for a 13 miler as it is recommended to taper off for the two weeks prior. Enjoy it!
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    awesome job on finishing your first 13.1 race, now you will get the running bug. Keep getting the medals and seeing how you place. You can do a 26.2 next.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have used Hal program for a couple of 26.2. You will be good with 11 miles. His programs also tell you to rest during last 2 weeks of training and cut down miles. For a first timer it is hard to understand but less miles and resting your legs will pay off on race day. Read the chapters on food.

good luck and enjoy the run