Surprise skills

Options

Replies

• TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    My surprise skill is that I get smarter and better looking the more that you drink.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I started my cake decorating a couple of months ago. I had 2 b-day cakes and I was determined to show my family what I can do. I have been taking classes and although I learned alot, I'm really really loving the novelty-custom style, instead of the flowers and borders type of cake.

So I worked my booty off and I even impressed myself. I am so proud of myself. I made 2 pretty cool cakes and I know that if I keep practicing, I will only get better. :happy:

ALL of my family was impressed. They gave me so much encouragment and compliments. For my dad's cake, he didn't even want to cut it because it was too cool.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I brew beer (for 10 years now) and compete in brewing competitions.
    I can taste any beer and tell you the style per BJCP guidelines.
    I BBQ and compete in those competitions.
    I also do some photography as another side hobby.
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    I do a ton of canning and I cook almost everything from scratch.....pasta, pies, bread, etc.... Alot of that is a lost art and kind of old fashioned but I love it :)
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan that can carve a turkey where not one shred of meat is left on the carcass - in less than a dozen knife cuts.
    That's pretty cool. I admire that. I don't know if I could do that. I can grill meat no problem. Carving it is another story.

Even when I was eating meat, I was always on the fence. I hated anything with bones in - even fried chicken, I had to pull the meat off first. I would get easily freaked out by bones, tendons, etc. A few years ago, we were at my wife's mom's house for Thanksgiving. Mother-in-law asked me to carve the turkey. Well, I could carve it no problem, OR eat it no problem, but not both.

I knew that if I carved it, I wouldn't be able to eat any. Luckily, her boyfriend (mother-in-law's, not my wife's) showed up and did the carving. I felt about as manly then as I do now typing the story... ;)

As for what I can do that might surprise people... I can juggle and can get my knee down riding a motorcycle on the racetrack. Oh! I can hand sew.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I started my cake decorating a couple of months ago. I had 2 b-day cakes and I was determined to show my family what I can do. I have been taking classes and although I learned alot, I'm really really loving the novelty-custom style, instead of the flowers and borders type of cake.

So I worked my booty off and I even impressed myself. I am so proud of myself. I made 2 pretty cool cakes and I know that if I keep practicing, I will only get better. :happy:

ALL of my family was impressed. They gave me so much encouragment and compliments. For my dad's cake, he didn't even want to cut it because it was too cool.

Yay for you! I have a friend with zero cooking and baking skills who has been learning on her own to decorate cakes over the last couple of years. She only does it for friends & family birthdays but she puts a lot of thought into the perfect theme for the recipient and executing it. Her nieces & nephews get more excited about the special cake she will make with each event.

I learned how to do fondant figures for my SIL's baby shower this spring to make sure they were gluten-free. They turned out super cute but man what a lot of work.
  • FORKDOWN
    FORKDOWN Posts: 1,754
    Options
    I can fart and clear a room.

:ohwell:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    My surprise skill is that I get smarter and better looking the more that you drink.

:laugh:

Epic skill!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I can origami hearts and rings from paper money....Just give me a bill and I'll show you :bigsmile:
  • polo_princess
    Options

Id love to see some pics, i used to be really into cake making!!
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    -I am really good at calming people down when they are angry or upset... idk why, but it works out in my benefit
    -I got mad skillz in Call of Duty
    -I can write poetry
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Well if you insist. :tongue:

This 1 was buzz light year for a 1st b-day. I didn't get a pic of the cake all set up. The top layer is the "moon" but didn't come out as round as I wanted it. :ohwell: I worked on this damn cake for over 30 hours total!!!! Bottom layer was 14 inch double layer. I was sleep deprived and towards the end I got super lazy and pissy hence the messy border around the bottom.

zachary-1.jpg

This 1 was for my dad. He hated hated hated the movie Battle LA even though he loves alien movies. He always teases me for taking him to go see and says it was crap because it was "too much bullets". (he has an accent and doesn't say too many bullets). LOVED making this one! All the army men are plastic but I made Mr. Alien with fondant and tylose.

daddys-1-1.jpg
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

Well if you insist. :tongue:

This 1 was buzz light year for a 1st b-day. I didn't get a pic of the cake all set up. The top layer is the "moon" but didn't come out as round as I wanted it. :ohwell: I worked on this damn cake for over 30 hours total!!!! Bottom layer was 14 inch double layer. I was sleep deprived and towards the end I got super lazy and pissy hence the messy border around the bottom.

zachary-1.jpg

This 1 was for my dad. He hated hated hated the movie Battle LA even though he loves alien movies. He always teases me for taking him to go see and says it was crap because it was "too much bullets". (he has an accent and doesn't say too many bullets). LOVED making this one! All the army men are plastic but I made Mr. Alien with fondant and tylose.

daddys-1-1.jpg

NICE!
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I can throw a football really far, and not just for a girl!

I am a pretty damn good card player, especially at hold 'em and spades.

I salvage furniture and other items from thrift shops and tag sales and repurpose and refinish them and sell them. I pulled a desk out of someones dump pile, stripped and stained it, bought new hardware for it and sold it for 350.00!!
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have a photographic memory
    I also have unbelievably sensitive hearing, which makes me an excellent eavesdropper.
    I'm really mechanically inclined, I like to take things apart and put them back together.
    I'm obsessed with cars, my knowledge of cars and engines shocks most men I meet. I'm also an excellent driver ;)

I think I've just found my soulmate!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Learning new skills is something that gives me a lot of pleasure. Next one, out of necessity, will be plastering.

Just off the top of my head, I can drive a horse and carriage, do basic electrical work and plumbing, fix pretty much anything on a car (old ones anyway) except gearboxes, rock climb, juggle, ride / drive pretty much everything from a deuce and a half to a motorbike to a steam engine to a half track, make a redneck blush, speak three languages fairly well and another two extremely badly, design and maintain gardens including pruning striking cuttings and grafting, haggle prices down, fix bridges, proofread books, make pretty much any type of apparel from any period including corsetry but not including shoes, silversmithing, bricklaying, knitting, the ability to make myself understood in a country where I don't speak a single word of the language, and I can launder clothes in such a way that they don't need ironing.

The last one is the one I'm REALLY proud of. :D
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    i can pinch people with my toes...does that count? Also can pick stuff up with my feet. lol I cleaned my whole room with my foot once when I was 11. lol
  • alucard75
    alucard75 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i can blow bubbles off my tongue...and tie a cherry stem with it....I'm fairly good at using my tongue :)
  • livinghcglacey
    Options
    I also grow my own vegetable garden and can what i grow. i make my chlidren clothes, purses, blankets, curtains...etc. i love to sew, cook, and crochet. i make almost every meal we eat from scratch.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    you said PG, I'm out.... kidding. I can do (at least) 100 regular push-ups (in 5 sets of 20 reps, that is) and at least 500 (20 sets of 25 reps) crunches. Did both last night, in fact. :bigsmile:

You are my hero. I'm currently doing the 100 pushup challenge and the 200 situp (crunches) challenge..on week 4 of both. I can NOT wait to complete them and have a gun show!