Feeling discouraged.

Options
I am 50 pounds down, from 344 to 295, and my clothing size hasn't changed a bit. I can't see any difference whatsoever, and I'm starting to think that people who do are just saying so because they know I'm trying and they're being nice. I'm eating 1,200 - 1,700 calories a day, walking 3 miles a day and going to a personal trainer 3 times a week and can barely move afterwards. I knew this would be hard, but I'm making literally no progress.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    If you had bloodwork done, I'll bet your doctor would be doing cartwheels in the hallway. Changes are happening, even if you can't see them. Congratulations on your loss! 💙
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Keep going! You've lost heaps and you're not that far away from going down a size. But you need to keep at it. The distance between clothing sizes is larger when you are heavier. They get closer together as you drop in weight. Once you go down one size the next size down won't be far behind.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    Dont give up you are doing well, I have not lost weight for a while but I have noticed my legs are getting firmer, it takes time to see a change but you can do it.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't notice it, your heart, lungs, liver, and joints are all doing happy dances!

When my husband lost from 300 to 190 lbs, almost all of the size changes occurred over the last 50 lbs (he went from a 44 waist to a 36).

Also, ask your personal trainer to dial back. You should be able to move mostly pain free the next day. It's counterproductive to risk injury.

Hugs and good wishes and congrats on your amazing accomplishment!
  • Chris_J99
    Chris_J99 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Keep going! You can do this. 50lbs is amazing work 😁. Your body will catch up. I bet your internal organs are super pleased with your progress 🙌🎉
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Keep going! Even (especially) when you don't feel like it.

You are making progress! It's your head that says you aren't. I sometimes have the same discouragement as you and that's when I need to get out of my own head and start thinking positive thoughts instead of negative ones.

50 pounds is a big deal and as the others have said your internal organs are thanking you.

I also like what the person who said about going to the store and picking up a 50 pound bag and lugging it around the store.
    Or pick up a 50 pound dumbell and carry it around the gym.
    You"ll find out in a hurry how much that is. And that is no longer on your body.

Congrats on the 50 pound loss! Keep going!
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    50lbs is a fantastic weight loss though I do totally understand what you're saying. I started at 325 and am currently at 288 and I don't think I can see any difference in me either. The only people who say they can are my husband and daughter. I think that's because they're the only ones who know I'm trying to diet. Literally nobody else has noticed, which can be quite soul destroying.

All I'd say is that you know the numbers, you know the weight is coming off and if you're anything like me you'll be able to feel the difference in yourself. I find it's silly things that I notice, like it's easier to get up from the sofa or when I had to climb 4 flights of stairs the other day it didn't leave me gasping for breath. Those things are huge motivators for me and nice to know when nobody else sees a change.

Keep going, you've made a massive change already, well past that all important 10% that the medical types talk about. You've got this and you'll soon find people start to notice. Well done.
  • keytracker51
    keytracker51 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm certain given the weight loss of 50 pounds there is a difference. I think what you are experiencing is your brain denying the weight loss.

I lost 220 pounds at one point and didn't see much of a change until I had lost over 100 pounds so I started noticing other changes. How about in your car, do you have more room between you and the steering wheel, or do you find that when you sit in a booth at a restaurant you now have more room? It's those little things that add up to big losses. Your brain can't deny these type of instances. Eventually these little positive improvements lead to bigger achievements and the brain can't ignore those as you'll notice clothing not"looking the same...sloppier fitting". There is as much need to exercise you brain as there is a need to exercise your body as you go thru major weight loss

The pictures idea helps tremendously but look for those small subtle changes and continually remind yourself of what you can now do, or can now wear, etc.. You are making great progress! Noticing the small changes helps you to self motivate and stay on track and they will lead to bigger changes that not even a stubborn brain can deny.