Eating protein instead of carbs

Options
Hey I'm just curious when you crave carbs or sugary foods, do any of you replace it with protein foods like chicken or eggs? I'm trying to stay away from carbs since I'm on an high protein low carb diet. But is this the healthy way to deal with cravings?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I substitute chicharrones for chips with 🥑
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I handle it in a few ways. Often if I want something sweet, I will either have a quest protein bar (high protein, low net carb) or Ill make a protein milkshake (almond milk, whey, xantham gum, ice and occasionally peanut butter). I will also make things like muffins or cinnamon rolls that are keto friendly.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, while I'd usually have something like a clementine (or some other fruit) if craving sweetness, I also find that something very different (and usually salty) can work as well, like a pickle or salted radishes or a little cheese.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It depends - I make sure I’ve eaten enough protein and fat, and then I try to work out what it is I’m craving. If it’s sweets, I might have dark chocolate or cinnamon coffee with foamed milk. Crispy - salted radishes. Creamy - Greek yogurt with berries. But sometimes when your blood sugar is low, such as after a workout, nothing but carbs will fix a craving for carbs.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Nowadays, "cravings" feel like times where my blood sugar is on the low side. I have never measured my blood glucose levels, it could be just in my head, but that's how it feels. A banana or other fruit solves the problem for me. So OP, if your cravings are anything like mine, protein might prevent those cravings, but wouldn't address it in the moment.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    If I don’t get my minimum of protein today, I will be ravenous tomorrow. If I don’t get my protein for breakfast, I will want anything and everything from about 5 pm on. Since I know I’m that sensitive, I try to make all my meals and most snacks contain a substantial amount of protein. It’s so much easier to stay on track if I do.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I don't have cravings anymore. My diet is diverse enough that my body, and my taste buds, seem to be satisfied.

I consider a craving to be something like "oh, I'm really in the mood for salmon for dinner." Or "I really want a salad." Perhaps looking forward to lamb at Easter dinner after a meatless Lent. It's not bothersome, and I wouldn't want not to have the occasional strong taste for something.

That's what I consider a craving, too. I'm already eating everything I craved pre-mfp. ☺
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The definition of cravings is to have a "powerful" desire for something. In this case, we are talking and writing about food. It is not a "want" for salad, salmon or anything else; it's a strong and a "must" desire to eat something. At least that is how I interpret the word craving.

I have never been a person to have cravings or a strong desire for a particular food, except around TOM time (many, many moons ago). I do have "wants" or "I would love to eat" for a particular food but It is a thought and a wish that I can disregard at any time. Can we say the same about cravings, is it something psychological that we use for satisfaction or is it really related to the balance of macros in our diet?

Boy, I am very philosophical :| today...

@neeneileen I do find that if my protein and fats are not balanced during the day, I am more hungry and I tend to graze or snack more. However, and because I don't have a sweet tooth, I will reach for a piece of cheese or some nuts, or fruit like grapes. Take a look at your diary and see if you can identify the reason for those cravings based on what you ate so far, and you may be able to twinkle your diet accordingly.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    neeneileen wrote: »
    Hey I'm just curious when you crave carbs or sugary foods, do any of you replace it with protein foods like chicken or eggs? I'm trying to stay away from carbs since I'm on an high protein low carb diet. But is this the healthy way to deal with cravings?

IMO, the answer is always going to be personal and idiosyncratic. Experimentation is a good strategy.

Unlike you, I'm not trying to stay low carb. I try to get sound nutrition on the majority of days (enough protein, with a goal on the high-average side; adequate fats, emphasizing MUFA/PUFA and O-3s when possible; 5+, or better 10+ daily serving of veggies and fruit). Since I'm vegetarian (for 45 years now), that involves eating carbs, usually around 200g daily in maintenance. (It was more like 150g while losing, but I honestly don't care: Protein, fats, veggies/fruits matter to me; carbs/sugar don't.)

It's rare for me to crave foods in the "oh must have!!!" urgent and unstoppable sense that often seems to be described in posts here. I've mostly figured out how to eat so that I don't get super crave-y on a routine basis. Getting a solid breakfast (or lunch if I've eaten lightly before an AM workout), enough protein throughout the day, plus volume at at least one meal (usually veggies, usually dinner) is my happy formula. (I don't expect those specifics to work for anyone else, but they work for me.)

Every once in a while, I'll want something I can't routinely fit in my daily maintenance calories (battered fried fresh mushrooms, good coconut cream pie, whatever). Since it's a reasonably rare thing, I usually eat it and don't worry about it, or eat it and short my nutrition that day. NBD. (This is one of the reasons I calorie bank, i.e., eat a little under goal most of the time, to indulge occasionally.)

Personally, I have to watch out for IDGAF attitudes after alcohol consumption: Sometimes I just want all the yummy tastes, usually in an alternating sensory-specific way (something salty, then something sweet). :lol: In those scenarios, pickles or sauerkraut, then some fruit or something, until I get sleepy, is a good strategy if I can talk myself into it.

YMMV, your path will be different, and all that jazz. ;)

Best wishes!
  • lemurcat2
    edited October 2019
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't have cravings anymore. My diet is diverse enough that my body, and my taste buds, seem to be satisfied.

I consider a craving to be something like "oh, I'm really in the mood for salmon for dinner." Or "I really want a salad." Perhaps looking forward to lamb at Easter dinner after a meatless Lent. It's not bothersome, and I wouldn't want not to have the occasional strong taste for something.

That's what I consider a craving, too. I'm already eating everything I craved pre-mfp. ☺

I typically eat something if I want it too, but don't consider that "not having cravings." I've often really wanted a salad and then made one, and I'd call that satisfying a craving (not "not having cravings"). That's why I wonder if we are working from different ideas.

Some thread made me think of clementines and when I was at the grocery store today I saw some and was like "want!" and bought them. I haven't actually eaten any yet, but I expect to desire them and eat them over the next few days, and I'd call that a craving.

Pot roast came up yesterday and I was thinking about that (and wanting it, i.e., kind of craving it) today, in part because I was thinking about how my ingredients on hand would work with it, so I made preparations (my meat was frozen) and then decided to do it tomorrow and have leftovers today. Usually when I really want something I can plan to have it on a future day and that works.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I was at the shops today and had a 'craving' for the asparagus that was on special. I gave in. I love asparagus roasted with a little nutmeg for added flavour. I threw in roasted zucchini, cauliflower and pumpkin also but was always going to have that.
    I do wonder why, when using the term craving many automatically think of foods that are void of nutritional quality.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I consider something a "craving" if I have to put on pants and go to the store to get it, because it's not already in my house.

Or if it's not normally considered food.

I don't actually *like* chocolate. If I suddenly NEED to go to the store and buy a candy bar, I'm having a craving. Usually a magnesium supplement solves the issue and I don't have to weird myself out by eating a candy bar while thinking, "This is GROSS, but man does it hit the spot." O_O

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I eat what I crave. Never understood the sense in denying yourself what you want.

If I feel like pasta then a steak's just not gonna cut it and chances are I'll end up wanting (and potentially eating) the carbby food I'm looking for as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,899 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    The definition of cravings is to have a "powerful" desire for something. In this case, we are talking and writing about food. It is not a "want" for salad, salmon or anything else; it's a strong and a "must" desire to eat something. At least that is how I interpret the word craving.

I have never been a person to have cravings or a strong desire for a particular food, except around TOM time (many, many moons ago). I do have "wants" or "I would love to eat" for a particular food but It is a thought and a wish that I can disregard at any time. Can we say the same about cravings, is it something psychological that we use for satisfaction or is it really related to the balance of macros in our diet?

Boy, I am very philosophical :| today...

@neeneileen I do find that if my protein and fats are not balanced during the day, I am more hungry and I tend to graze or snack more. However, and because I don't have a sweet tooth, I will reach for a piece of cheese or some nuts, or fruit like grapes. Take a look at your diary and see if you can identify the reason for those cravings based on what you ate so far, and you may be able to twinkle your diet accordingly.

Yes, I would define food cravings as much stronger than a want as well - they are as strong as when I had issues with alcohol and other substances and behaviors.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I think people use "craving" in lots of inconsistent ways.

For example, people very commonly use it in the sense of wanting something hard to fit in and deciding to wait and have it later in the week if they still want it. That's clearly not something where you feel like you absolutely have to have it right now.

Personally, one thing I've found is that I tend to "crave" foods (as in want very much to have them) that I am in the habit of eating. I will definitely have a strong desire to have a particular food (like salad) as in I can imagine how it would taste, don't really feel like the alternative, so on. I don't think that's inherently bad or something that I would want to have not happen.

When I used to get take out more, I would often be tired and emotionally drained at the end of the day and find myself wanting Indian delivery or some such more. When I got out of that habit and into the habit of cooking consistently, I'd tend to crave the meals I'd cook for myself.