Eczema triggered by sweating

Options
I've had eczema on my scalp forever but never had it treated since nobody can see it (thanks, hair!) and it only causes the occasional itchyness.
Since starting working out, it gets triggered by sweating and becomes extremely uncomfortable, red, itchy and feels like on fire! The extra showers that come with working out, appear to also trigger it.
I have in the past self-treated with steroid cream, but don't want to make that a habit.
It's only on my scalp.
Amy suggestions?

Replies

• Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Also, cream is difficult to apply (hair!) so not very practical.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,385 Member
    Options
    Check what shampoo you’re using as some will trigger my eczema. I can usually use a regular shampoo but when I have an outbreak I use baby shampoo and it helps. I have also put cream or moisturiser all over my head before bed then washed it off in the morning. Wrecks the pillows so put a towel over! Try showering with colder water on your head and don’t tie your hair up too tight.

It’s horrible so I really sympathise.
  • Pearl4686
    Options
    Check what shampoo you’re using as some will trigger my eczema. I can usually use a regular shampoo but when I have an outbreak I use baby shampoo and it helps. I have also put cream or moisturiser all over my head before bed then washed it off in the morning. Wrecks the pillows so put a towel over! Try showering with colder water on your head and don’t tie your hair up too tight.

It’s horrible so I really sympathise.

Thanks, I'll try that!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Have you seen a dermatologist? My sister has had it since she was a child, and has been seeing a dermatologist since childhood. She gets flare ups from stress and certain foods.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I get eczema on other areas, like my hands, and I find that soaps trigger it REALLY bad - and most shampoos have the same ingredients (e.g. sodium lauryl sulfate) so that might be part of your flare up. You might find a shampoo that has no sulfates (the main "soap" ingredient) and see if that helps - that might actually be why baby shampoo is working better for you because those usually are sulfate-free.

There are a lot of shampoos targeted at folks with curly hair that are sulfate-free or have lower/gentler levels - they call these "low-poo" or "no-poo" on a lot of hair forums. Some people also wash with conditioner instead of using shampoo at all, but then you have to be sure none of your products has silicones in it if you do that or you'll get build-up - searching for "curly girl method" can give you some info about that kind of stuff even if you don't have curly hair. They even have tools online that will check a product for sulfates or silicones if you copy-paste the ingredients list, or people maintain spreadsheets of friendly products.
  • Pearl4686
    Options
    I get eczema on other areas, like my hands, and I find that soaps trigger it REALLY bad - and most shampoos have the same ingredients (e.g. sodium lauryl sulfate) so that might be part of your flare up. You might find a shampoo that has no sulfates (the main "soap" ingredient) and see if that helps - that might actually be why baby shampoo is working better for you because those usually are sulfate-free.

There are a lot of shampoos targeted at folks with curly hair that are sulfate-free or have lower/gentler levels - they call these "low-poo" or "no-poo" on a lot of hair forums. Some people also wash with conditioner instead of using shampoo at all, but then you have to be sure none of your products has silicones in it if you do that or you'll get build-up - searching for "curly girl method" can give you some info about that kind of stuff even if you don't have curly hair. They even have tools online that will check a product for sulfates or silicones if you copy-paste the ingredients list, or people maintain spreadsheets of friendly products.

That's very helpful, thanks
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    For me, shampoo and the local water make a huge difference. Depending on your hair type, you may be able to get away with using just conditioner, but it does take an adjustment period. (ETA, this was mentioned above) As long as the water isn't triggering, I also rinse my hair at least as often as I use anything on it, to get the sweat off.

You may also consider an elimination diet to see if any foods are triggering you.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    and also i've found hot water can trigger it. so i try to just do warm water, or cold
  • justanotherjenn
    justanotherjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's eczema and not seborrheic dermatitis? That might make a difference in how you treat it. I know seb derm flares up with sweat.
  • Pearl4686
    Options
    Are you sure it's eczema and not seborrheic dermatitis? That might make a difference in how you treat it. I know seb derm flares up with sweat.

I've never actually considered it being anything else. What is seborrheic dermatitis?
  • justanotherjenn
    justanotherjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/seborrheic-dermatitis/symptoms-causes/syc-20352710

It causes dandruff, oily scalp, red patches, itching. Some people just get the oily scalp with itching, others get the dandruff and scales. You could try using an anti-dandruff shampoo a few times and see if it makes a difference. That's usually a good way to tell if you have it or not.

And like eczema, some get it on their face OR scalp, some get it on both.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    My kiddo had bad eczema when he was a baby, and it was especially bad on his scalp and around his eyebrows. We used to use the Mustela brand products (I think they're called Stelatopia now) for him. Luckily he outgrew the eczema for the most part (but still has sensitive skin). I remember that Tea Tree oil can help as well--there are quite a few shampoos out on the market.
  • curlylocksjenn
    curlylocksjenn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’ve suffered with this for years. What has helped tremendously is putting liquid coconut oil in a dropper bottle. It’s easy to apply on the scalp that way. I agree with the curly girl method as mentioned above. Also if you’re working out or showering more often try not to put your hair into a ponytail. Your scalp needs to dry and get air. I’d tried everything in the past (prescription, over the counter etc) and this is the only thing that gave me real relief.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Sunlight helps mine a lot (UV treatment.) I joke about my "medically necessary mohawk." I shave the back of my neck and over my temples where the flareups hurt worst. I have a couple areas that would look ridiculous shaved, so I just try not to fuss with those areas too much.

As others have advised, I don't use shampoo more than once a week - PARTLY because it makes my eczema worse, and *also* because it removes my hair color faster. ;-) As soon as I'm done with my workout, I rinse my scalp in the shower and sometimes lightly condition and that's it.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Try ‘Simple’ shanpoo - ie mild and scent/colourabt free. It stops my scalp getting aggravated. (The Dove shampoo I can tolerate too)

Try not using shampoo every time you rinse your head!

Try ‘coal tar’ based shampoos - very helpful treatment for a flare up. (From memory Neutrogena does one?). I hardly ever have to use nowadays.