Biking Faster

Options
I want to be able to bike 16 miles per hour for commuting purposes. I do not think it would be practical to train by riding my bike only, so what are some exercises to help with this?

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Anything that will improve your cardiovascular system. Leg strength won't help.

Gear selection can have a profound effect too. Good tires will make you faster than all the squats and leg presses ever will.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I do not think it would be practical to train by riding my bike only, so what are some exercises to help with this?

Is that because you can't ride more, or because you think you need to do other stuff to train effectively?

If the first, then ok... focus on cardiovascular/endurance work.
    If the second, then your wrong. More riding is a great way to become a better rider.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Do you have any hills close by that you can ride up? Training regularly on hills makes you faster on the flats.

In the absence of hills try interval rides (ie going full tilt for a minute or two followed by a few minutes of recovery) alternating with steady state longer rides. You will get faster.....

• Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    What type of terrain are you riding? How far? If there is a lot of stopping and starting, then you may never be able to make that mph. 16 mph is really fast for a commute. I had a friend with a 10 mile commute some of it on a bike trail who managed 15-16 mph, but his top speed without stopping was over 20 mph.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with @Roza42 and my speed varies between 12 mph (through traffic and with inclines) and 17 mph (flat, dedicated bike lanes, good surfaces). Speed is also dependent on the equipment. I improved massively once I moved away from my mountain bike.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you want to get better/faster at riding then ride more.

There really isn't much crossover from strength training in the gym to improving your cycling speed - the exceptions to this are primarilly sprinters working specifically for short burst speed - not speed endurance.

Power in cycling terms is far and away a function of your CV system rather than muscular power and it's riding a lot that produces the adaptations you need to improve that.

At 16mph aero is making a significant impact and the vast majority of your drag is from you and your clothing and riding position and not the bike.

What you may well benefit from is interval training on the bike. If you expand on what is your limiting factor then you can get more specific advice.
    Cadence?
    Hills?
    Endurance?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to bike 16 miles per hour for commuting purposes. I do not think it would be practical to train by riding my bike only, so what are some exercises to help with this?

The best way to get better/faster cycling is to cycle more. More distance will improve your CV system and you can ride faster on shorter rides. Hill repeats are beneficial in developing power. Intervals are good.

I did some cycling specific work in the gym when I was racing and doing more cycling events, but most of my improvement came from time in the saddle...lots of time in the saddle...my wife would say too much time in the saddle which is one of the big reasons I haven't been racing in a couple of years.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Make sure your tires are full and your bike is fitted properly. Do sprints and hills. And it helps me to monitor my heart rate- sometimes it feels like I'm going pretty hard but I have a long way to go before I'm in my upper ranges. I could go a lot harder!
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Spin class?
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    What kind of bike do you commute on? Hope is it set up?
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Clean bike is a fast bike. Keep your drive train clean and use your gears properly. It is more about spinning and keep your cadance up.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Get an ebike and go 20 miles per hour or better B)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    Get an ebike and go 20 miles per hour or better B)

Ride more & go 20mph or more without any assistance......😁
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I'm doing Peleton spin classes at home. I don't own a Peleton but do have an 8 yr old trainer in the garage that shows watt output. (I also ride outdoors but less in winter.)

Peleton app is $19 per month w/o the bike. ($49 with bike....don't get it...). I'm doing power zone training. Doing longer endurance classes a couple of times per week. Speed work (one more threshold pace intervals, one more straight anarobic/power intervals) twice per week. I recommend it. Think I'm going to upgrade the garage bike but probably get a used spin bike as long as it shows watts.

I need to lose about 15 lbs (which is why I'm here...although it used to be 20...). And of course that will help a lot.

But I do recommend the Peleton app for indoor on demand spinning classes. And in particular recommend the power zone ones that were designed to improve outdoor performance. Lastly, anyone can do it. Joe's zone 4 output might be Linda's zone 2...they have zone ("FTP") test to help you figure it out. And, they have a few technical but easy rides where they are trying to teach smooth circular pedal strokes.

Anyway, I would recommend this.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Supple tires. Or tyres if you prefer. People think narrow ones will be faster automatically, probably because of weight and maybe some aero. But there's more to it than that. It takes energy to flatten the bottom of the tire, and as long as the tire is rolling this is constantly happening. (You get some of that energy back when the back of the contact patch springs back to shape, but only some.)

Tires are the #1 best upgrade you can make to any bike. But you can only do it once. Grand Prix 4000 and 5000 are excellent tires.

Every 0.01 crr is like riding up an extra 0.1% gradient. Always, for every mile of every ride. Even when you're riding downhill it's like a less step hill, on the flat you're working exactly as hard as you would going up however step a hill the math works out to with a better tire. Unlike with air resistance this is constant at every speed and not helped by drafting or anything else.

Supple tires grip better in turns too.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    dzmp96gptxj8.jpeg

"Sometimes you find the motivation, sometimes the motivation finds you," LOL.
  • mojavemtbr
    mojavemtbr Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Gear selection can have a profound effect too. Good tires will make you faster than all the squats and leg presses ever will.

Why do you say leg strength wont help ? If leg strength does not help why then do most contemporary cycling coaches recommend adding some weight /strength training to their riders training schedules ???
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    mojavemtbr wrote: »

Why do you say leg strength wont help ? If leg strength does not help why then do most contemporary cycling coaches recommend adding some weight /strength training to their riders training schedules ???

To make them better sprinters, hill climbers or for short duration bursts of power such as breaking away from the peloton.
    Not to improve average speed on a commute.