walnuts???

Options
hi all
i keep hearing that almonds are good for you and that the calories you get from them are well worth it because of that reason..

i'm allergic to almonds

but i love walnuts......they are high in calories so i'm measuring and onyl eating a handful at a time.....

what i'm wondering is how good are they for you?? i'm going to research it of course (no time yet)......but i'm wondering if any MFPers have already researched????

Replies

• russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It's the protein in nuts that's good for you. Calories are the downside of course, but I still munch a (weighed) portion if I have calories to use up at the end of the day and don't want the bulk of a full meal.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    All nuts provide some amount of protein and good fats. Some have a higher ratio of protein to fat, but just about all nuts are good for you in moderation. Walnuts are great, keep eating them!
  • crazycranberry
    crazycranberry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I believe they are very rich in magnesium.

Magnesium is needed for healthy/strong bones and teeth. Also see this link;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12865291

I just brought some more today and am looking forward to sprinkling a few chopped up on my porridge in the morning. Shame they have such a high calorie value or I would munch more.

Enjoy :bigsmile:
  • sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    Options
    Walnuts are very low in Cholesterol and Sodium. It is also a good source of Copper, and a very good source of Manganese, but very very high in calories
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Walnuts are very good for you. They have healthy fat and are very high in antioxidants. There have been studies suggesting a link between eating a handful of walnuts a day and lower stress, lower breast cancer risk and lower risk of heart disease, among other things.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20110328/walnut-may-be-top-nut-for-heart-health
  • Animaniac87
    Options
    I was just going to post something similar to this, luckily I saw this. I'm in the same boat, Almonds make me really itchy but I LOVE pecans. Everything I read on them contradicts the last thing I read. Does anyone know if pecans are considered healthy (in small doses) for you? Or if it's best to stay away?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post something similar to this, luckily I saw this. I'm in the same boat, Almonds make me really itchy but I LOVE pecans. Everything I read on them contradicts the last thing I read. Does anyone know if pecans are considered healthy (in small doses) for you? Or if it's best to stay away?

Pecans are good for you too. Most (maybe all) tree nuts are healthy. .
  • marneymac
    Options
    thanks everyone for your thoughts and information
    i've been using a few (less than a handful) in my salads - that way i don't see them as a stand alone snack and want to keep on munching....i've also added them to hot cereal

b\c i could mindlessly eat a ton of nuts, i make sure to measure, count, and add them to something - i've tricked myself into thinking they're only an "ingredient"