Low Carb Hot Chocolate??

Options
Does anyone have a recipe, or know of a low carb hot chocolate mix, to add to hot water, ultimately giving us hot chocolate taste minus all the carbs? Hot coffee with all the caffeine is not an option. Thanks in advance

Replies

• MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    How many carbs can it have? It has to be a mix?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Sub an artificial sweetener like sucralose for the sugar?

Or you could learn to enjoy it with little to no sugar. Add chilies and cinnamon and drink like the Aztecs supposedly did.

Chocolate and powdered milk (an ingredient in most mixed you add to water) or non dairy substitute) have a certain amount of carbs, so you're not going to be able to eliminate cartons entirely.

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’ve just done a quick search for Keto Hot Chocolate’ on Pinterest and it comes up with quite a lot of results.

Looking at a few of them they tend to rely on Unsweetened Almond Milk (or other low carb plant based milks), Cocoa Powder, and sweeteners. Plus a drop of vanilla or cinammon and some include a spoon or two of heavy cream.

I don’t know how low carb you were looking for and I don’t know the details of numbers involved in Keto style diets but they seem to come in as 5g net carbs.
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    Options
    MarcyMavin wrote: »
    How many carbs can it have? It has to be a mix?

Looking for the lowest amount we can. Onviously won’t be carb free, but the lowest the better.
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    Options
    I’ve just done a quick search for Keto Hot Chocolate’ on Pinterest and it comes up with quite a lot of results.

Looking at a few of them they tend to rely on Unsweetened Almond Milk (or other low carb plant based milks), Cocoa Powder, and sweeteners. Plus a drop of vanilla or cinammon and some include a spoon or two of heavy cream.

I don’t know how low carb you were looking for and I don’t know the details of numbers involved in Keto style diets but they seem to come in as 5g net carbs.

Thanks! Will look into it.
  • MarcyMavin
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Fairlife chocolate milk has 12 G protein and 13 g carb per cup. It’s thick, you could cut it with water and it would still be good. Liquid already though, not a mix.
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    Options
    Fairlife chocolate milk has 12 G protein and 13 g carb per cup. It’s thick, you could cut it with water and it would still be good. Liquid already though, not a mix.

That’s pretty high in carbs for only 8oz.
  • MarcyMavin
    Options

That’s pretty high in carbs for only 8oz.

It’s not for me. That’s why I asked how much you were looking for ;)
  • GraceTutt
    GraceTutt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I make hot cocoa with unsweetened almond milk, Hershey’s cocoa powder, stevia, a little cinnamon and a splash of vanilla.
    In a mug combine 1 tbsp cocoa powder with a tablespoon or two of very hot water to dissolve the cocoa powder. Stir in one cup of almond milk and either heat in a saucepan on the stove or microwave for 1-2 minutes. When hot add 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract & cinnamon and stevia to taste.
    It’s not carb free but it’s good. One tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder has 3g carbs & 2g fiber.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like Sun Warrior chocolate for making hot chocolate...it's a protein powder...I think it's like 3g carbs per scoop or something like that.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    @TheOldBallCoach43420 - check out Mariebelle’s Mayan hot chocolate. - all dark chocolate- no sugar added. If you are in the neighborhood- they have their store in downtown nyc/ it’s awesome!

I like the below product- put in a pan with your choice of water or milk and stir over a low flame.

https://mariebelle.com/shop-online/maya-hot-chocolate-no-sugar-added/
  • Rebekkadorn
    Rebekkadorn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    These are my favourite. I mix it with just water.
    3pycx4vljbc5.png
    hos0ma0kie7u.png
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Add hot water to chocolate protein powder.
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    Options
    These are my favourite. I mix it with just water.
    3pycx4vljbc5.png
    hos0ma0kie7u.png

What is the nutritional value on these?
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    My go-to hot cocoa recipe is to take a heaping tablespoon of cocoa and a teaspoon of sugar, add just enough hot water to turn it into a paste, then add hot milk. If you switch the milk for a lower carb alternative (unsweetened soy, maybe?) and the sugar for a substitute, that would be very low carb.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I know there is one labeled "sensible sweets" by Swiss Miss.

Not a recommendation though. It doesn't really mix together. I don't know how to explain it....everything is just kinda suspended. Wierd, I just drink the no sugar added variety.
  • COLL114
    COLL114 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a recipe, or know of a low carb hot chocolate mix, to add to hot water, ultimately giving us hot chocolate taste minus all the carbs? Hot coffee with all the caffeine is not an option. Thanks in advance

Light or reduced cal swiss miss seems to have 40 cals and 8 g carbs.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Health Wise I buy via Amazon, comes in various flavors. Not cheap. I like the hot chocolate, one with marshmallows, cinnamon. They also have mint, raspberry, mocha and armaretto. Some may have a bit more calories and carbs. But I do not think any have more than 5 carbs.

I mix a packet with 10 oz of hot water.

15g of protein
    Only 80 Calories
    Only 2g net carbs
    Gluten Free
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    Options
    Health Wise I buy via Amazon, comes in various flavors. Not cheap. I like the hot chocolate, one with marshmallows, cinnamon. They also have mint, raspberry, mocha and armaretto. Some may have a bit more calories and carbs. But I do not think any have more than 5 carbs.

I mix a packet with 10 oz of hot water.

15g of protein
    Only 80 Calories
    Only 2g net carbs
    Gluten Free

What brand? Would love to look into this one!

• BlakeProctor
    BlakeProctor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Organifi Gold Chocolate
    Organifishop.com