Green tea

Options
stv1520
stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
I use Costco's Kirkland brand Green Tea, and enjoy it. My question is, does it contain caffeine??? I don't see it listed anywhere on the nutrition notes.

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does. A pretty low amount but it does contain some.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can assume that any tea does have caffeine unless it is specifically labeled as "caffeine-free".
    Green tea is pretty low, though.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Quick info from the internet:

Green and white tea have about 1/3 the caffeine in coffee. Black tea has about half. Hotter water and longer steeping time increases the amount of caffeine.
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    boldknee wrote: »

Green and white tea have about 1/3 the caffeine in coffee. Black tea has about half. Hotter water and longer steeping time increases the amount of caffeine.

Great info thanks-I let the bag stay in the entire time I'm drinking it so maybe I'm getting a bit more caffeine!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    It's a common myth that green tea is low in caffeine. Some are indeed low in caffeine, but some green teas have as much or more caffeine as some black teas. It just depends on the particular tea you're drinking.

Only herbal teas/tisanes, including rooibos (red tea) are completely caffeine free. White, green, and black teas all have caffeine. Decaf teas have a very small amount of caffeine that is probably okay unless you are very sensitive to it.

niewc4anxh3w.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    stv1520 wrote: »
    boldknee wrote: »

Great info thanks-I let the bag stay in the entire time I'm drinking it so maybe I'm getting a bit more caffeine!

Probably. Isn't it terribly bitter towards the end?

When I make green tea, I don't bring the water to a full boil (I use the lowest setting on my electric kettle) and I only steep it 3 minutes. Black tea I steep 5-7 minutes, depending on the brand.