Give up

Anyone just decide to give up? Every day I try and I try and I just end up horribly. I have so much stress in my life that food is my go to comfort and despite promising myself and trying every day.. I fail..fail.. and fail again

I feel like it is hopeless at this point and I’m destined to be fat forever.

Replies

• Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    I have given up and thought to give up more recently yes. No way though. Last time I quit I ended up with a back that hurt me and a gut belly.

Preparing in advance to help yourself make good choices isnt a bad place to start. If you have foods in the house or have a pattern of going to a place that you cant resist certain foods at the moment then maybe change that until you can resist. Help yourself.

I failed a lot recently. My Mum was staying with me and I was eating out a lot. I did it last night, ate a whole bar of chocolate after a curry meal at a restaurant. I felt gross afterwards. I realise Im learning. I realise Im seeing the error of my ways literally. I have to learn in order to change. So perhaps see this as a learning experience and observe what triggers you or what choices you are making that you can alter?

I have MFP friends and I shared my struggle this past week and they were supportive. Do you have a supportive setup personally or here on MFP? That helped me.

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,255 Member
    We all go through these feeling of failure and doubt but try to be positve look for something each day that can make you smile, add some friends to motivate you. Good luck.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    I think a lot of us on MFP have had a similar experience. Sometimes it takes years to get to a place where you can begin to make changes that stick.

That said, I find it helpful to focus on each day in a vacuum. When I am having a rough time, I tell myself that I only have to make it through that one day. Employing that strategy over time leads to weeks and months of being on track. And it gets easier for a time...until it’s hard again. And then, I narrow my focus down to one day again.

Managing weight will never be easy for some of us, but it’s one of those things where the benefits are worth the struggle.
  • darklyndsea
    darklyndsea Posts: 56 Member
    Just try and be 1% better than you were yesterday. 1% more steps, 1% better food choices. Before you know it all those 1%’s will add up to a massive change.

This! Change is hard, and it's harder the bigger the change is. Give yourself permission to start out slowly. Maybe switch out only one meal or snack for a healthier alternative - or even just one ingredient. When that starts to feel normal, switch out a second one as well.

And it sounds like the path to healthier eating might start with figuring out how to reduce your stress or manage it better. I assume you're doing your best to avoid stressful situations, but some are unavoidable. How are you managing your stress, other than food? If food is your only coping mechanism, look up other methods and give them a try.
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    I used to think giving up was easier. That being fat was easier than taking care of myself, getting skinnier and fitter, and feeling better about myself. I still have depression and anxiety and chronic pain, and concern myself with worries that this will or won’t be the cure (hint: it’s not), but in the mean time, if I’m gonna live, I might as well do it trying to get a little less sick, a little less hurt, and a little more comfortable. I have a LONG way to get where I wanna be and I’m not doing everything I should be, but I haven’t given up. Give yourself a break, literally and figuratively. Then hop back up on that wagon and start over.
  • kenrodz422
    kenrodz422 Posts: 11 Member
    Everyone on this thread is on point. And here are my dos centavos (two cents):

22hw8ozutlgi.jpeg

• healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    "If it feels difficult, make it easier". I've typed this several times on this forum lately, but said it to myself countless times. It's always a better choice to look to see how you can relax your own rules, rather than to quit.

I like this a lot!

OP, It's ok to fail, if you keep trying you may find something that works.

What other coping skills do you have for stress besides eating?
  • fairytale_babe
    fairytale_babe Posts: 391 Member
    We all fall off the wagon! I literally had ice cream for my snack🤣 made my teenager finish the rest so there was no more 🤣 but that's what it's about falling off jumping back on body fitness models have a cheat meal afterwards. Because we're only human! As long as you keep trying, just keep going. Tomorrow's a new day. Be kinder to yourself also, tell yourself 3 nice things everyday and mean it even it's ...your hair looks great. I like that shirt. Sounds dumb but that really helped me.