High rep weight training not helping me get stronger

Options
Hello,

I've switched to a high rep, 10-15 reps, 3 sets workout for a few months now. My trainer suggested it as I wanted functional strength to compliment my bouldering. The thing is I've not been able to increase the weight i use for a few months. General lifting and gym machines. I can't afford a trainer anymore. Any ideas what I can do? It's a bit demotivating not to see any improvement.

Thanks

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »

In particular look at the AllPro programme. It is an 8-12 rep range, but you could run it at the 10-15 rep range (can be run at lower rep range also). You’d just use a 12RM as a beginning guideline. Or, start a few lbs down from what you are lifting now. All your progression and deloads are built in.

It is written as a barbell programme, but can be run using dumbbells and machines, just make sure you are doing an equivalent exercise (engaging the same muscle group, push or pull).

Cheers, h.

ETA: your rep range is leaning more towards endurance than strength.
    You were probably given that range because the bouldering calls for that.
    A 3x5, 5x5 programme done for a few months, then switching to a more endurance focused programme may be a way to increase your strength faster if that is what you want.

PS, I’m not a purist when it comes to someone who is doing recreational lifting for health and fitness. I know if one changes the equipment some say your not doing the programme, I think it ok to say your routine is based on ******, but with subs.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    You're only engaging your slow-twitch fibers with those high reps. Fast-twitch are just chilling, along for the ride. You've gotta perk 'em up too for gAiNZzZ. ;)

I'd suggest Reverse Pyramid Training (RPT) which is three different sets with three different weights. It's designed to make all your muscle fibers work.
    First set is the heaviest (3-5ish reps to failure).
    Second set is a little lighter, targeting about 8 reps to failure.
    Third set is the lightest, aiming for 12-15 reps.

That's the basics. You can read more; just search it.

Slightly more details:
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/reverse-pyramid-training

Original source, for super-details:
    https://leangains.com/reverse-pyramid-training-guide/
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    Hello,
    The thing is I've not been able to increase the weight i use for a few months.
    What does this mean? What happens when you attempt to increase the weight?

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you want strength endurance for your bouldering (which I'm guessing is why your trainer suggested the high rep range) then there's a trade off in low rep absolute strength.

Priorities/goa;s lead to choices but those choices also come with compromises.
    Are you solely judging your "improvement" in terms of lifting a higher weight or would you also see doing more reps at the same weight as an improvement bearing in mind your stated training goal?

If you want a bit of everything then don't just train in one particular rep (and RPE) range.

PS - I'm not against machines at all (and you don't mention which one you use) but a bit dubious they are the best choice for your goal.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    “Functional strength” is one of those BS terms that doesn’t really mean anything. But if you are going to train at higher reps, you need to go to failure n your sets. That’s what current research indicates.

That can be an issue if you are doing compound free weight exercises since form can be compromised.

Right now I would recommend that you spend some time back at heavier weights. You can go to within 2 reps to failure and do more sets to maintain volume.

There is no substitute for strength.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to increase your strength in the 10-15 rep range then you need the same type of stimulus as any other measure of strength.

A progressive overload.

This doesn't mean we need to increase the weight to see progress, just the load.

Not knowing your programming and how you respond to it makes it difficult to give optimal suggestions.

In general one could add a set with a appropriate intensity and that will almost always kick start progress in most less experienced lifters.

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    Due to my sport, I tend towards higher rep lifting as well. However, there are times I need to drop my reps to increase the weights. I find it doesn't take too long (few weeks) to get back to my higher reps, but at first, I'll go from 8-15 (depending on the particular lift) reps, with 3-5 sets, down to 6 or so reps with the same number of sets. I can add another rep just about every week though, sometimes 2 (not always, but in general).

It's a bit of a give and take...I have some exercises where upping the weight is really, really hard, so I will do extra reps until I can up the weight (with much lower reps).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Due to my sport, I tend towards higher rep lifting as well. However, there are times I need to drop my reps to increase the weights. I find it doesn't take too long (few weeks) to get back to my higher reps, but at first, I'll go from 8-15 (depending on the particular lift) reps, with 3-5 sets, down to 6 or so reps with the same number of sets. I can add another rep just about every week though, sometimes 2 (not always, but in general).

It's a bit of a give and take...I have some exercises where upping the weight is really, really hard, so I will do extra reps until I can up the weight (with much lower reps).

This is the general approach that should work well for most people. For various reasons, one may not want a steady diet of heavy lifting, but you have to routinely cycle through phases of higher stimulus to make continued progress.