snacking

Options
First I am going to say that I am trying the low carb way of life - not keto. I was doing really well of not snacking and having good meals until I went on vacation in August. Now I am having a hard time giving up my snacking just before I go to bed. That was one bad habit I had before I started this journey. Now I am back at it after a year and half. Ugh. I need help in stopping this snacking. Any suggestions other that will power. At this point that is running low. Thank you.

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Unless that snacking takes you over your calorie goal there’s no reason to give it up. Just factor it in to your daily calories and enjoy it!

There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with a late night snack! I’m not sure why you think of it as a ‘bad habit’?
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Snack on raw veggies.
    A lot of chewing for not many calories.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    If I just portion out my snack and put the rest away I do ok. (rather than, say, bringing an entire bag of chips with me to the couch. Then I will just sit there and keep eating)

I also log my nighttime snack ahead of time, early in the day. That way as I add food, my snack calories are already factored in.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I save calories for a small snack in the evening, it helps me sleep better. I log it, make sure it fits, put the package away, then eat. There is nothing wrong with a late night snack, unless it puts you over your calorie goal or affects your sleep.

If it's a habit you want to break, the best way to break one habit is replace it with another. Brainstorm some easy ideas to keep you busy when the trigger strikes (a crossword puzzle book, knitting, doodling, reading, whatever) and place a reminder of the better habit somewhere you will typically see it when you get snacky. Then resolve to first do this new behavior rather than snack.

I sometimes find a diet soda or a cup of tea with a small piece of dark chocolate will work for minimal calories. Also brushing my teeth when I simply can't get the call to snack out of my head. Nothing tastes good after toothpaste :confounded:
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I agree that snacking doesn't have to be "bad" as long as it's within your calorie limit.

However, if you feel like it's hindering your weight loss, maybe there are ways to cut out that pre-bedtime snack. Is there a particular place in your house (in front of the tv, at the computer, etc.) where you find you snack more? Are there certain snacks that you might be better off not having in the house at all? Have you tried brushing your teeth as soon as you're done eating for the day so you're less tempted to snack?

Try not to be too hard on yourself, or too restrictive with your food. Lots of people eat small meals and snacks throughout the day, it just depends what works best for you.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    If you really like the snacking, can you save cals for it? If it's just a desire to nibble on something, I also second the suggestion for something low cal like raw veg.

Personally, I prefer using my cals in meals and found I don't miss snacking at all, but that's just a personal preference. If you love your evening snack just plan for it.

(I wonder if sometimes people see snacking as an uncontrolled, mindless, unlogged way of eating, and that's why it feels troubling. If that's the case, I'd change it to planned or do the raw veg and log something for them.)
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I save calories back each day for a couple snacks that aren't considered the healthiest. As long as they are figured into my deficit, no problem. Other healthier snacks I like are carrots, apples, cucumbers (spicy), cherry tomatoes, or a nice big salad with low calorie dressing.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Plan your day ahead. Build in a snack or two that you can eat if you are hungry (but not so big where skipping them would be a problem). Make sure you're eating enough in general - I've recently started low carb (for non-weight related reasons to see if it helps) and find I struggle a bit to actually make my calories in a day if I'm not tracking them. Could be you're not eating enough, too.
  • stacyhyoung1
    stacyhyoung1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I always had enough calories (most of the time). It was the carbs I never had enough of. But starting today I am going to change that!! I am going to watch everything I eat. I really need to loose this weight!! Thank you again!