Breastfeeding

Options
I'm breastfeeding, just gave birth 10 days ago. I'm down 15lbs already. I want to lose about 20 more lbs. I was obese before I got pregnant. I weigh less now than before pregnancy.
I want to keep on track without being unhealthy and continuing to breastfeed. So my questions are:
What activity level do I set my profile at? I'm a stay at home mom with 3 toddler boys, and a ton of animals and a house to care for. I sit to nurse and do take breaks.
How many calories a day should I consume? Should I even worry about that if I'm eating clean?
I unintentionally do intermittent fasting. By time I get my kids, animals, and house in order it's about 11am before i consume calories.
I'd like to be at goal weight or close to by end of march.

Replies

• erikaramirez4872
    erikaramirez4872 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I honestly would have no idea, because you don't want to go to low in calories or you're milk will deplete. You could always call your Dr. Or who ever See's you for your follow-up's. They would have a better idea. Good luck 👍
  • Annieloujackson
    Annieloujackson Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There is a breastfeeding entry. Set your activity level to whatever you are, then press a meal and type in breastfeeding. It will subtract 500 calories if I remember correctly. Take care of yourself!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm breastfeeding, just gave birth 10 days ago. I'm down 15lbs already. I want to lose about 20 more lbs. I was obese before I got pregnant. I weigh less now than before pregnancy.
    I want to keep on track without being unhealthy and continuing to breastfeed. So my questions are:
    What activity level do I set my profile at? I'm a stay at home mom with 3 toddler boys, and a ton of animals and a house to care for. I sit to nurse and do take breaks.
    How many calories a day should I consume? Should I even worry about that if I'm eating clean?
    I unintentionally do intermittent fasting. By time I get my kids, animals, and house in order it's about 11am before i consume calories.
    I'd like to be at goal weight or close to by end of march.

You need to find out from your ob/gyn how many extra calories you should eat to keep up your supply.

I have seen a number of veteran MFPers say they set their goal to maintenance and let breastfeeding create their deficit to lose weight.

I would strongly urge you not to set a timetable for weight loss postpartum. Creating and delivering a small human put enormous stress on your body and creates wild hormonal fluctuations. Your priority right now should be letting your body recover and taking care of and enjoying your baby. Considering you have a gaggle of toddlers, refueling and healing your body may very well be a full time job. Just keep heading in the right direction and understand your body just might need more time than you want it to take.

Congrats!
  • misclaire81
    misclaire81 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    breastfeeding consumes between 300 and 500 calories from the mothers energy a day from feeding, so you need to eat the equivalent of that to keep your energy and supply up, but please consult you GP/OBGYN for your specific needs as it does vary depending on the child. My son at like he was twins! I was soooo frickin tired all the time.